Is it just me or does Dream Theater totally ROCK!!!??? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Ibanez endorsed

Is it just me or does Dream Theater totally ROCK!!!???

I just got back from the Fates Warning, Dream Theater, Queensryche concert up in Seattle Washington. Man it was INTENSE!! I have seen Dream Theater 3 other times and they rocked each time. I have seen Queensryche too many times to remember... lol

I LOVED the medley they did and at the end when everyone (Dream Theater and Queensryche) played 6 songs together with Scott Rockenfield <-- sp? and Mike Portnoy <--sp? playing both drum kits at the same time...... It just plain ROCKED!! I loved how they did Take Hold and James Labree <--sp? sang back and forth with Tate and then they did Peruvian Sky and traded vocals.... just rocked. I have to say though that I was disappointed the Degarmo did not play live. The guy that did play did not play ANY of Degarmo's solos. He did his own thing which was usually a blaze of notes somewhere in the minor pentatonic. Kinda felt like I was back in the "Seattle Grunge" days (the guy looked like it too...) He played the harmonies with Wilton but they sounded a little "off". I could not stand it how he just played fast and furious pentatonic scale solos during Jet City Woman (not to mention every other song he soloed in.......). Oh well, aside from that, the show was KICK ASS!!! If this show is coming to your town.......... GO!!! Tickets are $50.00 but WELL worth it!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 06:23 AM

glad u enjoyed it.

ive seen dt also (my fave band ever) and i loved every second very very intense show fantastic to the last.

dream theater are just amazing there music is great and when played live it kinda washes over you. its amazing.........................................
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 06:57 AM

Yup I'm totally with you guys on this one. I've been away from the country for the last 10 years or so but for years now I've been dying to go to a Dream Theater concert. I mean when you hear the records and watch the concerts on DVD , suffice to say there has been no other band who has captivated me so much. I mean there will always be Metallica ( just upto the Black album that is), Megadeth, Judas Priest,Iron Maiden and (how could I forget) Pantera to meet all our outright guitar and pure metal needs. Yet Dream Theater take music itself to a whole new level with their profound grasp of everything and anything you can do with rock instruments. Furious riffs and power chords, outragious drum and keyboard solos, profound lyrics, unbelievable licks and solos along with those beautiful melodies all take a listener on the Metropolis rollercoaster that makes us live through every emotion and relate to every feeling. That, gentleman, is what I feel Dream Theater is all about and that's why they'll always be the greatest band I've ever heard. I guess you can probabaly tell that over the next few years that James, John, Mike, Mr Myung and Jordan might get very used to seeing me right up there behind the bar at the ballrooms and stadiums, singing along to their wondrous creations, which is truly the stuff of legends.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 09:49 AM

Reviews: 1
did dream theater play any of the new songs that are supposed to be on the new album this fall? If so, what was your take on that?

I've been fortunate to see dream theater at least once during every lineup going back to the "when dream and day unite" days". While i dont think their shows or thier material has as much energy as it used to, I never hesitate to go see a show when i get the chance. Thats a bummer about Digarmo. Queensryche without him would be like DT without petrucci.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Ibanez endorsed

No they played material from 6 degrees, Metropolis PT II, Awake, Images and Words and When Day and Dream Unite. But no new stuff. Yeah I agree man. I am sure someone else could play Petrucci's parts but it just would not be the same. Thats EXACTLY how it was with this new guy jamming with Ryche....
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 03:57 PM

I'm savin' up for G3 this fall. OK, I admit it, I woke up too late to buy good tickets for DT show!!!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 04:03 PM

i cannot wait until dream theater come back to europe. i got into them too late and missed them on the six degrees tour, so i have had a huge wait to see them live.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 09:28 PM

Yes Dream Theater does ROCK!!! I was FW, QR, and DT a while ago. That show just rocked!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 05:17 PM

i saw that concert when it came to cincinnati.

by far and away, the greatest show i've ever been to
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 08:24 PM

Reviews: 5
it's just you...

just kidding, it's just you and a bunch of other white guys
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2003, 01:46 AM

Dream Theater does rock. I've seen them twice, 99' Phoenix AZ and 02 Luxumburg. Both great but the latter was the best. I've seen FW back in 89' or 90' when No Exit came out. That was great. Would've liked to see them when John Arch was singing. Seen Q with Metalica in 89' or 90'. But to see all three during the same show would be incredible. I am in the USAF stationed in Germany and hope to see great concerts like that when I rotate back in Jan.

Cheers, James
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 04:24 PM

yeah, we just say them a few weeks back in the bay area - very cool show; @ the end Dream Theater joined Queensryche's encore - they jammed several songs, ending with The Who's "You won't get fooled again".

it was awesome...
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2003, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7vwh
it's just you...
did u mean everybody else with ears? This is a very disagreeable statement but when you think about it DT has almost the best musicians in every instrument they play. So for all you people go see them its worth the 50$.(all you Europeans do the exchange yuorselfs!) O by the way hers the tour dates http://dreamtheater.net/tour.htm and you can probably order online so this takes away your unpreparedness <--sp? and your excuses!

Tags
iron maiden , mike portnoy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode