learning to play with the opposite hand - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

learning to play with the opposite hand

Has anyone here tried to teach them selves to play with the other hand? In my formative years I had some injuries to my left hand (fingering hand) and it had a distinct influence on my playing. I watch so many people for instance who can hammer a trill with their 3rd finger like nobodys business, like Steve, SRV, and probably most of you. I can't to save my life. It seems my right hand is able and the fingers feel more fluid and less arthritic so I am thinking of taking a year and seeing if I can't transfer some of my abilities to the other hand.
I met a guy in Alaska who did that. Played 2 identical white Strats and rubberbanded a pick to each thumb and strapped the guitar on his back and could go back and forth with relative ease! I don't want to do it as a trick, I just want to play better and just in case the left hand goes south one day I would like to have a back up!

Anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 12:51 PM

Re: learning to play with the opposite hand

Some people can do it... I think most can't though. I know I can't. Just can't get comfortable... (I tried due to an injury to my left arm)

My uncle has tried to learn right handed (he's lefty) for many years and can't. Again, due to injury....

Michael Angelo Batio is left handed, but he plays (mostly) right handed... but that's now he learned to play.

I suggest try it, give it a while and see if you can do it.

If you can't, learn to play around your limitations. Sometimes it can help you develop a unique style having to deal with things you simply can't do. It motivates you to work on it, but at the same time your strengths will be exaggerated since you'll be more likely to lean on them more.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 03:20 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Yeah I play with the other hand.In the beginning felt like a drunk stranger was there with me but now it's cool.
Oh wait............are you talking about playing a guitar?
No never tried
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2012, 04:18 PM

I sometimes have a play with the other hand, works out well as I can't really get used to using my right hand on the mouse.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 05:30 AM

I bought a left handed Ibanez RG and leaned to play some leads, chords were easy.
The picking was the hard part.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 11:29 AM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
Yeah I play with the other hand.In the beginning felt like a drunk stranger was there with me but now it's cool.
No never tried
Wow. Just wow ha

I tried, broke my hand a few years ago. Got decent but I stopped, and I lost all the progress I made.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 02:47 PM

I've wondered if I would have been a better player if I had learned to play left handed.

Is there a reason why traditionally the dominant, more coordinated hand is not on the fretboard?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 04:50 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Rage View Post
I've wondered if I would be a better player if I had learned to play left handed.

Is there a reason why traditionally the dominant, more coordinated hand is not on the fretboard?
Yep, your hand is smarter than your brain, it took control and chose what it wanted to play and not........... the opposite
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2012, 02:46 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
No never tried

hehe....i thought that was really funny...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 11:08 AM

Sounds like it would be tough, but if you're ambidextrous enough you could do it.

I too have had much left hand damage. I wish you luck.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
In the beginning felt like a drunk stranger was there with me
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 07:13 PM

I'm ambidextrous, playing opposite handed still is not easy at all though. You'd think that what you've learned with one hand would transfer over to the other, but to put it simply, if you switch hands then each hand has to learn a new skill it isn't used to. These new skills also have to be coordinated together, learning opposite handed won't be any easier than learning to play in the first place except for that you've done it once before.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 04:07 PM

Reviews: 13

I'd say it wouldnt take time to learn everything again, the hard part would be getting used to the feel.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 04:21 PM

Steve Morse did it. You can do it too. Just takes time.

Tags
opposite hand , relearning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode