Jemsite Guitar Challenge December '14: OFFICIAL THREAD! - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Jemsite Guitar Challenge December '14: OFFICIAL THREAD!

Welcome everybody!
Big thanks to those who entered last time!

RULES

[IMG][/IMG]
  • You may record yourself performing a specific track and submit it to Youtube. If it is an audio track you can post it to any leading music hosting sites, such as Soundcloud.
  • Submissions will be accepted from now until the last day of December, 2014. Depending on participation, the deadline may be extended.
  • There will be a special thread that will ONLY have submissions. >Click here!<
  • There will be a poll thread created at the end of the submission period. Then it starts all over again!
  • EVERYBODY is encouraged to participate and upload a submission!! No matter what your skill level is. We can vote for a "winner", but just putting yourself out there makes you a winner!!
  • Feedback on performances is permitted and encouraged. It's a good way for musicians to grow. Please keep it polite though. Nothing harsh, and no over-reactions.
  • This is a youtube video backing track. If you want to import the track into your DAW or other production software, you will need the audio from the video. You can convert the video easily to an Mp3 HERE. If you have any trouble downloading and converting to MP3, send me a PM with your email address and I can send it to you.

VISIT TRACK
>HERE!<

Last month was a kind of spacey track in E Lydian. This month we are exploring another new mode in F Mixolydian. Great sounding track, very well done, and wide open for improvisation! Check it out, download it, and submit in the "Post Your Entries Here" for December.

One more important note. Don't not upload something because of your recording quality!!! We want to hear you, not have a super-polished Hi-Def music video.

We look forward to hearing you!

(Can I get a Mod to "sticky" this?? Again... lol)

Last edited by FireEagle; 12-07-2014 at 02:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 03:04 PM

Re: Jemsite Guitar Challenge December '14: OFFICIAL THREAD!

Be careful of using that video converter. I'm not sure what the frig happened, but now I'm getting tons of pop-up ads and crap that my virus protector can't get rid of. Any advice on this, of how I can disable all these ads I never used to get would be appreciated.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 08:43 PM

Reviews: 6

Great track, I have a a couple of weeks off starting Wednesday, so I'll get to work on it as soon as the Xmas stuff is done, I never really drink, but have been meeting up with people I only see once a year and my liver is about to divorce me.

Logic - all the conversion sites are a minefield, you have to know which "download" to click - the best way to tell you're not clicking on something dodgy is to watch where it links on the bottom of your browser when you hover before clicking, but experience is the only teacher here. To get rid of the infection is not too difficult.

1: Download Malwarebytes free edition from the site, install and update it, then ensure you have a good unobtrusive anti virus program such as Avira or AVG (free editions are fine).
2: Then go to your browser settings and block popups (you're better with Chrome or Firefox instead of IE).
3: After you have installed both programs, restart your PC and start in safe mode with networking, set Malwarebytes scanning and delete the trash it finds.
4: Restart your PC again in safe mode with networking and run your virus scan from the AV program.
5: Restart your PC as normal and you should be infection free.
6: Build an altar and sacrafice a hippy, emo or goth to Laobi in thanks for cleansing your infection OR if you have a billion or so in a Caribbean bank make an ostentatious dontation to him via Paypal.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbdj View Post
Be careful of using that video converter. I'm not sure what the frig happened, but now I'm getting tons of pop-up ads and crap that my virus protector can't get rid of. Any advice on this, of how I can disable all these ads I never used to get would be appreciated.
Oh no... that sucks. It happened to me once several months ago, I clicked on the wrong thing, but I was able to clean it up like Laobi mentioned. I used Malwarebytes (free) and Microsoft Security Essentials (free). You have to stay away from anything that says "download" other than the converted file you are after... but they design those ads to be tricky. Grrrr...

Oh, you can also search google for cleanup info on whatever malware got into your pc... as it has happened to many others I'm sure. I've had good luck doing that in the past for myself and my father-in-law (who used to click on anything that said "free"... lol).
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 08:44 AM

Haha, I keep trying to jam to this, and then end up on "My Heart Will Go on".

My mind is not with me today...
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-25-2014, 10:18 AM

Still having issues... did everything and apparently cleared stuff, but I'm still getting pop-ups. I'm getting the Malware warnings of stopping sites from popping up (minus the Faster Light stuff, and ads that won't let me do anything until they play through). Not impressed in the least. Downloads should be done on Reverb Nation or some other safe site. What now? Spend money and time getting this crap cleaned off my system? Merry Christmas!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-25-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Still having issues... did everything and apparently cleared stuff, but I'm still getting pop-ups. I'm getting the Malware warnings of stopping sites from popping up (minus the Faster Light stuff, and ads that won't let me do anything until they play through). Not impressed in the least. Downloads should be done on Reverb Nation or some other safe site. What now? Spend money and time getting this crap cleaned off my system? Merry Christmas!
Hey, go through the installed programs in your Control Panel, look for anything suspicious and uninstall it. (Please use caution, and ask someone if you're not 100% sure about something)

Then, depending on the browser you're using, look at the installed addons and disable anything you don't recognize.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Don't spend money.

Go here, and follow these instructions. The guys on the forum there will analyse the logs for you for free, and help you remove the malware.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/foru...questing-help/
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

As posted by logicbdj -

Quote:
FireEagle... I actually like the more subdued stuff, but I know where you're coming from in regard to moving in a different direction. The more distorted stuff sounded like filler... I know, as I do it myself, lol. It's likely one reason why I added vocals to mine... to break it up.
Thanks for the feedback, I do appreciate it. Seems like everything I came up with to play clean just sounded generic and bland. Although I wanted to play this one mellow and clean, I just had to finish it up in true "dork with a guitar" style. I agree about the last part, my heart wasn't really in it. Kind of sums up my playing lately... feel like I'm in a rut and everything I play sounds bad to my ears. I envisioned recording it like the gainy, yet subdued, background lead you hear in some smooth jazz that works well with a clean sounding song... but it came out a bit rough. I added some chorus after the fact to try to smooth it out and it helped somewhat. Just couldn't get the sustain I would have liked, maybe should have used the SZ instead of the RG, since I never touched the tremolo... except I really like the DiMarzio D-Activator bridge (dirty part) and Air Norton S neck (clean part).

As for your entry - I thought you hit it out of the park!! Very nicely done, really fit the track. A couple images were a bit disturbing, but went well with the "feel" the track... and the vocal seemed to fit nicely too. Would you mind if I ask about your setup? Did you use a "sustainer" for that track? Well done!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 07:59 AM

Thanks. All the sustain and those feedback harmonics are done with a device from Germany... a company called www.Vibesware.com (The Guitar Resonator). No amps in my song... all done through a Boss rackmount processor with that feedback mechanism. If I recall, there were a few 'modulation' notes (some wave-like tremolo)... if so, that was with the Voluum pedal (by Sonuus).
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 02:58 PM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Thanks. All the sustain and those feedback harmonics are done with a device from Germany... a company called www.Vibesware.com (The Guitar Resonator). No amps in my song... all done through a Boss rackmount processor with that feedback mechanism. If I recall, there were a few 'modulation' notes (some wave-like tremolo)... if so, that was with the Voluum pedal (by Sonuus).
Wow, that thing is expensive! Did you order direct? It's looks like it's kind of like an Ebow - but looks little more high tech and expensive...
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 03:18 PM

It's not very expensive at all. Add up your guitars, pedals and amps and let me know how much you spent, lol. I had an ebow and sold it... this thing knocks it out of the water... more powerful, you can play and use it (don't have to hold on to it) and the pedal allows you different harmonics and sustain capabilities.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 06:17 PM

Reviews: 10

looks like it would come to about $450 CDN ...ouch =[ Did you order it direct or did you buy it from somewhere in Canada?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 06:21 PM

I ordered direct. Not sure who carries it besides the main company.

Tags
jemsite guitar challenge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode