Incubus - A Crow Left Of The Murder - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-17-2003, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Incubus - A Crow Left Of The Murder

Incubus' new album is coming soon, Feb. 3rd to be exact. Here's the first single:

Megalomaniac:
(Windows Media)
56k|100k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-17-2003, 05:38 PM

i heard it on the radio last night, i liked it... incubus as a whole always seems to be a really good solid and tasteful band, they use the weirdest effects and have a weird music style to say the least, but it always comes out beautiful.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-17-2003, 05:47 PM

oh yes! finally!

ive been waiting for quite a while. too bad dirk is gone though.
Rock on Incubus ...can't wait!

Cheers
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-17-2003, 07:54 PM

Reviews: 3
I'll buy it! I was really upset with the last Incubus album when it first came out, but after a while I gave it another chance and really love it. So that means these guys have yet to put out something that disappoints me.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-17-2003, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay ratkowski
I'll buy it! I was really upset with the last Incubus album when it first came out, but after a while I gave it another chance and really love it. So that means these guys have yet to put out something that disappoints me.
Wholly agreed.

Anyone else notice they ripped off Tenacious D's "One Note Song" for the intro of this?
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-17-2003, 11:56 PM

Reviews: 1
sounds like more "commercial" music. They will never create anything remotely as good as SCIENCE again.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by btweensunandmoon
sounds like more "commercial" music. They will never create anything remotely as good as SCIENCE again.
Correction: they'll never create anything remotely as good as Fungus Amongus again. S.C.I.E.N.C.E. was (to me) more "commercial" than anything: it was as close to straight nu-metal as they've done (great album though). The fact that a lot of people dislike Morning View shows how experimental it was for them. It's probably my favorite or second favorite of theirs so far.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 12:07 AM

Incubus

That's it, I'm pegging my jeans... a'la 1990, and busting out my NKOTB cd's.

"Hangin tough" baby!!
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarWizard
Incubus

"Hangin tough" baby!!
GuitarWizard, I do respect your opinions and it's great to argue with you but I'm getting tired of your bashing of all the new artists in every thread, so I have a question for you:

Is there any post-Nirvana rock band/artist that you do enjoy and respect?
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 08:11 AM

Reviews: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawel
Quote:
Incubus

"Hangin tough" baby!!
GuitarWizard, I do respect your opinions and it's great to argue with you but I'm getting tired of your bashing of all the new artists in every thread, so I have a question for you:

More important question, why should we care?
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 08:46 AM

I'm sorry you don't respect my opinion Jay, as we've all had to sit through almost 3,000 posts of "the gospel according to the genius of Ratlowski".

I just get tired of the same guys whining about "pop candy", "Britney sucks", "Popular music "forcing" this on us".

And then.... And then......

"Incubus is sweet!"
"Korn is so inspiring!"
"Tool...what musicianship!"

These 3 bands, for example...are plastered all over my local areas 2 harder rock stations.

And with all 3, I have to ask the same thing we do of the "candy" bands.

If these bands weren't forced down our throats on the station that the "suposed REAL music fans listen to" would we like them either??

Incubus has no swing.

It doesn't grab me......
To me......(excuse me Rev. Ratkowski, I'm going to take over the pulpit for a second. )...... a band doesn't have to be playing 9 distorted guitars tuned 3 steps down, and sacrificing a goat on stage right to be heavy.

Heavy is a feeling.

Listen to any track off say.....AC/DC's "Highway to Hell" or even...LOL, Michael Jackson's Thriller....and try not tapping your feet.
They have swing.
They have a feeling.
They are heavy.

Incubus is what I call "hard rock station candy"....just heavy enough for the 14 yr olds to think they are bad before a 103 pound weight class wrestling event..... just soft enough for radio.
Boring.

My ears obviously hear different than others.....as I will take Van Halen 3 over any boring A Perfect Circle, Tool, Limp Bizcut, Incubus, Korn, and the list go's on albums.

I'd rather hear 24 hours of non stop Reba McEntire, then have to sit through the new "A Perfect Circle" album again......and I am not a Reba fan.... yet I am not kidding.

Most of the newer bands just don't do it for me.... I try and I try.

Evanesance is a Lacuna Coil rip off...doesn't matter, I can't hack either.

I really hate this hip hop/ scratch the Run DMC record player/ play 1 finger chords on my "tune 9 steps down, 14 string guitar"......
Then find a girl with minimal singing ability........ goth up her looks, throw her in water for a video .......and sell 5 million records.

I REALLY hope this is not going to be the new trend in music.

People can't be that stupid.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 09:20 AM

Reviews: 1
To me Incubus defines a part of the L.A. sound / vibe.
I think it hard NOT to succumb to the pressures of your record company when they back a dump truck full of $$$ to your door. I'm sure there is some label meddeling to some extent, but I must admit I like the new incubus track.

As for comercial radio, sometimes they get it right, most times they are just tools for the machine which is just a big record sales juggernaut.

I love listening to College radio, they'll play ANYTHING and it isn't all the same ole' force fed crap every hour, they keep a broad and diverse playlist and keep it pretty interesting. I've found some kewl music from college radio. like www.loudermilk.net killer song called "estrogen oxygen" (aches in the teeth again) check it out.

Anyway, Incubus rocks my nads.

Bamm
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

For the record, Incubus' last album (Morning View) had one guitar track per side, recorded from the beginning of the track to the end, doing all the switching as it went along, then added a couple overdubs for effects, etc. And they never tune to anything but standard and drop-D.

Tool is also in drop-D.

Meanwhile we can assume you're a Steve Vai fan since you're on this forum. He basically brought the 7-string to fame originally (without him, there wouldn't be a Korn) and frequently tunes to drop-C.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay ratkowski
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawel
Quote:
Incubus

"Hangin tough" baby!!

More important question, why should we care?

I guess I was curious
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 03:15 PM

Hey GuitarWizard, I respect everybody's opinions, but bashing 99.9% of all 90's bands is as narrow-minded as a person can be.

As in every decade, there are good and bad artists, there are people who make music for art and people who make music for money.

Maybe Korn is not your type, but you have to admit that they've been one of the most orginial bands ever, at the time when they released their self-titled album (1994), nobody sounded like them, it was a new sound; sure, their sound was a mixture of other styles, you could hear their influences: the vocals and the drums sounded like Faith no More, the bass sounded like Rob Trujillo and the guitars sounded like a mixture between Rage Against the Machine and Morbid Angel, but nobody blended all this sounds as well as Korn did, that first album is a milestone in 90's music.

Personally I don't like Incubus and Tool (they have a few songs that I like), but that doesn't that they are bad bands, you have to recognize that they have talented and skillfull musicians.

On the other hand, nu-metal and punk is not the only styles being made, have you checked out all the European Gothic wave? I recommend you to download some songs by the following bands: HIM, Nightwish, Theatre of Tragedy, Therion, Moonspell, Dimmu Borgir, To/Die/For, Entwine, Charon, Tiamat, Within Temptation, The 69 Eyes, Prime STH, Paradise Lost, The Gathering, Lacuna Coil

Tags
angus young , high strings , ibanez guitars , limp bizkit , mike portnoy , morbid angel , steve vai , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode