improvement - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

improvement

If you played fanatically for 10 months, and you were playing the right stuff how much would you improve.
When i say fanatically i mean about 40 hours per week. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 05:14 PM

how would one go about answering that?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 07:52 PM

Reviews: 5
there's no hard limit that applies to all of us. You will achieve what your intellect and your biology allow. Your tendons, muscles, and memory will determine that.

However, I can't warn you enough about hurting yourself. Never continue to play if your arm, wrist, fingers, or elbow hurt. Don't take the Vince Lombardi approach to guitar. You don't have to hurt or bleed to be getting better.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 09:20 PM

The only thing you can be sure about is that you would improve...it really depends what you call improvement - speed, phrasing, articulation? If you just mean technique (which alone does not make you a good guitarist)...you could probably go from a beginner to a fully technically proficient guitarist...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 08:09 AM

I read your work out plan. I think if you follow that for the next 10 months you will be a very good technical guitarist. However you will not have soul. You need to spend years with an instrument to be able to compose good stuff...
You need to grow as a person with your instrument, maturing in years and emotions.
I've been playing for a couple of years, and while being proficient techique-wise, i have a long way to go composition wise.
It's all very well to say this chord works with this scale, or this chord goes well under this lick, but to have real feeling, you must completely master technique, have at least the basic understanding of theory, but most importantly, have SOUL
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globbits
It's all very well to say this chord works with this scale, or this chord goes well under this lick, but to have real feeling, you must completely master technique, have at least the basic understanding of theory, but most importantly, have SOUL
Extremely good point! I appreciate and realise what you have all added, it was merely one of my spontaneous passing thoghts, thanks for your input.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 08:35 PM

Hey dudes... The "soul" part is all determined by the player... If you for example already have played another instrument with similar possibilities in terms of vibrato, etc... Or if you have a feeling for that already, then (with good influences) i think you might be playing with soul within 10 months... If you have never played another instrument seriously before, then it will take years...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 09:00 PM

Technique

It say,s playing the RIGHT stuff for forty hours a week will improve your technique alot, but what is the RIGHT stuff
I ask this because i have been playing about a year and i practice about 30-40 hours a week and although i am improving i am not happy with my progress considering how much i practice so am i practicing the wrong stuff? i roughly split my time 50/50 between practice and playing and the things i practice are scales, chord work and rhythem, has any one got any sugestions as to what i should be practicing to get my tech up to scratch
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 02:39 AM

Check out some instructional vids... Petrucci's are great for getting your technique together (including legato), as well as for inspiration... check out Paul Gilberts as well, then, listen a lot to satch if you want to play like him... He does a lot of very agressive blues-playing, so you really should get in to the blues as well.... One good advice i have for developing, is selecting a song you cant play at the moment, and learn it, and work on it... Put up a dead-line, and practice like mad till that day, then, when youre able to pull it of, youll find you learned a lot of useful stuff in the process...

Tags
paul gilbert , paul gilberts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode