Just Getting Into Maiden - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Just Getting Into Maiden

So I'm just getting into Iron Maiden, and I'm trying to figure out how to tell who is playing the guitar solos. Are they panned, if so who's on each side?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 09:10 PM
ZJH

Re: Just Getting Into Maiden

Well, to be vague, it's either Adrian Smith or Dave Murray playing a given solo. lol

But you might wanna look at some booklets or something to find out who's playing which solo. I can't remember off the top of my head.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 09:47 PM

Adrian Smith and Dave Murray are great players.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 10:05 PM
ZJH

Wish I could say the same about Janick Gers. lol
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 10:45 PM

Go get a live video and watch. I have a DVD of "live after death" that rocks.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2005, 03:18 AM

If the solo sounds "flutey" it's Dave. He almost exclusively plays solos on the neck pickup.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2005, 03:47 AM

yeah dave solos on neck all the time. im seeing them at ozzfest on the 20th of this month, gunna be sick
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2005, 04:45 AM

if its fast, fluid and bluesy-its probably dave

if its slower, more considered sounding, and a bit less bluesly-its probably adrian

if its fast and slightly atonal sounding-its janick
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2005, 06:49 AM

Can tell from the guitar sounds as well, especially on their old albums.

Dave used a Fender Strat with humbucker in bridge, and like the other guys said, his solos were mostly played with the neck pickup. Very sweet and flutey. If its a fast widdly pentatonic run, you can bet its Dave.

Adrian used Les Pauls and Ibanez Destroyers, sometimes with MXR distortion to boost the Marshall. His sound was a classic fat humbucker sound. I loved that wicked sound of his.

Janick sounds too much like Dave, but nowhere near as tasteful. Never got into his playing really.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2005, 07:22 AM

i like janick. hes ace live and his playing is actually quite tasteful if you watch him. when they play older stuff he tends to let dave and adrian play most things and sort of just adds a little of his own stuff and the third harmony parts that never used to get played.... i think three guitarists is excactly what maiden should always have had!
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2005, 08:24 AM

Fair enough jimmy, its just that i haven't listened to much of their recent stuff, I was really into them like 20 years ago.

For the solos, take Aces High as a good example of their sound and style. Dave does the first one, then Adrian. I think that when it came to the harmony riffs (of most of their songs), it was Dave playing the higher harmony panned left, and Adrian the lower harmony on the right.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2005, 09:45 AM

Depending what Maiden you are listening to? Old Maiden with Murray and Smith is the best Maiden. I assume you have purchased CD's? The older albums ( actual giant black vinyl things that went on a turntable ) with Dickensen singing starting with number of the beast, all had inner sleeves with notes, credits, words...... I seem to remember these albums also giving in the lyrics "solo breaks" and who was performing solo's. Alot of bands did that back in the day. I seem to remember some of the pre Bruce Dickensen albums having the same but certainly not all of them. But once you are able to put together who is who, you will be able to pick them out by ear. Smith and Murray are the "Dynamic dual",,, Jannick is a charecter for sure, not the best guitarist I have ever heard but he has charisma. If he would just stick playing rhythm guitar and stop even trying to play harmonies it would be cool.

~A
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2005, 11:02 AM

Good for you Maiden is great "Can I Play with Madness" is one of my favorate Maiden songs .

Regards

Andrť

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2005, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Yea I'm definitely lovin their stuff. Yea I can definitely hear some of the tonal differences in the solos. So the tips on which gear they were using will really help.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2005, 01:12 PM

Reviews: 34

I used to be able to do that with Motorheads various guitar players, but never Maiden.

Tags
adrian smith , bruce dickinson , fender strat , guitar players , humbucker sound , iron maiden , les paul , les pauls , mxr distortion , neck pickup , super distortion , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode