i want to learn music theroy - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

i want to learn music theroy

is there a program that can teach me about it? thanks and can some one tell me what i can learn in it, cause i want to learn lots of scales and stuff like js and steve vai :P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 03:10 PM

Reviews: 13
Re: i want to learn music theroy

this is a life long pursuit my man. best thing i can tell you is to find a great teacher. i say internet learning is one thing, but it tends to be disorganised etc.

satch taught vai. that illustrates what im talking about. the people you learn from influence you, so find yourself a jedi and become a padawan.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

damn i gusse were gunna have to move to nashville or vegas then gunna be wiaitng a few months :P
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 04:58 PM

while youre waiting learn all the chords you can. know your major from minor from sevenths etc.

then start looking at scales. i recommend starting with the minor pentatonic.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 05:55 PM

This is post I wrote a while ago on another board, you might find it useful, although I don't know what level you're at. When initially learning I'd use an approach something like this.

"If your goal is learning about writing a song in key and playing in key it's really hard to find a book that teaches scale and chord theory in a concise and efficient way without missing out massive pieces of information. A lot of them also teach in a really long and drawn out manner. I think your best bet is to google "guitar chord theory".

Most of them like to talk note names (like C, E, G) which is very, very far from the most efficient way of learning chord theory on the guitar. Because you can move shapes up and down the neck on guitar it is more about intervals and shapes than note names. If you know how to do a major barre chord at the third fret, you automatically know how to do a major barre chord in every fret - the only note you need to know is the root note (what I mean is you need to know that G occurs on the bottom string at the third fret if you want to play a G major chord). What the name of the other notes in the chord is doesn't really matter. So going on and on and on about note names in chords is not an efficient way to learn on guitar.

To get you started, here's a major scale on the guitar starting on the bottom string. The notes have been labelled 1 through 7 which is important for the next step of constructing a chord.

Once you know this shape, you can play the major scale in every key by just moving the shape up and down the neck. If you start with the "1" on the third fret, bottom string, you'll play a G major scale.

Chords are constructed by playing certain notes from the scale at once. A major chord consists of the 1st, 3rd and 5th note of the scale, played together. A minor chord is the same as a major, except you play a flat 3rd. So you play the first and fifth notes of the major scale, but you move the third note back one fret.

This page will help you further:

http://www.fretjam.com/guitar-chord-theory.html

It's not a bad page, but misses out the first step I just outlined which is fairly crucial. If you look at their image of a major chord, you will see how the notes line up with the major scale above:

Notice how a minor chord is the same, but flattens the 3rd:

This might get you started in the right direction if it's what you are after. Learning how you come up with the chords in a certain key is the next step, but you have to get this stuff down before you move onto that. But once you learn this, and how to come up with chords in a certain key, you'll be able to write songs in any key and improvise over those chords in key (whether your notes sound any good is another matter and requires practice, but you have to know where the right notes are to begin with).

The other nice thing about understanding this stuff is that you can play any chord you want once you can read chord names (which isn't hard). It might take you a minute to figure out but if a song has an Am7add13 you could do it without referring to a book or anything. If you are a professional session player, of course you know zillions of chord shapes already, but for bedroom playing you don't need to memorise zillions of chord shapes, you just have to know how to make them (or you need a big-ass chord shape book and refer to it all the time)."

Hope that helps.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 06:47 PM

i'd suggest taking some theory courses at your local college. you can find all of the theory information on the internet, but the value comes from someone explaining things to you because you will have questions...lots of them. also, when i was taking music theory, a huge part of learning was analyzing pieces. this is basically what theory is; analysis of all of the musical techniques used from past to present. it can be a very useful tool and i'm very glad that i have it. i also know that it doesn't mean you will be a great songwriter, guitar player or even a great musician.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 07:39 PM

Start learning how to read and write music.
You'll learn a lot of theory on the process.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

i gotta start with the beginner stuff first. Like all i know is the lines on the staff and stuff like that. My guitar teacher really didn't teach me about the theroy or he just didn't know anything about it lol. So >.> ile try to understand it tho o.o
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 10:29 PM

Reviews: 2

http://www.8notes.com/theory/

Have fun.

It obviously doesn't cover everything, but it covers quite a bit of stuff. If you want to learn about something, google it.

The main thing to know is how scales are constructed, chords are constructed, and how chords fit into scales. If you know that, as well as rhythm (obviously), and of course how to apply everything to the instrument you play, you should know enough to get started.

P.S. Am I the only one who hate these fretboard diagrams? They don't follow the 3 notes per string thing at all and are not efficient when it comes to playing fast. They threw me off so much until I watched Paul Gilbert's intense rock vids.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 12:04 AM

There are shapes used for theoretical purposes and shapes used for technique purposes. I think most people find they are usually not one and the same.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 12:11 AM

Here's the secret to anything you want to learn in life. From music theory, to killing...

ready?

www.youtube.com
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Thep View Post
Here's the secret to anything you want to learn in life. From music theory, to killing...

ready?

www.youtube.com
LOL ... The problem is that many people who give "lessons" in youtube don't even know what they're doing or what they're talking about.

My advice: you wanna learn something? google it
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Killer View Post
LOL ... The problem is that many people who give "lessons" in youtube don't even know what they're doing or what they're talking about.

My advice: you wanna learn something? google it
well......depends who you watch. There's alot of Dave Wiener lessons that would be helpful to anyone wanting to learn theory. Also, its easy to find professionally made videos with diagrams, samples, dialogue etc., I wouldn't watch people just talking through a webcam.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 11:20 PM

Also, whatever you do, don't EVEN LOOK at any 'expert village' videos. Those are the most useless pieces of trash on the internet.

My advice when it comes from learning from Youtube videos is to look for ones from famous artists, and not just ones from youtube users. Even the guys who have no idea of how to teach at all (Yngwie, Synyster Gates, etc) usually will have a lot more information than youtube users. There is a few genuinely excellent users on youtube, who can even teach well, but they are so few and far between it's not even worth looking at them.

Learning and analysing tabs is another good thing you can do. Working out chord progressions, harmonies, what intervals are where, etc can really help your own ideas and even be fun!
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Thep View Post
well......depends who you watch. There's alot of Dave Wiener lessons that would be helpful to anyone wanting to learn theory. Also, its easy to find professionally made videos with diagrams, samples, dialogue etc., I wouldn't watch people just talking through a webcam.
Yeah that's true. If I'm going to watch a lesson in youtube, I always make sure it is a video of a famous and good guitar player (petrucci, gilbert, friedman, etc).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode