Jeff, The New Album By Jeff Beck - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Jeff, The New Album By Jeff Beck

The new Jeff Beck album "Jeff" is phenominal!!! It amazes me how he can continue to push musical boundaries at an age where most musicians are often closeminded to new trends and production tricks. Although he doesn't have the chops a Vai or Petrucci have, his note selection and vibrato totally kill! A definite must have for any fan of his last few releases. :-D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 11:52 PM

Thanks for the news! I'm a big fan and will have to check it out. I cut my teeth in the "fusionesque" side of things learning "Blow By Blow" and "Wired". Jeff is great!
Todd
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 11:55 PM

What a cool album title
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2003, 05:51 AM

He is just amazing

I also saw him perform on Jay Leno with BB King.........blew me away!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2003, 09:51 AM

ShredStud,

Cool thread to post brother, Jeff Beck is unreal. He is doing things with his strat, vibrato bar, and hands that 99.99998% of guitar players can only have wet dreams of doing with all the effects pedals in the world at their feet.

I don't mean to stir up the sh*t, but I will anyway.

You can take this from someone who has seen all three Beck, Vai and Petrucci live from within the front 20 rows...... Vai and Beck on stage together would be cool...... but Petrucci shouldn't be in the same building as Beck .....if they had a little showdown in the end, it would get sad.

Beck is such a tasty player... listen to "People Get Ready" , or "Cause we've ended s lovers"... it just hits you.

Not that Petrucci sucks, to the contrary, he's one of the best technical players in the world... but I have heard every Dream Theatre album made, and I just don't "get it".

Of course this is just my opinion, and as the hillbillies say. "Opinions are like *******'s, everyone's got one, and they all stink" - Boss Hogg
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2003, 02:36 PM

Guitar Wizard, let's see.... you love the new metallica and hate Petrucci. You're just trying to win friends all over the place aren't you? Seriously, Jeff Beck is awesome, but I bet if you played him some Dream Theater he'd love it. JP is technically impressive, but I hear a ton of soul and beautiful phrasing when I listen to him. Give him another chance. Check out the solo in Innocence Faded from Awake. That is his finest work IMHO.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2003, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

IMHO, I feel more soul and emotion when JB plays "Cause We've Ended As Lovers" or "Nadia" then I do when I hear JP, SV, or JS play, but that doesn't mean that those aforementioned artists suck. Mr. Beck is not doing the shred thing, but he makes up for it in feeling.

And GuitarWizard, no problem! JB is one of my all-time fav. players with Vai and Hendrix! :-D
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 01:03 PM

This is a great CD. I find it very cool how someone of Beck's stature continues to embrace new sonic ideas into his music and not make it forced. Granted, I'm sure he's chosen people who know how to do the electronic soundscapes very well, but his own playing makes a perfect fit. Back when Satch was talking about doing a 'techno' recored (before EOC came out), I was expecting it to sound something along the lines of what Jeff has done recently. Not that I favor one over the other, but I like how both of these artists continue to have a distinct personality that is soley their own, despite the musical arena in which they play. (That was't too deep, was it? )
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 12:09 PM

Holy magic monkeys Batman!

I just visited www.jeffbeckmusic.com and it's got lovely samples of the album playing upon loading. The first thing I heard was Engines of Creation stylee, and then onto some more very Satch sounding stuff - this is meant as a high compliment!

And then it turns into pure Beck and I'm stunned. A definite purchase I think. Wow, I mean really *really* good.

His tone and touch are glorious, and it doesn't sound like anything else out there.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 12:25 PM

his playing is sooo hip...so dynamic...and just plain cool. His unqiue style of playing really sits well with those trippy techno beats.

and compared to Page and Clapton.....Jeff still looks like a rockstar
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 02:03 PM

Don't forget to order the live recording of Jeff live at BB King's in 2003. I just found out about it in this month's ICE magazine. Visit www.jeffbeckbootlegs.com. This IS a legitamate release, BTW.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 02:44 PM

Reviews: 4
Hmmmmm..... May have to check this out. I'm still floored every time I hear him bend those harmonics in the ballad-y song on "Guitar Shop".
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 08:37 PM

Okay, so I went out and got "Jeff". It's a sublime masterpiece, the best album I've heard for a year at least. It's getting more playtime than the Steve Vai DVD at the moment (although I did play The Animal and Blue Powder about ten times the other day... ).

Words fail me.

I adore Engines of Creation, I mean I just love it to bits. From the samples I heard on jeff's website, I thought this was going to be similar. However, it's something beautiful and unique unto itself. It certainly confirmed for me that both Jeff and Joe are complete masters of their instruments.

Tones are just edible on the album, and the mood swings from menacing to angelic and everything in between. It's bizarre, because I'm thinking: does Jeff Beck even have "a sound"? And I know he does, but this doesn't sound like anything he's ever done, but I recognise him immediately. Aagh!

Trust me: you want to hear some astounding shred and sensitivity. This man has it.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 02:17 AM

I had Wired a long time ago. Jeff Beck's a really cool player. I saw him with Bozzio and Hymas on Arsenio Hall. They were playing Slingshot. I saw him on Leno with BB King, he was wailing then, too.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 01:12 PM

Update: I just received the live CD in the mail last night. Pretty good setlist. The performance has it's good and bad moments, and the mixing could have been a bit better (the drums take up a lot of sonic space, the bass and keyboards are sometimes too low). Jeff sounds like, well, Jeff. What I appreciate about his live performances is that the melodies remain the same, but he always does something different during the solo or extended jam sections. I've never heard him play a song live the same way twice. Always stretching, always reaching. That is what keeps his music interesting.

Tags
guitar players , guitar shop , jeff beck , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode