Jemsite Guitar Challenge November '14: OFFICIAL THREAD! - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Jemsite Guitar Challenge November '14: OFFICIAL THREAD!

Welcome everybody!
Big thanks to those who entered last time!

RULES

• You may record yourself performing a specific track and submit it to Youtube. If it is an audio track you can post it to any leading music hosting sites, such as soundcloud.
  • Submissions will be accepted from now until the last day of November, 2014. Depending on participation, the deadline may be extended.
  • There will be a special thread that will ONLY have submissions. >Click here!<
  • There will be a poll thread created at the end of the submission period. Then it starts all over again!
  • EVERYBODY is encouraged to participate and upload a submission!! No matter what your skill level is. We can vote for a "winner", but just putting yourself out there makes you a winner!!
  • Feedback on performances is permitted and encouraged. It's a good way for musicians to grow. Please keep it polite though. Nothing harsh, and no over-reactions.
  • This is a youtube video backing track. If you want to import the track into your DAW or other production software, you will need the audio from the video. You can convert the video easily to an Mp3 HERE. If you have any trouble downloading and converting to MP3, send me a PM with your email address and I can send it to you.

VISIT TRACK
>HERE!<

Last month was a Petrucci style power ballad in C minor. This month we have a real interesting one too... a kind of spacey track in E Lydian. Great sounding track, wide open for some interesting improvisation! Check it out, download it, and submit in the "Post Your Entries Here" for November.

One more important note. Don't not upload something because of your recording quality!!! We want to hear you, not have a super-polished Hi-Def music video.

We look forward to hearing you!

(Can I get a Mod to "sticky" this?? Again... lol)

Last edited by FireEagle; 11-07-2014 at 07:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Re: Jemsite Guitar Challenge November '14: OFFICIAL THREAD!

Thanks Jono!
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Thought this track was going to be easy... but its so open there is nothing to hide my lack of musical know-how... lol... and why do I keep hitting that sour A note when jamming over it! Grrr...
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 08:25 PM

Reviews: 6

Great choice Fire,

Love this track, the sour A is hard to escape, keep doing it too. Been really busy and will be busy next week, so I'm going to throw something together for it tomorrow.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 09:51 AM

Put something up last night. Am I the only one looking at this as a one-take solo competition? I noticed you guys are mostly putting up Soundcloud links, are you playing this live in a single take or comping entries together?

No big deal either way - I probably don't have the time or the patience to actually compose and comp a solo together out of a couple takes anyway, so I'll keep banging these out in a single pass. It's better practice for me that way anyway, I think.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

I have a lot of respect for you putting up a video improvised after a couple of practice runs. That takes much more talent than I have. I mean, you guys can tell that I suck just by listening. My submission does have more than one track. I did the first section, up to the "break", after practicing some stuff and getting ideas of a melody and improvising on it. Then I figured out what I wanted to play over the "break", recorded it and blew the last few seconds... so I went back and recorded a few seconds (the octave slide part) to take it to where the bass and rhythm guitar comes back in. Then played around with more ideas and finished it off. Went back after the fact and tweaked the sound. Pretty much the same way I have done all of the guitar challenges... except this time I mic'd the giutar differently. I just don't have the skills and talent to jam over a track a couple times and then hit record on a camera. I can try some time if that is what the expectation is for submissions.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 12:37 PM

Reviews: 10

I don't recall any specific rules about submissions having to be one-take....Some guys have done one-take solos with video but I also recall things like overdubbed harmony lines with dual video, which I thought was cool. I believe the objective is just to hear the different playing styles we have here on Jemsite. I don't think it's a competition as much as it is an opportunity to challenge ourselves to play over a track and then share what we were able to come up with musically.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
I can try some time if that is what the expectation is for submissions.
I don't believe that was ever the expectation - again I believe the expectation was to challenge ourselves to come up with something musically over the track, have some fun with it and then share what we were able to come up with . This is supposed to be fun more than it is a competition, at least that's what I believe... if we start imposing rules then I think that starts to take the fun out of it...
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 12:57 PM

Yeah, I was getting the sense that it wasn't.

And I agree - I've been doing it as single take performances, just because for me I enjoy the challenge and because ultimately I want to get to the point where I can rip off a memorable solo with no wrong notes or badly phrased lines or anything in a single take while improvising. I'm clearly not quite there yet.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 02:37 PM

I think it's probably best for each individual to approach these in a manner that will help them get the most out of it...if some guys want to challenge themselves with a single take performance then that is awesome and very cool but if other guys prefer to take different pieces or even overdub harmonies or different textures then I think that is cool too. I approach these the same way I approach recording and that is to practice over the track then record a few attempts and pull out what I like best. I think it's all about having some fun and making some music to share with the community here. I enjoy hearing what ideas other guys come up with. It's always interesting to hear how different guys will approach the same piece of music differently - different tones, techniques, scales, etc. This one is definitely calling for a specific scale with the Lydian tonality but a guy could also just do pentatonics over it...
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
ultimately I want to get to the point where I can rip off a memorable solo with no wrong notes or badly phrased lines or anything in a single take while improvising.
Wouldn't we all! You are pretty darn close, Drew.

I'm just trying to do the best I can on the ones I've submitted. They may sound kind of remedial, but I hope to improve. Its also a great way to learn about recording guitar on a pc. I've learned a LOT by doing these challenges. Last year at this time I didn't know what a DAW was and had never heard of Jemsite.

Maybe I'll challenge myself to do a video of a single pass recroding in the future. Who's up for some 12 bar blues?
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 03:49 PM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Put something up last night. Am I the only one looking at this as a one-take solo competition? I noticed you guys are mostly putting up Soundcloud links, are you playing this live in a single take or comping entries together?

No big deal either way - I probably don't have the time or the patience to actually compose and comp a solo together out of a couple takes anyway, so I'll keep banging these out in a single pass. It's better practice for me that way anyway, I think.
Regarding all my submissions, they all were one-take recordings, I don't have much time so by this way I challenge myself in the way of trying to be original and to get it right with 3-4 tries maximum. I usually jam over without recording once or twice. Mainly because I've not that time...
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
Maybe I'll challenge myself to do a video of a single pass recroding in the future. Who's up for some 12 bar blues?
I'm always up for a 12-bar blues.

Also, just to be clear - I'm not taking a side one way or the other over whether we should be insisting on a single take or not, I'm with the consensus that this is fun and supposed to stay casual, so we don't want to make it overly formal. I think the only thing I WOULD insist is that you be physically capable of playing the finished recording, but then again this doesn't seem to be the sort of community that would be into the Rings of Saturn/The HAARP Machine/djent-y heavy processing thing (recording at half speed, punching in solos one note at a time, etc) so that's probably not a risk. And that's less about "rules" than about keeping us all honest to ourselves.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 04:53 PM

I don't think I ever play a solo the same way twice...I play in two different classic rock bands and during most of my solos I almost always try to add something a little different...push myself a little more...squeeze in an extra note or some different phrasing or vibrato...in many cases I don't even try to learn the solo off of the recording and I improv it every time, which is part of the fun. Even on the few original songs of mine that I recorded, I don't think I would play them exactly the same now...I'm sure I could because I played the solos when I recorded them but I'd have to go back and learn some of the parts again because I don't usually work out solos in advance and then try to execute note for note...this is the same approach I took on the Jemsite challenges that I've entered.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm always up for a 12-bar blues.

Also, just to be clear - I'm not taking a side one way or the other over whether we should be insisting on a single take or not, I'm with the consensus that this is fun and supposed to stay casual, so we don't want to make it overly formal. I think the only thing I WOULD insist is that you be physically capable of playing the finished recording, but then again this doesn't seem to be the sort of community that would be into the Rings of Saturn/The HAARP Machine/djent-y heavy processing thing (recording at half speed, punching in solos one note at a time, etc) so that's probably not a risk. And that's less about "rules" than about keeping us all honest to ourselves.
Right on... casual and fun. I don't do any trickery and don't know much about recording. I do go back and add eq and delay and sometimes compression to the tracks, just trying to get the guitar to sound ok. I can and do play them complete... but recording in chunks helps to get ideas recorded while they are in my head. I may not remember something the next day... lol. I never thought about recording at half speed... (jk)

Tags
jemsite guitar challenge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode