Joe Satriani's squeally thing... - How? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2002, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Joe Satriani's squeally thing... - How?

Right, I think Joe Satriani uses this quite often - think Extremist. It's where he uses his left hand under the neck for the whammy bar and picks (?) with his left hand? I have no idea what he's doing - other than the whammy bit - and have given up watching the DVD in slow-mo.

Ideas would be gratefully received.

Thanks a lot

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2002, 02:39 PM

Reviews: 5
Joe Satriani's squeally thing...

choke up on the pick with your thumb and hit an open harmonic over the pickups on the G string. *Do this with the bar depressed and then pull up. *It will squeal. *If you want to add a satch touch, use your whammy pedal and bring it up an octave when you pull up.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2002, 06:52 PM

another variation satch uses a lot is to pinch across multiple strings at once.

you need to be pretty handy with pinch harmonics in the first place, and have a fair amount of gain on to get this to work right, but it's great when you do.

reach over with the fretting hand and dump the bar down (not all the way), then do a pinch harmonic on the g-string but do it real quick and go over the b-string too, then raise the bar with the fretting hand.

if you get it right and both squeals ring out, the different tensions in the strings will make the two notes rise at different rates so you get a cool "phasing" kind of effect between them.

whammy = fun!

--cilve.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2002, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

Time for me to go blind...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 06:19 PM

Reviews: 3
I was kinda wondering about that technique too after watching the g3 video...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 06:57 PM
EKG

I get similar effects by pressing the trem down and striking the G and B strings, both with my right hand, and getting the harmonics with my left (fretting) hand around the first and second frets. Learned this technique watching EVH a lot
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 11:03 PM
OME

Reviews: 6
I like playing a natural harmonic on the G-string at the 17th fret and pulling up on the bar. Also when doing a Satch harmonic cross-over
I'll make the harmonics by palming them instead of pinching them,
that way I have more control over which strings are being heard.

Tags
joe satriani , pinch harmonics , whammy pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode