Labatt's Hometown Bash - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-15-2003, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Labatt's Hometown Bash

Tomorrow night, despite the blackouts all over, is the big show They're trucking in a load of generators just in case It will go on. So I get to see Three Days Grace, Simple Plan, American Hi-Fi, Korn, and Nickelback
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-17-2003, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

Here's my official review:

Ears still ringing, voice mostly gone, a f*cking amazing night!!

Three Days Grace:

Purely amazing! Great energy, amazing playing (especially the drummer, pulling off stuff I thought was double-pedal with a single-pedal...), great singing, great stage presence. If you get a chance to see these guys live, DO IT.

American Hi-Fi:

Good, but not amazing, especially when forced to follow Three Days Grace Crowd started getting bored, and crowd surfers became a major hassle very quickly.

Simple Plan:

A very pleasant surprise Great playing, singing, energy, everything! Not a note missed that I heard, vocals and harmony in perfect pitch, and enough energy and fun to keep the non-technically minded fans entertained. Still, the crowd was here for one purpose, and made it known:

Korn:

This was possibly the best concert experience of my life. Head was using his nickel-plated K-7 with the "Dunce" inlay mostly, and another as a backup (similar looking, didn't look too closely, but one had a single, fat bubinga stripe on the neck, the other had two thinner ones, both with stripes running right through the headstock), Munky was using a couple custom K-7s, one was flat black with a "69" inlay at the 12th fret, and weird DNA-ish inlays over the rest of the neck, the other was camoflage finished, and I didn't get a close look at the inlays (I was right in front of Head when I was standing...), Fieldy was using the stock K-5s. Jon Davis' singing was spot on, the playing was amazing, Head did the old "throw-your-guitar-over-your-shoulder" trick at the suggestion of his guitar tech The crowd was very wild, so I was getting bumped around a LOT.

Nickelback:

Half of the crowd left after Korn (their reason for showing up quite clear), but people from the back-half of the area crowded in and filled out the crowd, which was much calmer and enjoyable than during the previous bands. To describe the set simply: F*cking amazing. If anyone out there has any doubts that Nickelback can pull it off live, put them out of your mind. The set was high-energy, high volume, heavy, and full of fun lighting and pyrotechnics (set the stage on fire in places twice ).

Overall:

I was up near the very front of the crowd for most of the sets, but got jostled around so bad during Korn's set I got moved all over the place. I stood farther back for Nickelback (almost left after Korn myself, but decided to stick around, thankfully). The show was great, the crowd, for the most part, wasn't. I would recommend any of these bands.

Tags
guitar tech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode