Jemsite Guitar Challenge October '14: OFFICIAL THREAD! - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Jemsite Guitar Challenge October '14: OFFICIAL THREAD!

Welcome everybody!
Big thanks to those who entered last time!

RULES
  • You may record yourself performing a specific track and submit it to Youtube. If it is an audio track you can post it to any leading music hosting sites, such as soundcloud.
  • Submissions will be accepted from now until the last day of October, 2014. Depending on participation, the deadline may be extended.
  • There will be a special thread that will ONLY have submissions. >Click here!<
  • There will be a poll thread created at the end of the submission period. Then it starts all over again!
  • EVERYBODY is encouraged to participate and upload a submission!! No matter what your skill level is. We can vote for a "winner", but even just putting yourself out there makes you a winner!!
  • Feedback on performances is permitted and encouraged. It's a good way for musicians to grow. Please keep it polite though. Nothing harsh, and no over-reactions.
  • This is a youtube video backing track. If you want to import the track into your DAW or other production software, you will need the audio from the video. You can convert the video easily to an Mp3 HERE. If you have any trouble downloading and converting to MP3, send me a PM with your email address and I can send it to you.

VISIT TRACK
>HERE!<

Last month was a funky/groovy track in C Minor, this one is a Petrucci style power ballad in C minor. Great sounding track and should provide for some interesting improvisation!

One more important note. Don't not upload something because of your recording quality!!! We want to hear you, not have a super-polished Hi-Def music video.

We look forward to hearing you!

(Can I get a Mod to "sticky" this??)

Last edited by FireEagle; 10-08-2014 at 10:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 07:55 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: Jemsite Guitar Challenge October '14: OFFICIAL THREAD!

Hope it's OK to post in this thread.......

Can someone teach me how to pull an MP3 file out of these youtube vids. I'd like to try a submission, but I don't know how to do it.........
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-16-2014, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
This is a youtube video backing track. If you want to import the track into your DAW or other production software, you will need the audio from the video. You can convert the video easily to an Mp3 HERE. If you have any trouble downloading and converting to MP3, send me a PM with your email address and I can send it to you.

VISIT TRACK
Hey RGT... I've only done it a few times, but here goes:

--Click on the blue link above where it says Visit Track "Here" to go to the youtube video, then highlight the link in the top of your browser, right click on it, and select "copy" to copy the youtube link.

--Next, click on the blue link above where it says "You can convert the video easily to an Mp3 "Here". That will bring up the site that allows you to download the audio from the youtube video as an MP3 (or other file type if you wish).

--Now right click in the box under "Media url to download" and select "paste" to insert the youtube link. Then click "continue". (It will detect what kind of media the youtube video is automatically)

--Then below that next to "Conversion format", select "MP3" if that is what you want. (I always leave the little checked boxes at the default that it brings up)

--Then click the "Start" button below! It will take a few seconds to convert it on their end, then the "Download" button will appear. Just click that and it will start the download to your PC. Mine goes automatically to the "downloads" folder... but your pc may give you the choice of what location you want the file to download to.

Hope this helps! It's a cool track this month.
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
Hey RGT... I've only done it a few times, but here goes:

--Click on the blue link above where it says Visit Track "Here" to go to the youtube video, then highlight the link in the top of your browser, right click on it, and select "copy" to copy the youtube link.

--Next, click on the blue link above where it says "You can convert the video easily to an Mp3 "Here". That will bring up the site that allows you to download the audio from the youtube video as an MP3 (or other file type if you wish).

--Now right click in the box under "Media url to download" and select "paste" to insert the youtube link. Then click "continue". (It will detect what kind of media the youtube video is automatically)

--Then below that next to "Conversion format", select "MP3" if that is what you want. (I always leave the little checked boxes at the default that it brings up)

--Then click the "Start" button below! It will take a few seconds to convert it on their end, then the "Download" button will appear. Just click that and it will start the download to your PC. Mine goes automatically to the "downloads" folder... but your pc may give you the choice of what location you want the file to download to.

Hope this helps! It's a cool track this month.
Thanks for the help FE.

For some reason unknown to me, the file will not play in windows media player. It downloaded as an .MP3.EXE file. I deleted the .EXE out of the name, but it still will not play. This is the same problem I've had in the past trying to convert these tracks to MP3,,,,, I don't know what to do.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Thanks for the help FE.

For some reason unknown to me, the file will not play in windows media player. It downloaded as an .MP3.EXE file. I deleted the .EXE out of the name, but it still will not play. This is the same problem I've had in the past trying to convert these tracks to MP3,,,,, I don't know what to do.
Thats strange. I wonder why the .exe on the end? I'd be skeptical of opening anything with .exe on it. Mine seems to download it as a regular mp3. Does it do the same with a .wav file?

I'd be glad to email you the mp3... PM me your email address if you want me to.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 04:00 AM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Thanks for the help FE.

Is this happening with MP3s in general or this MP3 in particular? If it's MP3s in general it could be a codec issue. I had this happen to me once before on a machine and it was the result of Windows not knowing what to do with MP3 files. If you're having issues in general try the K-Lite Codec Pack from here:

http://www.codecguide.com/download_k..._pack_mega.htm

Then download the MP3 again. If you're still up the creek drop a pm to either Fire or I and we'll happily mail you the MP3
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 04:09 AM

I almost forgot. To get a few options without worrying about malware/junkware a good site is www.keepvid.com for downloading Youtube as MP3 files.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 05:15 AM

if your browser is firefox, there's a free extension called "video download helper". You can extract any vid from YT and then convert it to mp3 with "any audio converter": a free app.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 05:16 AM

I use this for years: no malware issue
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 11:35 AM

OK, I finally got it. I used Satch_jr's method. I am using the Waterfox 18.0.1 browser. I think this may have been causing my problems. Anyway, between using the "Video download helper" and "any Audio Converter" together- I can now get the MP3's out of these vids. Thanks for the help and the offers to send me the files guys....... much appreciated! Now, anybody want to teach me how to play so I can join the "fray"?
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Glad you got it sorted out! Those buggy little pc issues drive me nuts sometimes... although there always seems to be a relatively easy fix, if you know how to find it. Regarding your playing... Don't sweat it. Nobody has told me to stop yet... even with my remedial playing, poor timing, and crappy sound. lol... Would be great to have you in the challenge!

I'm looking forward to trying some of your recording suggestions this month, if I can ever get the work done on my house. I've been spending more time with a hammer or drill in my hand that a guitar lately! Time to get back on that ladder...
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Glad you got it sorted out! Those buggy little pc issues drive me nuts sometimes... although there always seems to be a relatively easy fix, if you know how to find it. Regarding your playing... Don't sweat it. Nobody has told me to stop yet... even with my remedial playing, poor timing, and crappy sound. lol... Would be great to have you in the challenge!

I'm looking forward to trying some of your recording suggestions this month, if I can ever get the work done on my house. I've been spending more time with a hammer or drill in my hand that a guitar lately! Time to get back on that ladder...
Too bad I'm not closer to you....... I've been a carpenter for the last 29 years. Strictly residential and commercial remodeling for the last 12........LOL.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

No kidding? Thats awesome.. I could sure use some of your skills right now! I'm replacing old nasty facia and trim and hoping to paint the house before it gets too cold. Nice weather right now so as soon as I get home from work I have to get to work on the house until I run out of daylight. I don't mind doing it, but I'm not fast and not particularly good at it... lol!
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
No kidding? Thats awesome.. I could sure use some of your skills right now! I'm replacing old nasty facia and trim and hoping to paint the house before it gets too cold. Nice weather right now so as soon as I get home from work I have to get to work on the house until I run out of daylight. I don't mind doing it, but I'm not fast and not particularly good at it... lol!
Put a PVC coated aluminum clad over it instead of painting. You'll never have to paint again......... it's worth every penny you put into it man.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Put a PVC coated aluminum clad over it instead of painting. You'll never have to paint again......... it's worth every penny you put into it man.
If we planned on staying here I would have considered that, for sure... We are looking to move West in the very near future. Hopefully back home to sunny southern AZ... Right now we gotta get this place up to snuff and on the market ASAP! I can't handle another arctic winter here. Power washed about half of the house after work today, plus the front porch. Planning on slapping some paint around this weekend, weather permitting. We are running out of time here in KS, snow will be falling before we know it.

Tags
jemsite guitar challenge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode