Left Hand Wrist Technique and - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2003, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

Left Hand Wrist Technique and

I have been playing quite comfortabley for years with my current technique, but after hooking up with a new teacher he informed me that I play with far too much stress in my arm and that my wrist bends at a right angle almost when im playing(usually on the lower strings). He reckons I have to correct this or else I cud seriously damage myself.
You wud think this problem wud only occur with the guitar slung low, but mines at a very respectable height and my hands are pretty big!!
Ive tried and tried to fix this but I just cant play with my wrist straight and I just give up and no longer feel like playing!!!!

My teacher reckons I shud get a classical guitar and learn classical 4 a while as this shud sort out my whole posture and technique.

Have n e of u guys had to correct the same sort of thing??
How can I destress my arm and wrist?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2003, 08:22 AM

I don't really understand what kind of posture you play with but I don't think you should quit playing like that if you feel comfortable. However, I think that for electric guitar playing it is essential to know how to play with more than one type of hand posture. You can't do everything with only one posture. I use a very classical position for legato runs or sweeps but it is also essential to get your thumb over the neck (ala Hendrix) if you want powerful bends. Anyway, it is also possible that your curent position may lead to health problems in the future in which case you MUST change. I can't help you if I don't see you, though. Try getting a good pic of your hand while you are playing so we can see what it looks like.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 12:21 PM

The first thing that came to my mind when I read your description of your posture was Marty Friedman. If you've seen him play you should have noticed that he bends his wrist at a very peculiar angle too. Is your case something like that?
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

It basically is when im playing on the bottom strings. My wrist is fully bent and my hand seems 2 arc inwards slightly as if it is making an imaginary support for my fingers
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 04:53 AM

Re: Left Hand Wrist Technique and

Anyone got anymore ideas on this? I've just started classical guitar lessons to make myself a better musician, and the left hand position is really bothering me.

I can understand why you need to have you wrist straight, etc. so you can stretch and fret things easier, but I've just held my hand in that kind of position for about 5 mins, and I got a pain in my palm, and I could feel the ends of my fingers start to go numb.

What makes it worse is that I can't even fret an open position Gmaj chord without bringing my wrist over at an angle.

I've only been at it for a day, and I might be doing it wrong, it seems to look right, but feels extremely uncomfortable, my teacher said it would, but I didn't assume it would be painful!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 04:29 PM

I've got that sinking feeling...

Anyway, I figured it out myself, and it's all fine again. It's quite funny cos it forced me to look at my LH position, and I've found that I subconciously shift between a few different positions depending on what I'm doing. For instance, if I bend a string, my thumb wraps around the neck, and the upper side of my palm acts as a pivot, and for legato stuff, m wrist bends a little bit, my thumb becomes a bit straighter, and my fingers get arched.

There are a few other things, but they're probably not interesting to any of you either! The point is...errrr...do what is natural for your hand!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 09:43 PM

Classical positioning technique can teach you alot about just how you go about holding the guitar. ITs likely that alot of great players arent really aware of the postures they are trying to use while playing guitar. Find what works best for you. The numbness in your fingers sounds ike and early sign of carpal tunnel syndrome unfortunately though.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 01:25 AM

Yeah I've always wondered about this. I used to have "proper" technique then it went to hell. On the lower frets, my thumb always wraps around the neck, only when bending, just as somebody above me said. But on the higher frets, my fretting hand retains proper positioning and the thumb is directly centered on the back of the neck. Anybody know if this is detrimental to my health, playing ability, etc?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMG View Post
Yeah I've always wondered about this. I used to have "proper" technique then it went to hell. On the lower frets, my thumb always wraps around the neck, only when bending, just as somebody above me said. But on the higher frets, my fretting hand retains proper positioning and the thumb is directly centered on the back of the neck. Anybody know if this is detrimental to my health, playing ability, etc?
Satch often puts his thumb over the neck as well as several other guitarist i know of, just try to be more aware of your thumb placement its crucial to whatever you doing, i dont know how wrong something is if its EXTREMELY comfortable to you.

Tags
electric guitar , guitar playing , lower strings , marty friedman , playing guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode