Learning piano - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Learning piano

How important is it to have weighted keys to learn piano on? I think most of the pros/virtuosos/Jordan Ruddess use weighted keys for their stuff...what is the advantage of using weighted? I know it helps build finger strength which is why I'd like to start with one...but I'm moving out soon and I'm not sure I'd be able to take a fully weighted piano with me. And most fully weighted keyboards are pretty expensive, so that's most likely not an option. I'd like to keep the cost of a piano around $500 - $600. For that price I figure I can get an old used upright piano or a cheap MIDI keyboard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 04:46 PM

Re: Learning piano

it's all about feel. i will be getting a midi controller board soon for my midi e-mu rack units. non-weighted feels like ****! i'm getting an 88-key weighted for $250...you can find them anywhere. that's just the controller though...that's all i need.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 05:23 PM

I played classical piano for many years before I started playing guitar. When the whole world was going to synth and electronic keyboards, many players complained those plastic keys have no feel a la real piano. After years of refinement by manufacturers like Fatar and Roland, there are a lot of improvements and nowadays the weight simulation is much closer to the real thing. The last controller I own was a Fatar Studio 88 which was the best in terms of weighted action. But IMHO they will never perfect the duplication of a real piano. It is still very different playing a weighted electronic keyboard vs. a real piano. In general, you have to be much more focused and controlled over a real piano because when you strike the key, the hammer will hit the string, but the dynamics are entirely base on how you strike the key and the feedback is instantaneous. I can never get the same intensity of feedback from an electronic keyboard.

If you are serious about becoming a piano player, investment in an upright is the best, but it may not fit your personal situation though. So the next best thing is e-piano. IMHO Roland makes a better electronic piano than others in terms of weighted keys, becuase I heard something about Fatar being the OEM making the keys for Roland. If you can afford one (or find a used on in good shape), you can play piano and also use it as your MIDI controller. If you buy just a controller (like the Fatar I have), you still need a good piano synth module to give you sound.

I recommend going to stores to try different things to find something you like that fits your situation as well.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

If I go the keyboard route, this is the cheapest one I could find:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KeystationPro88/

Are the keys on it any good? M-Audio usually makes pretty good stuff, but I've never tried one of their keyboards.

shredmaster...where do you find a weighted 88-key keyboard for $250? I really want to know!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 02:02 PM

it was at GC about 3 months ago. also at MF online. it is made by M-Audio. really nice. remember, it had NO voicings on it, it was just the midi controller. do a search on their page for midi keyboard controller.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Actually, from a lot of reviews I read, the feel and action of the M-Audio is sucky. I'm probably going to go with this instead --

http://www.***************.com/srs7/...base_id/111264

Tons of features are not necessary. I can just run the keyboard into my computer and use patches there.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 02:26 PM

link doesn't work so i don't know what you're talking about. m-audio is great for me from what i tried....i never played piano before. there are NO features on it....just a controller. what brand name are you looking at and how much?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 10:09 PM

i prefer weighted keys!!!!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
Actually, from a lot of reviews I read, the feel and action of the M-Audio is sucky. I'm probably going to go with this instead --

http://www.***************.com/srs7/...base_id/111264

Tons of features are not necessary. I can just run the keyboard into my computer and use patches there.
Have you considered buying a second hand controller one off auction sites? Fatar 88-key controllers go from $250 to $350 (on evilbay) which may fit your budget.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 11:45 PM

Whichever electronic route you end up going, i'd advise against the 'old upright' piano. You'll get what you pay for and you'll end up spending the difference on tuning in the first year.

~K

Tags
midi controller , playing guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode