Learning For The Love of God? (Whammy tricks?) - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Learning For The Love of God? (Whammy tricks?)

Hey guys,

I'm trying to learn FTLOG (actually I've been for a few months). But I can't seem to figure out some things

The whammy stuff (1:57, 2:37, 3:00, 3:55)

The fast sequence at ~2:12. I can do it, but I always seem to extend it like 0.5 - 1 second too long. Any tips?

Also the return of the bend at 2:45, I'm not quite sure how to explain, but when he does it he makes the return and the 20th fret on the B string sound like 2 notes, but when I do it sounds like 3 notes.

The solo. I find it quite hard to find out what he plays and it's very fast. I started slow and now my speed is decent, but still not fast enough. Do I just keep practicing? I am picking everything, is it really all picked?

Also, if you have any general tips on FTLOG, please tell me I'm gonna (try to) perform it March 2013, and I really want to do the song justice!

Thanks!
Jimmy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2012, 11:54 AM

Re: Learning For The Love of God? (Whammy tricks?)

Been a few years since I've played it but I'll see if I can remember!

1:57 is if I remember pulling off a note (I think 13th fret (G#) on the G string to the open G then bombing the bar right down.

2:37 is a pre-dive so pull the bar down before you hit the note and let it return to pitch.

3:00 onwards, use the side of your picking hand on the end of the bar and tap it in rhythm with the song.

3:33 - 35 spin the bar so it's facing away from the guitar neck and do the same sort of thing as above.

3:55 is a pick slide with some wah.

Hope that helps!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 11:22 AM

the solo is certainly not all picked,lots of hammer on`s/pull offs,i`d recommend watching a few live performances on you tube to get the idea.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshi View Post
Also the return of the bend at 2:45, I'm not quite sure how to explain, but when he does it he makes the return and the 20th fret on the B string sound like 2 notes, but when I do it sounds like 3 notes.
So you bend the note up, and then pick it at the same time you begin un-bending it, and then pick it a second time when it is completely released.

I'm using the note at 2:45 here for reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okLDkcexiVg
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 01:51 PM

While we're on the subject of FTLOG, for YEARS I didn't know there was any sweep picking in the part that begins at 3:57. I thought it was just a two notes before each high note. It wasn't until I saw a tutorial on YouTube when I saw there were like 4 notes that were sweep picked before each high note. I was like Even now I have to strain my ears to hear them.

I'm talking about the first sweeps this guy does:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfo71ar4bYw

I honestly don't hear those on the album.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 03:25 PM

keep practicing mate, best way to learn it.

Tags
for the love of god , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode