Jazz guitar songs - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Jazz guitar songs

Hi
recently I started listening to jazz,i think im liking it ..listnening to miles davis,herbie han**** etc.but i cant hear any guitar sounds in those songs.(noob lol)and i see people talking about jazz licks,chords in guitar etc..so what artists should i listen to?i mean the songs/artists where guitar part is dominant...so that i can understand about those jazz guitar sounds.thank u guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 09:48 AM
Banned

Reviews: 64
Re: Jazz guitar songs

There's a song called Pontuation.
Another one is called English for Lazy People.
They'd help you a lot
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 10:22 AM

Don't be too constructive, mr 6tonefingers.
I could understand what he wrote with ease. Maybe I'm just that much smarter.

Jazz guitar includes a lot of different styles. Joe Pass and Wes Montgomery might be something you like. There are a lot of clips on YouTube, both solo with guitar and in a band setting. There are also several jazz guitar instructional videos available, might be worth looking into.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 10:29 AM

Reviews: 2

An artist that got me seriously looking at guitar in a jazz format is Guthrie Govan. His stuff is instrumental with guitar as the main element.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
There's a song called Pontuation.
Another one is called English for Lazy People.
They'd help you a lot
i dont think i should improve my english..theres no grammar mistake or something like that in my original question.language is a tool to communicate or share ideas between people and i dont know where u come from or wat language you speak but u said 'pontuation' wat does it mean?punctuation?maybe you are the one who really need that 'english for lazy people"and correct yourself first before pointing finger at someone,dont want to be rude but you made me say this....
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by julzius View Post
An artist that got me seriously looking at guitar in a jazz format is Guthrie Govan. His stuff is instrumental with guitar as the main element.

thanks,ilistnd to it already and really liked the erotic cakes album
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor View Post
Don't be too constructive, mr 6tonefingers.
I could understand what he wrote with ease. Maybe I'm just that much smarter.

Jazz guitar includes a lot of different styles. Joe Pass and Wes Montgomery might be something you like. There are a lot of clips on YouTube, both solo with guitar and in a band setting. There are also several jazz guitar instructional videos available, might be worth looking into.

thank you...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 11:18 AM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoldstel View Post
i dont think i should improve my english..theres no grammar mistake or something like that in my original question.language is a tool to communicate or share ideas between people and i dont know where u come from or wat language you speak but u said 'pontuation' wat does it mean?punctuation?maybe you are the one who really need that 'english for lazy people"and correct yourself first before pointing finger at someone,dont want to be rude but you made me say this....
My mistake was intentional.
But you can't even understand it.

'listnening to miles davis,"............"wat language "

Yeah no grammar mistakes

Yep language is a tool to communicate or share ideas between people BUT there are people here from all around the globe and some are learning english so punctuation/grammar mistakes are a nightmare to them(including me).
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
My mistake was intentional.
But you can't even understand it.

'listnening to miles davis,"............"wat language "

Yeah no grammar mistakes

Yep language is a tool to communicate or share ideas between people BUT there are people here from all around the globe and some are learning english so punctuation/grammar mistakes are a nightmare to them(including me).
hahhah grammar mistakes?its spelling mistake dude....im pretty much impressed by your knowledge...no one is perfect...so is you and me..go correct yourselves before nitpicking each and every word i wrote...i dont want to prove anything...from now on whatever you may post,i ll ignore it coz i dont want to waste my time arguing about how bad your english sucks...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 02:36 PM

Reviews: 2

You could also try some of the jazz "fusion" guys. Larry Coryell is pretty good. Also, early Scott Henderson with Tribal Tech.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoldstel View Post
Hi
recently I started listening to jazz,i think im liking it ..listnening to miles davis,herbie han**** etc.but i cant hear any guitar sounds in those songs.(noob lol)and i see people talking about jazz licks,chords in guitar etc..so what artists should i listen to?i mean the songs/artists where guitar part is dominant...so that i can understand about those jazz guitar sounds.thank u guys.
yeah jazz is cool ,once you start grooving around with jazz chords and licks your improv widens slightly , I guess the more you study and with an open mind comes your signature in your playing ,.Mate google jazz tabs. music and so on ,buy books listen theres a vast amont of amazing players in this world all at our fingertips ,
its a life time thing brother ,..

Last edited by Tommy Deluciano; 07-06-2012 at 09:24 PM.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 01:23 AM

hey jst saw this, joe pass is great for melody and chords, pat martino (almost anything) and jimmy bruno (live at birdland) are very cool and great technique, Jimmy bruno sweeps and very fast. Django for some old school gypsy jazz , jimmy smith (moonlight over vermont), tal farlow
Wes montgomery you hear alot, and he's cool, but he played with his thumb, kinda gets a little boring (hope not to offend)
good luck
and horn players are great inspiration, miles, charlie parker and coltrane ( sonny rollins jams and is still playing at like 75 )

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode