Jeff Beck appreciation - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Jeff Beck appreciation

maybe i'm just old school but i was messing around yesterday and hit Led Boots with my rig and it just gave me goose bumps. i had the good fortune of seeing an amazing show last NAMM that included a bunch of MONSTER players i grew up listening to (i graduated High School in '89). here's a list of some of the guys who played that night and most ended up playing together for a finale at the end of the night (pls excuse me if i misspell anyones' name):
Nuno Bettencort (Extreme - Population One)
George Lynnch (Dokken - Lynnch Mob)
"Snake" Sabo (Skid Row)
Warren Dimartini (Ratt)
Neil Zaza (not someone i grew up with but he was awesome)
Michael Anthony (VH)
Perry Farrel (Janes' Addiction)
Dick Dale and son
Yngwie Malmsteen (and band - didn't join the jam - when everyone was trying to find him for the end of the night jam, George said under his breath, "tell him there are doughnuts on the stage and that'll get him out here!" - i about peed myself laughing! because i was standing at George's feet is the only reason i heard him say it)
drummer from Living Color (can't remember his name)
singer for Yes - Nuno sung a little with him - "Seen All Good People" - how cool!!!!
at one point Nuno took off his guitar and asked "who wants to jam?" and held it out offering it to the crowd. i tried my hardest to be the one that got to jam with this group of players but a guy that couldn't even play "Communication Breakdown" got his mits on it first. that could have been the moment of a lifetime. i got picks from most of the players and the actual hand written set list so the night still goes down in infamy with me forever.
now back to Jeff Beck. they had Led Boots on the set list for one of the end of the night jams and Nuno was the only guy who knew it. George didn't have a clue. i was coming out of my skin wanting to play it with them as i learned it 15yrs ago and have always loved it as well as Freeway Jam and many other Beck jams.
i guess one of my points is, am i on the fringe of old school guitarists or is Jeff Beck NOT one of the guys that you consider to be in the long chain of guitarists that inspires new/old guitar players just like Jimmy Page, Jimie Hendrix and all the other players that people love to learn their songs and licks when you are trying to forge your own style?
i have a DD20 delay pedal that will sample and loop up to 23 seconds of playing among the other things it does and i spent over an hour yesterday playing the riffs from Led Boots and then playing over them. i have a Synth Wah pedal (Digitech) that gets a very cool synth sound that sounds so much like the synth tones on those older Beck albums. i was playing the keyboard solos and Jeff's solos with a huge grin on my face. i would like to record me playing it just for fun and share it. we'll see if i can pull it off sometime soon - it was just soo much fun. am i alone in this stuff?

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa

Last edited by screamndemon69; 01-23-2006 at 10:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 05:18 PM

Re: Jeff Beck appreciation

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamndemon69
i guess one of my points is, am i on the fringe of old school guitarists or is Jeff Beck NOT one of the guys that you consider to be in the long chain of guitarists that inspires new/old guitar players just like Jimmy Page, Jimie Hendrix and all the other players that people love to learn their songs and licks when you are trying to forge your own style?
sadly, from the lack of response to this thread, i guess jeff beck for some reason gets overlooked.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 06:06 PM

I like Jeff Beck a lot, went through a major Beck phase recently, and have been listening to Wired, Blow By Blow and Beck's Guitar Shop a lot. He is a real master of the guitar...
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 08:56 AM

Quote:
maybe i'm just old school but i was messing around yesterday and hit Led Boots with my rig and it just gave me goose bumps. i had the good fortune of seeing an amazing show last NAMM that included a bunch of MONSTER players i grew up listening to (i graduated High School in '89). here's a list of some of the guys who played that night and most ended up playing together for a finale at the end of the night (pls excuse me if i misspell anyones' name):
Nuno Bettencort (Extreme - Population One)
George Lynnch (Dokken - Lynnch Mob)
"Snake" Sabo (Skid Row)
Warren Dimartini (Ratt)
Neil Zaza (not someone i grew up with but he was awesome)
Michael Anthony (VH)
Perry Farrel (Janes' Addiction)
Dick Dale and son
Yngwie Malmsteen (and band - didn't join the jam - when everyone was trying to find him for the end of the night jam, George said under his breath, "tell him there are doughnuts on the stage and that'll get him out here!" - i about peed myself laughing! because i was standing at George's feet is the only reason i heard him say it)
drummer from Living Color (can't remember his name)
singer for Yes - Nuno sung a little with him - "Seen All Good People" - how cool!!!!
at one point Nuno took off his guitar and asked "who wants to jam?" and held it out offering it to the crowd. i tried my hardest to be the one that got to jam with this group of players but a guy that couldn't even play "Communication Breakdown" got his mits on it first. that could have been the moment of a lifetime. i got picks from most of the players and the actual hand written set list so the night still goes down in infamy with me forever.
now back to Jeff Beck. they had Led Boots on the set list for one of the end of the night jams and Nuno was the only guy who knew it. George didn't have a clue. i was coming out of my skin wanting to play it with them as i learned it 15yrs ago and have always loved it as well as Freeway Jam and many other Beck jams.
i have a DD20 delay pedal that will sample and loop up to 23 seconds of playing among the other things it does and i spent over an hour yesterday playing the riffs from Led Boots and then playing over them. i have a Synth Wah pedal (Digitech) that gets a very cool synth sound that sounds so much like the synth tones on those older Beck albums and i was playing the keyboard solos and Jeff's solos with a huge grin on my face. i would like to record me playing it just for fun and share it. we'll see if i can pull it off sometime soon - it was just soo much fun. am i alone in this stuff?
No You're not alone. He fantastic. I saw him in London a couple of years ago and he was brilliant. I really like his recent albums and think he's one of the most creative people around on guitar. He has a fantastic feel and his whammy arm stuff is just the best. I rate him up there with Mattias Eklundh and Bumblefoot for taking the guitar to places it's not been before. He's certainly the only person I can think of of his generation that's still breaking the mould and not recycling the same stuff from 40 years ago.

There are a few DVDs flying around of him if you get the chance to get hold of them - one in Japan with Jennifer Batten and a BL of the Royal ALbert Hall gig I saw him at

H
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 09:54 AM

Jeff Beck is awesome but outside the guitarworld I don't think
he get's much recognition, wich is sad because he is such an amazing player.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawel
I like Jeff Beck a lot, went through a major Beck phase recently, and have been listening to Wired, Blow By Blow and Beck's Guitar Shop a lot. He is a real master of the guitar...
i love Wired and Blow By Blow. those are the albums that really do take it somewhere special for me.
the first time i heard Beck was as a back up guitarist with Sting playing thru Goin Down. from there i tried to find everything i could to hear more of him. i felt a real connection from early on to his playing. it really spoke to me. i remember being at an open jam night and seeing some of the areas best unknown players just jammin together for fun. one guy was an attorney that played a convincing Jan Hammer on the keys and really took the song to new places and one of the other guys was a guy that turned me onto Holdsworth - which was really light years ahead of my understanding of the guitar. they played Freeway Jam and really gave you goosebumps just listening to them. my friends and i sat in awe of the music coming from the stage that night. that's a very early memory that i'll never forget how inspired i felt for the guitar and the possibilities it held. i had to start learning all the Beck i could at that ponit. very brilliant stuff.
i haven't had the pleasure of seeing Beck himself live. i'll have to search for some.

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceland
Jeff Beck is awesome but outside the guitarworld I don't think
he get's much recognition, wich is sad because he is such an amazing player.
too true.
i still scratch my head thinking about Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck all growing up within 10 miles of each other about the same time. makes me wonder what was in the water
my GF said she saw Cindy Lauper recently on a daytime show playing and she said that Jeff was playing with her but i have yet to confirm it. she doesn't know who he is but said Cindy thanked Jeff for playing at the end of the song.
Jeff is seen in that old Danny Devito and Arnold S. movie "Twins". he is jamming away on the stage in the bar scene.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 11:45 AM

From the jeff beck site. Probably safe to say that what your GF saw was indeed JB.

JEFF ON NEW CYNDI LAUPER ALBUM

Jeff collaborates with Cyndi Lauper on the track ‘Above The Clouds’ for her new album ‘The Body Acoustic’ due for release on 8th November on Epic Records. The album features re-workings of some of Cyndi’s greatest hits including ‘Time After Time’, ‘True Colours’ and ‘Girls Just Wanna Have Fun’ as well as two new tracks. ‘Above The Clouds’ is a brand new track written specially for the album by Jeff, Cyndi and Jed Leiber (who collaborated with Jeff on the soundtrack to ‘Frankie’s House’ for which they won a BAFTA). More info at www.cyndilaupermusic.com.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 07:50 PM

Jeff Beck was my fav guitarist of his time easily

Jeff Beck - father of the rock guitar instrumental!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 07:52 PM

Quote:
too true.
i still scratch my head thinking about Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck all growing up within 10 miles of each other about the same time. makes me wonder what was in the water
Well you do know the first edition of the band that would become Led Zeppelin was started from a Jeff Beck session. It would have featured Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones, Keith Moon and Rod Stewart. Keith Moon wanted to put that band together, but everyone was off doing their own thing. Later after the Yardbirds Jimmy Page started with those guys and got who was available (John Paul Jones).

I thought that was kind of a cool story

Tags
delay pedal , eric clapton , guitar players , guitar shop , jeff beck , jennifer batten , jimmy page , michael anthony , neil zaza , wah pedal , yngwie malmsteen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode