Jazz guitar songs - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: gores own country
Posts: 34
Jazz guitar songs

Hi
recently I started listening to jazz,i think im liking it ..listnening to miles davis,herbie han**** etc.but i cant hear any guitar sounds in those songs.(noob lol)and i see people talking about jazz licks,chords in guitar etc..so what artists should i listen to?i mean the songs/artists where guitar part is dominant...so that i can understand about those jazz guitar sounds.thank u guys.
psycoldstel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 09:48 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Brazil
Posts: 5,010
Reviews: 64
Re: Jazz guitar songs

There's a song called Pontuation.
Another one is called English for Lazy People.
They'd help you a lot
6fingers is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 10:22 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Trondheim, Norway
Posts: 3,614
Re: Jazz guitar songs

Don't be too constructive, mr 6tonefingers.
I could understand what he wrote with ease. Maybe I'm just that much smarter.

Jazz guitar includes a lot of different styles. Joe Pass and Wes Montgomery might be something you like. There are a lot of clips on YouTube, both solo with guitar and in a band setting. There are also several jazz guitar instructional videos available, might be worth looking into.
The Euphor is offline  
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 10:29 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 242
Reviews: 2
Re: Jazz guitar songs

An artist that got me seriously looking at guitar in a jazz format is Guthrie Govan. His stuff is instrumental with guitar as the main element.
julzius is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: gores own country
Posts: 34
Re: Jazz guitar songs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
There's a song called Pontuation.
Another one is called English for Lazy People.
They'd help you a lot
i dont think i should improve my english..theres no grammar mistake or something like that in my original question.language is a tool to communicate or share ideas between people and i dont know where u come from or wat language you speak but u said 'pontuation' wat does it mean?punctuation?maybe you are the one who really need that 'english for lazy people"and correct yourself first before pointing finger at someone,dont want to be rude but you made me say this....
psycoldstel is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: gores own country
Posts: 34
Re: Jazz guitar songs

Quote:
Originally Posted by julzius View Post
An artist that got me seriously looking at guitar in a jazz format is Guthrie Govan. His stuff is instrumental with guitar as the main element.

thanks,ilistnd to it already and really liked the erotic cakes album
psycoldstel is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: gores own country
Posts: 34
Re: Jazz guitar songs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor View Post
Don't be too constructive, mr 6tonefingers.
I could understand what he wrote with ease. Maybe I'm just that much smarter.

Jazz guitar includes a lot of different styles. Joe Pass and Wes Montgomery might be something you like. There are a lot of clips on YouTube, both solo with guitar and in a band setting. There are also several jazz guitar instructional videos available, might be worth looking into.

thank you...
psycoldstel is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 11:18 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Brazil
Posts: 5,010
Reviews: 64
Re: Jazz guitar songs

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoldstel View Post
i dont think i should improve my english..theres no grammar mistake or something like that in my original question.language is a tool to communicate or share ideas between people and i dont know where u come from or wat language you speak but u said 'pontuation' wat does it mean?punctuation?maybe you are the one who really need that 'english for lazy people"and correct yourself first before pointing finger at someone,dont want to be rude but you made me say this....
My mistake was intentional.
But you can't even understand it.

'listnening to miles davis,"............"wat language "

Yeah no grammar mistakes

Yep language is a tool to communicate or share ideas between people BUT there are people here from all around the globe and some are learning english so punctuation/grammar mistakes are a nightmare to them(including me).
6fingers is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: gores own country
Posts: 34
Re: Jazz guitar songs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
My mistake was intentional.
But you can't even understand it.

'listnening to miles davis,"............"wat language "

Yeah no grammar mistakes

Yep language is a tool to communicate or share ideas between people BUT there are people here from all around the globe and some are learning english so punctuation/grammar mistakes are a nightmare to them(including me).
hahhah grammar mistakes?its spelling mistake dude....im pretty much impressed by your knowledge...no one is perfect...so is you and me..go correct yourselves before nitpicking each and every word i wrote...i dont want to prove anything...from now on whatever you may post,i ll ignore it coz i dont want to waste my time arguing about how bad your english sucks...
psycoldstel is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 02:36 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,245
Reviews: 2
Re: Jazz guitar songs

You could also try some of the jazz "fusion" guys. Larry Coryell is pretty good. Also, early Scott Henderson with Tribal Tech.
therightjem is offline  
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 03:27 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 205
Re: Jazz guitar songs

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoldstel View Post
Hi
recently I started listening to jazz,i think im liking it ..listnening to miles davis,herbie han**** etc.but i cant hear any guitar sounds in those songs.(noob lol)and i see people talking about jazz licks,chords in guitar etc..so what artists should i listen to?i mean the songs/artists where guitar part is dominant...so that i can understand about those jazz guitar sounds.thank u guys.
yeah jazz is cool ,once you start grooving around with jazz chords and licks your improv widens slightly , I guess the more you study and with an open mind comes your signature in your playing ,.Mate google jazz tabs. music and so on ,buy books listen theres a vast amont of amazing players in this world all at our fingertips ,
its a life time thing brother ,..

Last edited by Tommy Deluciano; 07-06-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Tommy Deluciano is offline  
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 01:23 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: philadelphia
Posts: 24
Re: Jazz guitar songs

hey jst saw this, joe pass is great for melody and chords, pat martino (almost anything) and jimmy bruno (live at birdland) are very cool and great technique, Jimmy bruno sweeps and very fast. Django for some old school gypsy jazz , jimmy smith (moonlight over vermont), tal farlow
Wes montgomery you hear alot, and he's cool, but he played with his thumb, kinda gets a little boring (hope not to offend)
good luck
and horn players are great inspiration, miles, charlie parker and coltrane ( sonny rollins jams and is still playing at like 75 )
sonny13 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
guitar for metal and jazz project_Z All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 23 04-05-2012 10:06 AM
101 Easy guitar songs!!! UV-7-BK Off-topic / Miscellaneous 6 10-26-2009 12:39 AM
Songs to play at Jazz audition crevis Off-topic / Miscellaneous 9 09-12-2007 01:12 PM
Jazz Guitar LethalAe86TypeR Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! 13 04-20-2007 07:02 PM
FS: Washburn J6S Jazz Guitar joe1 Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 2 10-16-2005 05:28 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome