legato staccato sounding like picking - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 06:10 AM Thread Starter

legato staccato sounding like picking

Hey to everybody,
I found this video on Yout*be to be quite helpful and maybe it is some good ideas here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MswlgtzAH5Q

It's actually a nice idea I never thought about
As I'm not a great picker, this technique might help a lot: this guy uses slightly muted legato to get
that particular "staccato" sound You get from alternate picking normally - using only legato.
What's Your thoughts about it?
Thanx
Dino
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 07:23 AM

Reviews: 6
Re: legato staccato sounding like picking

I use this technique since many years without having paid attention. Legato with palm mute is just how it as to be done.
This is great for fast licks, gives a YJM feel on the playing, especially on long runs starting from low notes till the high E
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Re: legato staccato sounding like picking

well, I always used to mute during legato runs the strings I NOT played... he mutes the strings he's playing while playing legato. Actually, You're right: it gives those runs a YJM-feel to it.. something I always wanted to achieve in my fast scalar runs but the sound of strict alternate picking is different from muted legato - I think the muted legato comes closer to YJM.

Tags
legato , picking , shred , staccato

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode