Jeff Beck comments on touring with Eric Clapton - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Jeff Beck comments on touring with Eric Clapton

The Jan. 21st, 2010 edition of Rolling Stone has a short interview with Jeff Beck as he prepares for his upcoming tour, which he co-headlines with Eric Clapton. When asked "Are you and Eric close?" he answers:

There is a respect there, but we aren't bosom buddies or anything. I'm probably speaking out of turn, but we both have been striving for the same thing: to be recognized as guitarists. He's recognized; I'm not [laughs].

This really struck me as I imagined what it would be like to be able to play like Jeff Beck and still not be satisfied. We've established there's often a disconnect between talent and fame. I guess if I were in his situation, I'd be more upset about Paris Hilton being more famous than me.

Comments?

Peace

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 12:00 AM

Re: Jeff Beck comments on touring with Eric Clapton

He just didn't sell the same amount of records. I think Jeff has kept his chops up for much longer. Clapton himself admits to slipping in his later years. Jeff is aging like fine wine :P.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 02:00 AM

To me Jeff Beck > Eric Clapton.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 06:16 AM

Jeff Beck, Santana, and Gilmour are all aging wonderfully - Clapton sounds more generic than ever these days. Cannot knock him much though as he's done so much over the years

I'd like to hear more of Jimmy Page ;-)
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 06:59 AM

Reviews: 3

Anyone seen Clapton in the new "fender" HTC Touch commercial? He looks absolutely ancient. Poor guy.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 07:12 AM
Banned

the difference between clapton and hendrix is that he died about 2 yrs later than hendrix and no one ever buried him.
beck on the other hand, even though he wasn't as good as either has gotten better and better over the years.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 07:34 AM

The directions that they've chosen and traveled are apples and oranges.. no comparision. Jeff chose to really explore and push boundraries and Eric chose later to dabble in pop and then revel in his love for the blues, which in the end is more palatible/commvercially accesable to the average non-guitar geek listener/non-musician. Pop based stylings, you can put on and listen to anytime; no matter what you are doing.. there are certain other musics and artist that actually require you to stop and listen and to think.. this require more of a person than most at times even care for.. a lot people don't want to have to think.. it gets in the way of everything else they've got going on during the day.
In the end, one isn't more valid than the other.. it is merely different.. Beck chose the part that is harder traveled though imo.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 08:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackButlerGOT View Post
The directions that they've chosen and traveled are apples and oranges.. no comparision. Jeff chose to really explore and push boundraries and Eric chose later to dabble in pop and then revel in his love for the blues, which in the end is more palatible/commvercially accesable to the average non-guitar geek listener/non-musician. Pop based stylings, you can put on and listen to anytime; no matter what you are doing.. there are certain other musics and artist that actually require you to stop and listen and to think.. this require more of a person than most at times even care for.. a lot people don't want to have to think.. it gets in the way of everything else they've got going on during the day.
In the end, one isn't more valid than the other.. it is merely different.. Beck chose the part that is harder traveled though imo.
true,
if you ignore the fact that in 72' clapton locked himself in that house at 461 ocean blvd jammed a needle in arm and flushed his talent down the toilet
otherwise i would completely agree
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 10:33 PM

Reviews: 4

Ouch.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikey Mikey View Post
I guess if I were in his situation, I'd be more upset about Paris Hilton being more famous than me.
He can always put out a sex tape.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manticore View Post
true,
if you ignore the fact that in 72' clapton locked himself in that house at 461 ocean blvd jammed a needle in arm and flushed his talent down the toilet
otherwise i would completely agree
Agreed..lol..
HOnestly for me, I'm not interested in anything Eric did after Cream.. it starts and stops there for me.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 11:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Agreed..lol..
HOnestly for me, I'm not interested in anything Eric did after Cream.. it starts and stops there for me.
couldn't have said it any better my self
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 05:56 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Agreed..lol..
What about:

While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Layla
Let It Rain
Let It Grow
Tears In Heaven

???
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 06:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemaholic View Post
What about:

While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Layla
Let It Rain
Let It Grow
Tears In Heaven

???
while my guitar gently weeps= fair
Layla= held together by duane allman
let it rain= lame
let it grow= lame
tears in heaven = contextually disgusting and probably the wort crap ever written
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 11:39 PM

Reviews: 18

I think the main reason Clapton became bigger than Beck is that he decided to sing and become more commercial, thus catering to the bigger masses. Jeff Beck, on the other hand, was and still is an instrumental guitar player (a great one at that), but that's where it ends with him.

Jimmy

Tags
beck , clapton , rolling stone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode