Improvising & the mind - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 06:23 AM Thread Starter

Improvising & the mind

I want to know how people think while they're improvising. You see, cause I've read like tons of stuff on how to improvise but I just don't like the way most people think about it. They say that you're suppose to picture every scale in every key all over the neck at once and for me that just seems like impossible.
Lately I've been working on a new way of thinking in which i learn all the notes of the major scales in every key completely and then I just alter them by lowering or sharpening the notes that I'll have to in order to improvise over a certain chord.
For example:
If I'd be playing over a B7b9 chord then I take the B major scale B,C#,D#,E,F#,G#,A# and
what I do with it is that I just lower the 2nd, 3rd, 6th and the 7th note in order to make it become the phrygian scale in the key of B.
So in the end I'll only have to know the major scales and the basic formulas for the more exotic scales which for me seems pretty good as I then get rid of "boxes"
Also this way of playing is good when you want to learn how to read sheet music as I learn the notes while others learn where to place their fingers.

I have been working a lot on how to make improvising easier by approaching from different perspectives and I must say that I like this way of playing.

People might say that you'll be pretty locked up with one chord while playing maybe jazz but I'd say that as one learns the notes so very well you'll know exactly what to do if you want to play something that goes the same over many chords, eg. II V I progression.

Last edited by Hjalmar Jakobsson; 01-04-2010 at 07:07 AM. Reason: the spelling:)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 06:35 AM

Re: Improvising & the mind

I thought this was interesting and thought worthy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEcKlKyYz08
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 03:54 PM

Re: Improvising & the mind

That's a great approach. It's nothing new, but it works.
If I'm improvising over Jazz changes I've never seen/heard before and I don't have a chance to look at them properly first, my thought process becomes very much centered around the chord shapes in the music rather than the scales. (as you desribed above)

This way, if I am in a panic, (which I usually am in this scenario) I can more or less hit a right note because I find the chords easier to picture in a short space of time.

With this approcah you start to learn which note is the b9 or the #5 etc in the chord which is quite often overlooked when people learn chords

Tags
arpeggios , improvisation , scales , sweep , technique

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode