Jemfest 2003 review - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-30-2003, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Jemfest 2003 review

So did everyone enjoy it?

I sure as hell did!!!!

a fun week in orlando; met up with the faces to go with the screen names - a few familiar faces i met again, some new friends made and some unbelievable guitar....

Will post a longer story when i get back to britain; but suffice to say that friday was fantastic and saturday was better! If somebody can tell me where you would see a better four hours of guitar than Ricky Garcia, Eric Sands, Rob Balducci and Jon Finn ANYWHERE then i want to know.

Forget G3....I'll take JF03 everytime!!!

Cheers
Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-30-2003, 02:55 PM

Hey Pete!!

Was very cool and funny to work with you man... I need to work on my british english a bit though!!! I really had some trouble to understand you sometimes ...

I hope you can make it to jemfest germany this year... would be defenetly a big help man!!!

Ok now my general impression... it was A BLAST!!!!! I have never been so tired after it though since of two 16 hour drives but who cares it was defenetly worth any minute of driving... thanks to Gabe for the ride!!!

The perfrormers were mindblwoing and I didnt expect any diffrent!!!

I have to go check my video now!!!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-30-2003, 09:41 PM

I agree. Wonderful time. If you missed it, then you missed "IT". See ya next year!

Darin
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

So here goes. Long Post time.

Monday: Fly out from London Gatwick and step off the plane into 30 degree heat. Must remember to put shorts on before I leave next time.
Got to the hotel and got some rest and tried to get used to Orlando time.

Tuesday: Did some shopping for presents etc in the day and then back to the hotel to wait for people to arrive. Met up with Kevan and Iain in the lobby and started on the first unloading of a van....some SWEET guitars in there! The RG Paint is gorgeous. Gabe, Ricky and Silke arrived soon after and after unloading the rest of the stuff; it was off to Hooters for the first time that week.
Lots of Jamming ensued that evening along with plenty of beers

Wednesday: More jams/drinking/hooters/setting up PC's

Thursday: Over to Tampa and it's ruch hour traffic with Kev and Iain to pick up the rig - starting to look like Bob wouldn't make it at this point so I slipped into sound engineer mode rather than alcoholic mode - LOL. Back in the evening and met up with Simon and Paul from CK....75% of the band there now. Hooters again and lots of drunken Jamming in the room. Sorted out playing Bass with Pirahna Red for some of the songs - Gabe looking after the others. Though the bits i learnt at 2am didn't really stick that well.

Friday: Set up the rig and start getting ready for soundchecks - a quick mission to buy more equipment from the local music shop to make sure that things went smoothly were well worth it. Had a little time in the afternoon to sort out soundchecks and run through the songs with PR in time for the evening; rig sorted and recording ready.

THE GIG - FRIDAY

First on Pirahna Red - some great stuff from Shane, Darin and Josh ably assisted by Gabe on bass at the start of the set. The dual lead harmony bits were fantastic!!! PArt two of the set had some welsh dude playing bass....think I kinda got through things with some help from the guys!!! I thoroughly enjoyed myself!

Next came...

German Schauss:
Shred-tastic part one. Some great guitar/keys harmony stuff and the guy can sure play those runs. Some very musically technical stuff in there showcasing yet another awesome Jemfest performer.

Up next:
Scott Bradoka
A super tight band and proof that a speed isn't everything in guitar playing - distinct lack of Ibanez in view - but you can let that go when the material is this good

And last for Friday:
Tony Smotherman
Another shred fest. How this guy doesn't hurt himself while playing i don't know....sure that i would dislocate my fingers trying it!

Then a few more beers and some more jamming (sorry for anyone with the misfortune of hearing me mangle my way through some vai stuff. Though kirk's guitar and amp sounded sweet!!!!

Saturday morning.
Balducci has arrived, so at least CK has a full line up at last - though grabbing some time to practice would be the problem.

Saturday afternoon: Sound checks for the saturday performers - thanks to Eric Sands' band for forgoing their soundcheck and giving me twenty mins to run through some stuff with CK - first time we had played together was around an hour before we went on! My apologies to Simon and Paul for the few moments I was stressed out and a miserable sod around the 4:30 mark.... :P

THE GIG: SATURDAY

First up:
Cereal Killer

After all the preparation; I forgot my intro line...it was meant to be "We are Cereal Killer from the UK - you must be the USA!!!!!"
Never mind. Despite being a bit rough around the edges, I had a blast playing - even though the sonic torture of you lot having to put up with my singing must have been hell!! Still gutted that I didn't do the James Hetfield vocal style vocal on the ballad too!!!
Got to play Rob's new guitar, and again completely not do it justice!!!
The covers were fun - could have done with a few more soloist for hard to handle - but we will come back to this later.
Thanks to Kirk for his contribution - he did Ozzy more justice that I ever could have. Had a good laugh doing the Austin powers tune too...shows why I'm not a drummer though!!!!

After us:

Ricky Garcia
I only caught some of Ricky's set - a had a nasty headache kick in after our set - but that which I saw shows the talent the guy has; great melodies and some beautifully developed songs. Sorry to Ricky for the few little techy problems - but we got through it and it was a fab set by all accounts. TSCHUUUUUUU!!!

Next: Eric Sands
Ok. Time to get blown away part one! Two fantastic guitarists in one band - super tight rhythm section and some fabulous songs. Plenty of variety in there too proving the versatility of the band in general and Eric in particular. An absolute pleasure to see and to work with.

Then....
Rob Balducci
Rob was fantastic last year at Jemfest UK just with Backing tracks, but here with his band I was amazed - anthony and dan do a fantastic job - both amazing players. The whole set was amazing, the new stuff sounds great, the old stuff still sounds great!!!

Finally:
Jon Finn
After a little technical difficulty (the power lead for the FOH amp got pulled out!) Jon Started on a great set showing the variety of his ability - some of the unaccompanied stuff was truly brilliant and a great show man to boot....filled the stage all on his own.

Then came the raffle....what can i say. I guess it was that best of british luck that they talk about. First Ticket out - for some Fire Garden Honey - I won!!! Simon from CK won the other Jar. Then came the big one.
A brand new JEM7VSBL direct from Ibanez.
It is on my knee as i write this!!

I gave back the honey to be re-drawn - I figured with this beauty I had won more than my fair share. Also I will be giving a guitar for the Jemfest UK raffle.

The jam came after that - starting with "J3" - Eric, Rob and Jon jammed a few tunes - amazing people all over again!!

Then us mere mortals got up and did a few and, I think a good night was had by all!

Sunday Saw lots of packing away, me and Rob & Corina polishing off the leftover beers and everyone waving a tearful farewell to another Jemfest. Only a few months to the UK and Germany ones though!

I made some good friends out of the faces seen here and elsewhere and thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience....roll on Orlando 2004!!!
Special thanks to Gabe and Kevan, without whom this thing really would not have happened; and to Iain, Butch, Kirk, Brian, Rich and all the rest of the guys.

Simon - thanks for giving me the opportunity to play with you guys - it made sure i went and i am so glad that i did

Simon, Paul, Rob, Shane, Darin and Josh - a pleasure to play with some great guys.

Cheers
Pete

Tags
backing track , eric sands , fire garden , guitar playing , local music shop , ricky garcia , rob balducci

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode