Learning to Shred?...... - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-02-2003, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Learning to Shred?......

Hi there. Ive been playing the guitar for a couple of years now. Ive only really been playing simple Metallica riffs, and the odd solo. I wouldn’t say I was good compared to some people by any means, but i am able enough.
I want to start to build my speed up and get a better technique rather than playing crap riffs all the time.
What stuff would people recommend to starting out with? Scales?, song? techniques? . Im the type of person that loves to play the guitar, but if i look at a certain practice technique that is very boring ill put the guitar down and go and do something else

All help appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 08:40 AM

Learn the major scale all over the fretboard, in every mode, in every key. Learn 3 and 4 note coils (ascending and descending). Play them using alternate picking and sweep picking, and pick every note. That's what I did (also with harmonic minor and pentatonic), and it makes playing other people's shred stuff much easier. Just my $0.02.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredOrDead
Learn the major scale all over the fretboard, in every mode, in every key. Learn 3 and 4 note coils (ascending and descending). Play them using alternate picking and sweep picking, and pick every note. That's what I did (also with harmonic minor and pentatonic), and it makes playing other people's shred stuff much easier. Just my $0.02.
I agree.

The only thing I would add is play with a metronome. I know it is boring but I when I went to Musicians Institute I seemed to hear the same story from guys like Paul Gilbert to Al Di Meola to Frank Gambale say the same thing. To get fast and clean there is only one route to go.

Take the 7 modes. Play them all in A, 2 octaves each mode, starting at the 5th fret, going up the fretboard with the root note on the 6th string. Now with the metronome at a low rate, like 60, play each note on the fretboard with the click. Everyday put the metronome up 2 more clicks and keep playing it until you are perfectly accurate. Don't increase the motronome until you are playing perfect. Within a few months you will be shredding like crazy.

If this is too hard, first try the 4 notes per string, one note per finger exercise that you start on the low E string, 1st fret and go all the way up and down the fretboard with the metronome.

Also, if you can find it, check out that old Paul Gilbert video lesson tape thing. He figured out some really cool shredding licks and patterns that are easy to pick up and when they are played fast...WOW!!

Hope this helps
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 02:13 AM

Can someone point me in the direction of some good reference material for all these modes ( and scales, chords, etc) - I've played guitar for a while, but have always had completely wacked tunings. I can shred to a degree and with good speed, but I've always just made up my own scales and such.

However, I want to give this 'standard tuning' thing a chance...
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 06:42 AM

Here's a great practice site:
www.wholenote.com
They have a ton of scales there, a chord finder, and even a little backing track player- you can pick the key/tempo! Pretty cool for free.

Oh- and don't forget the lessons from Chris D. here under "Guitar Lessons & Music Theory". I think they're stickie'd at the top.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 10:27 AM

Troy Stetina has a great scales book. You can buy it at Amazon dot com.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Hmm.I have found what seems to be the 7 modes. But im somewhat confused when you say to play them in A, 2 octaves each mode?
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirly
Hmm.I have found what seems to be the 7 modes. But im somewhat confused when you say to play them in A, 2 octaves each mode?
I understand. It is easier to show. I am new here and there doesn't seem to be a way to "upload" a JPG here. I have a 1 page jpg of all the modes in TAB, Staff and fingering. Once you see the page, you will understand. I will email it to you after I scan it in. You will get it within the hour.

Happy shredding
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 02:16 PM

Quote:
He means playing A phrygian, A dorian, A lydian, A mixolydian, A aeolian, A locrian and A ionian from the 6th stirng to the 1st string. You have to play through to octaves to go from the 6th to the 1st string. That is you'll play over the same notes atleast twice(one set being an octave higher in nature).
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Wizard
I understand. It is easier to show. I am new here and there doesn't seem to be a way to "upload" a JPG here. I have a 1 page jpg of all the modes in TAB, Staff and fingering. Once you see the page, you will understand. I will email it to you after I scan it in. You will get it within the hour.

Happy shredding
Cheers. Your help is apprieciated

BrianH. I think i understand you, but when it comes to music theory im not to good . Thanks for your help, hopefully GuitarWizards picture will help me out
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 02:52 PM

Hey Swirly,

I just emailed you the JPG to you hotmail address in your profile. It is about 200 KB in size. Music theory is hard to explain over the net, back and forth. I pretty much used the modes to help me co-ordinate both the right and left hands when picking. The modes help you concentrate on different fingerings and string skipping that you might not comes across naturally. But, once you get them down, you can impress your friends by just going up and down the fretboardover and over again, really fast. Weeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Cheers.Just got it, although the picture quality isnt amazing, so its hard trying to tell the difference between some numbers/notes
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 03:04 PM

Another great source is the "Guitar Grimoire" books. Get the one that just covers scales and modes -- has a whole BUNCH of scales, in every key, in every mode, all over the fretboard. Mine is seriously dog-eared from lots of use. Good luck!
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Cheers.Just got it, although the picture quality isnt amazing, so its hard trying to tell the difference between some numbers/notes
Hmmm... It is scanned in at 200dpi and shrunk its file size to get it to you..It is small print though because it is only on 1 page...it looks OK on my screen though when you choose "see actual pixels" on my photo explorer program...do you have photoshop or some other graphics program? You might need to look at it at "actual pixels" options.

The fetboard diagrams at the top should help.

BUT, you are the second person I have emailed something to so maybe I will just make a web site on a free server and put this stuff up. This will take a while though. I will get back to within a day...
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 03:18 PM

Hey Swirly,

I'll send you a bigger JPG. This is a bigger file. It is 1.2 MB but the picture is bigger and clearer. Hope it makes it to you. I am sending it now.

I just sent it 3:35 my time.

I also agree, the Guitar Grimoire Series by Carl Fisher is outstanding and I consider it my bibles. Buy them if you can. Check with Amazon.com or local book stores or music stores and order them. The first one was a black cover one titled "scales and modes". Gotta love that Super Locrian mode

Just got a failure notice on my sent mail. I guess the files was too big to send through my mail server...I will try to set up a web site now and try put the JPG.s there. Check back here later. I will make a note of where to go and see it...

Tags
alternate picking , backing track , frank gambale , fret board , music store , paul gilbert , rusty cooley , steve vai , string skipping , sweep picking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode