Iron Maiden - "The Early Days" DVD - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Question Iron Maiden - "The Early Days" DVD

Hey guys - I bought the IM Early Days DVD last night. Its pretty cool seeing the early Maiden and watching them mature as individiuals and as a whole, but I almost immediatly noticed one thing that REALLY stuck out. They dont show any of Adrian Smith's solos. Not much of him at all really, but every time his solo came up they'd move the camera over on to Dave or Steve. They dont show any of his solo's in the first two shows, and maybe only one or two in the last set (World Piece Tour) I thought it was really strange hearing Adrians solo in the back ground and watching Dave play Rhythm. What gives with that??? Legal issues maybe???

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 11:12 AM
dex

Re: Iron Maiden - "The Early Days" DVD

99% of Live show cameramen suck like you wouldn't believe and when they don't - the director does.....
Keep in mind these were filmed with TV cameras so only 1 feed is taped and the director decides which camera is live when.
I think there's a major need for schooling cameramen/tv programme directors to recognise what is important when it comes to filming live events....
All they need is a roadie in the production room, so he can point out what they are doing wrong.

ilia
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
99% of Live show cameramen suck like you wouldn't believe and when they don't - the director does.....
Keep in mind these were filmed with TV cameras so only 1 feed is taped and the director decides which camera is live when.
I think there's a major need for schooling cameramen/tv programme directors to recognise what is important when it comes to filming live events....
All they need is a roadie in the production room, so he can point out what they are doing wrong.

ilia
Wouldn't you think it just plain common sence to put the camera on the individual playing the solo...I can't help but think it's something more than just pure stupidity
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 12:16 PM
dex

I've got like 60 Live Show DVD's from Dire Straits and Mike Oldfield to Dream Theatre and Metallica and can show you "Staying on the basist while the guitarist solos" moments on all of them............in fact Kevan does some camera work as a freelance so I'm sure he gets annoyed about it more than most of us and maybe he can tell us more about why it happens.

ilia
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

The thing is Dex, that they showed ALL of Dave Murray's solo's and none of Adrian's. Seems a bit lopsided to just be coinsidence, or ignorance / stupidity on the camera man's part. Maybe he just likes Davey's solo's better
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEMMER777
The thing is Dex, that they showed ALL of Dave Murray's solo's and none of Adrian's. Seems a bit lopsided to just be coinsidence, or ignorance / stupidity on the camera man's part. Maybe he just likes Davey's solo's better
Or maybe it is stupidity, in the form of them thinking that the one guy did all the solos, so they would always cut to the same guy when there was a solo being played, thinking he's "the" lead guitarist and not knowing anything about guitar.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two hands31
Or maybe it is stupidity, in the form of them thinking that the one guy did all the solos, so they would always cut to the same guy when there was a solo being played, thinking he's "the" lead guitarist and not knowing anything about guitar.
You know...you may be on to somthing there Two Hands. I'm just surprised the Director of the DVD went for it.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 01:47 PM

Besides, Adrian is back, so i dont think he would have any trouble with his solos being displayed.... (its not like Eddie playing with his back to the audience 30 years ago)
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2005, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianozz
Besides, Adrian is back, so i dont think he would have any trouble with his solos being displayed.... (its not like Eddie playing with his back to the audience 30 years ago)
Very true! And thank god Adrian is back....that yanick guy (or how ever you spell it) is one of the sloppeist lead players I have ever seen...IMHO!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 07:34 AM

During the Beast over Hammersmith gigs in 1982, adrian was injured playing football (IIRC) before the gigs.. he broke a few ribs.. He was so badly trussed up (spelling) before the gig, (so he could play) that he didn't want to be videotaped much during the gig because he looked really odd.. It was by his request.. nobody else.. So you should really go talk to H to complain, not the director or anything.. They show his solos on the other shows though..
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaidenmaniac
During the Beast over Hammersmith gigs in 1982, adrian was injured playing football (IIRC) before the gigs.. he broke a few ribs.. He was so badly trussed up (spelling) before the gig, (so he could play) that he didn't want to be videotaped much during the gig because he looked really odd.. It was by his request.. nobody else.. So you should really go talk to H to complain, not the director or anything.. They show his solos on the other shows though..
Thanks for the enlightenment. I had no idea he was injured.....with a user name like yours, you should know And yes....I have many other Maiden videos / DVD's and they do show the solo's...that's one of the reasons I was surprised at "Early Days", but I guess you have solved the riddle!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianozz
He left at some point?

Regards

André

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fettouhi
He left at some point?

Regards

André
Yep, very early 90's, a short while after Brucey D left (possibly 91'). Adrian went on to work on solo projects, such as ASAP (adrian smith album project) (which was released to no avail on sanctuary from what i can remember ), before rejoining the band again in 2001 for brave new world. Thats why they got Jan in
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 12:45 PM

Adrian Smith is awesome in my opinion.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flobanez
Adrian Smith is awesome in my opinion.
Yep, once he left Maiden was never the same, IMHO. I really can't stand that sloppy Janick dude. He plays crap, IMHO!

Tags
adrian smith

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode