Idiot's guide for using a Floyd Rose...anyone????? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Idiot's guide for using a Floyd Rose...anyone?????

ok, i just bought and RG350DX and im having trouble tuning. i dont have experience with floating tremolos so please help me out as to what process u normally take, and if u can let me know how to change strings too. I have an idea but id like to know some do's and dont's that dont neccessarily come on the instruction mannual. anybody imput at all is encouraged.

Thank you very much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 08:06 PM

Um, try looking here first: http://jemsite.com/tech/index.htm
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

i need tips for tuning?
whats like the best way for tuning, u tune them in pairs of twos, when theyre tuned u lock them and then go on to the other two pairs. is that the way it works? please help. treat me like i know nothing of floyd rose guitars.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 12:10 AM
Vendor

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

i dont get it...
ok first u tighten them up...right? until their not wobbly...(?)
then u start sort of tuning. then u lock them and use the knobs on the tremolo. god this guitar makes me feel stupid.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 12:38 AM
Vendor

If you're changing all the strings at once slowly wind each string a little at a time until you get them in tune [is what it's says]. then strtch the crap out of them until they won't stretch anymore. Retune, then lock down. Whammy the crap out of it stopping on a rise to neutral. Unlock the nut and re-fine tune [with the tuners]. Lock down the nut. The only time you use the fine tuners on the trem are when the nut is locked.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

no, im not changing the strings at all.
theyre the same strings (still the factory ones), except it just got untuned.
Everytime i try to tune heres my procedure
a) i tune E and A and then lock it, the same with the D and G and with B and E

the problem is by the time i get to the high E the low E is already out of tune, i suppose bc the tension it used to have due to the tension i changed on the other strings...do u know what im saying?

my problem is i was never taught how to tune these guitars. and i dont know anybody here that owns one, who could help me....i do appreaciate taking ur time to explain.

really, all i need to know is the process u take to tune ur guitar. but any help at all is more than welcome.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 07:29 PM
Vendor

Nothing get's locked down until the whole bridge is in tune. Otherwise follow the directions.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-25-2003, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

there are parts when it says to slacken the strings.
Theyre already tight. Theyre just out of tune with each other.
Am i suppossed to loosen them up? if so, to what extent? just let the tremolo hit the limit and completely loosen up the strings???
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-25-2003, 03:33 PM
Vendor

Then tweak them around until they are in tune, and don't stop till they are.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-25-2003, 03:50 PM

Rich you're a saint. :P
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-26-2003, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

ok, so to begin retuning, i have to loosen them up entirely???
but wont that mess up the springs???
please answer soon...
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-26-2003, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
If you're changing all the strings at once slowly wind each string a little at a time until you get them in tune [is what it's says]. then strtch the crap out of them until they won't stretch anymore. Retune, then lock down. Whammy the crap out of it stopping on a rise to neutral. Unlock the nut and re-fine tune [with the tuners]. Lock down the nut. The only time you use the fine tuners on the trem are when the nut is locked.
It's really just that simple my friend.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-26-2003, 02:11 PM
Vendor

Tune all the flat strings up to pitch, detune all the sharp strings to pitch, repeat, repeat, repeat until finished.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

ok..
what i did was this:
to begin i detuned every single string until the tremolo hit the limit of looseness. then starting with E (6th string) i tuned until in tune, and then A, D, G, B, and E. then i repeated the exact same process until it sounded alright.
now the problem is now the tremolo is lifted upwards....i know that isnt right. so...how do u prevent that? id really rather not mess with the springs in the back of the guitar cuz i dont think im qualified for it.
IM NOT CHANGING THE STRINGS JUST YET (that'll be another thread ) but please help
thank u for ur time....
i really appreciate anyones help.

Tags
floating tremolo , floyd rose , floyd rose guitar , lock nut

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode