Improving our playing - sharing practice technique and ideas - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Improving our playing - sharing practice technique and ideas

I thought it would be cool if we could all share some technique exercises with each other. * Please share some of the ways you improve things like sweeping, speed picking, tapping, or anything you think is cool. * *

For example:* *
I have begun to work on my sweeping and this is the exercise I use to warm up.

--------------------15^12----------------------------------17^
----------------13----------13---------------------------15----
------------12------------------12-------------------14--------
--------14--------------------------14-----------16------------
----15----------------------------------15-/-17----------------
---------------------------------------------------------------
* * * * * * * * * * * * * **pull * * * * * * * * * * * * slide * * * * * * * * * * * * pull

-----14-----------------------------------19^15------------------
---------15---------------------------17----------17--------------
-------------14-------------------16------------------16----------
-----------------16-----------17--------------------------17------
---------------------17-/-19---------------------------------19---
-----------------------------------------------------------------0-
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * slide * * * * * * * * * * ** *pull

I do this in various positions, starting slow and increasing the speed as I get better. *
I hope my tab is accurate I'm new to this.

(Edited by JT Szymanski at 7:55 pm on Aug. 15, 2001)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 09:35 PM

Improving our playing

This got me started sweep picking. Shown in A. Sweep down to the high e 17th (A) and back to up to A sting 12th (A). Sounds nice if picked at high speed correctly.

-----------------------------12-17-12------------------------------
--------------------------13------------13--------------------------
---------------------14---------------------14----------------------
----------------14-------------------------------14-----------------
----12----15-----------------------------------------15---12~~~
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me know what you think.:beammeup:..

~R~
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 12:56 PM

Improving our playing

In light of the following (brilliant) post, I've decided to delete this mindless, mechanical, alternate picking exercise.

(Edited by Vai is God at 7:18 pm on Aug. 16, 2001)
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 06:46 PM

Improving our playing

I once tried to set up a practice regimen, in the vein of Vai's 10 hour workout. (obviously it was dramatically shorter LOL) I wasn't too successful.. I tried amassing some warm up exercises, technical exercises, chord exercises, ....blah blah blah. Actually I got a lot of ideas from Vai's 10 hour workout. And although I did practice some things for the first couple days I quickly got bored (but I did practice a Paul Gilbert string skipping exercise to a metrone for two hours non stop!). I couldn't imagine sitting down to force my playing like this every day. Plus it would make me a more mechanical player - not cool.
  • So here's my suggestion - which is actually what I'm trying to start doing now:
  • 1. Explore music, explore the guitar... To me the best guitar lessons aren't ones that show you 'hot licks', but rather ones that inspire and motivate you to try new ideas. Check out these links:
    This and this are both Satriani interviews on Guitar.com. Check out the two video lessons (they are at the top of the left sidebar.). Massive inspiration.

Also, I strongly recommend Joe Satriani's "Guitar Secrets" book, a compilation of columns he wrote for Guitar magazine years ago. Search for it here. What I plan to do is spend a day (or more) 's worth of practice time on each individual column, first reading, then exploring the idea. His topics range from one-string scales, a natural-harmonic map, to harmonized scales, and 'endless' minor scale improvisation. And..
  • 2. Learn a song you think is "impossible." Impossibility is subjective of course: if you hear something that you think is impossible then obviously it isn't if you're hearing it! (Zappa's Synclavier pieces excluded! :loco: ) I did this a few years back with "For the Love of God," which to this day is still the greatest thing that ever happened to my technique in the five or so years I've been playing. After that I tackled "Tender Surrender," which strengthened my legato technique immensiely. Soon I plan to nail the whole "Fire Garden Suite," which is an equally incredible piece of music.

I wish you luck in the search for chops and inspiration, but most of all... HAVE FUN and make music with the guitar. That's what it's there for, after all... not endless impersonal mechanical practice...

-Justin
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 10:15 PM

Improving our playing

Justin's right; practicing mindless technical exercises drastically hinds creativity. *While it works wonders for those hands (if, in fact, you are practicing correctly...), it just leads to incredibly boring soloing ideas. *I can't remember the last time I actually practiced; ie, with a metronome, or playing scales up and down and up and down...but my God I don't miss that. *The best practice (imo, of course) is taking your favorite songs, writing/recording your own progressions, etc., and jamming over them. *You're learning something here along with developing the fingers.

But hey - if you want to practice with these types of exercises, that's your choice; nobody's stopping you. *Neither way is the "right" way. *Choose accordingly.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 11:20 PM

Improving our playing

I think it's good to use both kinds of practice. Mindless finger practice and musicial practice. I used to spend alot of time just working on trying to be musical, then tried to get my technique together. I spent most of my time this summer practicing technique, but about half way though I decided to try to balance out pure technique practice and more musical practice(phrasing, vibrato, jamming, sight reading). I've made the biggest gains doing both at the same time insted of 1 then the other. The thing that helped me improve the most is a tape recorder. Record youself jamming and listen back to it, the tape never lies and it all ways tells me what I need to work on.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 11:20 PM

Improving our playing

Thanks ViG. lol. Jackson, you brought up a good point about the impact technical exercises have on your playing. How you practice inherently influences your playing at least somewhat. I agree, jamming over chord progressions idea is a good way to practice as well (especially fusion progressions!).

Don't get me wrong, technique is important; just don't let it become your playing style. Music is about expression, not how many notes you can play a second, so IMO practicing technique - mechanically or not (preferably not) - is good until you reach a point where you are not limited in creatively expressing yourself anymore. After that, you won't need to 'practice' or 'maintain' your technique if you're playing on a consistent basis.[list]However, if I were to come up with a list of things that should be practiced IMO, here it is:
[*]Originality above all else. There is no way to mechanically practice this, either.[*]Improvisation. Pretty much goes hand in hand with originality but involves things like spontaneity and theory as well.[*]Theory. Even just enough to play in key is fine, although obviously a solid grasp on the subject will get you much farther.[*]Chords & scales. Related to improvisation and equally important. [*]Technique. I will emphasize the point I made above - chops are to be used with discrection and taste. Don't limit yourself with mediocre technique, but don't become a robot by not 'practicing' the other four items.

If you would like to see my completely un-mechanical approach to scales, check out my long post in this thread. This wouldn't be hard to adapt to chords either.

Good luck,
Justin
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 02:40 AM

Improving our playing

Hey, Jackson, I'm with you there. *I threw out my metronome months ago and I don't miss or regret it at all. *To me, it felt more like a hindrance than an asset. *Now, I mainly focus on making music. *I usually improv over backing tracks or create new kinds of grooves and progressions. *My playing chops and creativity has been improving ever since, even better than my old way of practicing. *And, it is a lot more fun for me that way too

Sixstringphoenix, all GREAT points!
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 01:24 PM

Improving our playing

Terrific! *Bravo to you all.

As I always had done in the past, I will use this post to my advantage and segue to http://jemsiteforum.com/board/topic....&topic=101. *I posted this a couple days ago; the whole thing is improv - a big ol' jam. *If I had done this exact same jam months ago I wuldn't have been able to exhibit the same control. *Way back when, when I used to practice the technical exercises, day in and day out, it was hard to find any sort of real melody in my original stuff. *In this file, however, I was able to keep my hands under control and concentrate on the music. *I believe this comes from a method of practice much like Justin's method; jamming to my favorite Vai songs, or whathaveyou.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 10:18 AM

Improving our playing

I gave up doing excercises ages ago, and instead have just been improvising over anything i can get my hands on for the past 5-6 years, occasionally learning something new along the way, and even though I can't play na million notes a second, I can sound tunefull and play over anything, it makes jamming so much cooler! And I definetly think it's done my creativity good!

But then again i did also recently realise i need to practice a bit as well, as there are some things i can't do that well...But i do incorporate excercises into my improv occasionally which helps...
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Improving our playing

I don't think any serious guitarist wants to sound like a repeatitive machine. *Individuality and expression is what music is all about. *However, it is obviously important to improve all areas of playing inculding physical techniques such as speed and more importantly accuracy. *You guys are all correct: there is no substitute for creativity. *Nobody wants to lose his or her creativity. *But, there is no way people are playing stuff by Via and the like without a serious practice routine including exercises to impove technique.

So I started this thread with the intent that all of us could share some practice exercises with each other. *We can all learn from one another. *So post the practice exercises that helped you increase speed, accuracy, vibrato, trem bar, sweeps, taps, ect. * Anything from basic stuff like runing up and down a scale to advanced techniques, if it worked for you it may work for others.
The more we know the better we are able to express musical ideas :^)
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 06:30 PM

Reviews: 5
Improving our playing

for sweeping practice, I like to use Pachabel's Canon. *Check the lesson posted in this forum for the tab, and I've just posted a recording and backing track for it as well.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Improving our playing

Quote:
Quote: from jem7vwh on 5:30 pm on Aug. 21, 2001
for sweeping practice, I like to use Pachabel's Canon. *Check the lesson posted in this forum for the tab, and I've just posted a recording and backing track for it as well.
This is great, I can't wait to get off work and try it out.
Thanks for the post.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 07:38 PM

Improving our playing

I had a fairly long reply typed out but I stopped for a bit and went out to GC. My mom got on the computer and closed out everything I had open.

I'll post my thoughts in a little while.

-Justin
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-22-2001, 06:44 PM

Improving our playing

I am just a beginner, well actually I have been playing for many years but never had to do guitar execises because I am just beginning this style you guys call shred. *To learn how to tap I have picked up the tab for Eddie Van Halen's 316. *IMO this is an awsome piece of guitar athletics. *I have not yet heard much Via or Satch or the others you guys are allways talking about. *But from what I have heard I have not been as impressed as the first time I saw Eddie do 316. *Other than this piece I practice things like scales with a metronome. *A good one is the chromatic, start slow and each day bump it up a few bpm. *Befor long you will be much faster.

Tags
alternate picking , backing track , chord progression , chord progressions , eddie van halen , fire garden , fret board , guitar mag , joe satriani , legato technique , local music store , music store , paul gilbert , steve morse , string skipping , sweep picking , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode