Lesson 9: *Intervals - We are now entering the tritone zone! - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-29-2001, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 5
Lesson 9: *Intervals - We are now entering the tritone zone!

Lesson 9: Intervals.

What's an interval? *It's actually a lot simpler than it sounds. *Put simply, an interval is a description of the amount of space between two notes. *The way we describe this space is dependant on two factors. *What the root note's name is, and the magnitude of the space between it and the other note. *By space, I don't mean how far apart they are written on the staff, but rather, how close in pitch they are to each other. *

For instance, hopefully we're all aware that a G and G# are closer than G and B. *All of these notes we use in Western Music (A, A#, B, C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, G, G#) are all said to be the same distance from each other. *That is, the distance from A to A# is the same as from F to F# or B to C. *This constant distance is called a semi-tone or half-step. *When I said we'd be measuring the magnitude of the space between two notes, this is what I meant. *We'll be measuring in semitones. *This is the magnitude portion. *The second portion is dependant on the root note. *This is pretty easy once you've got it down, but remember this, everything is spelled alphabetically. *So if I wanted the 3rd note in the A Minor scale, even though you could say B#, you say C because it's alphabetical. *I asked for the 3rd note and C is three letters away from A. *In this way then, if I ask you for a 3rd from A, you automatically know it's going to be A something. *A sharp or flat or natural is determined by our half steps. *Let's take this very slowly and start on seconds.

The Second is going to be either one semi-tone or two semi-tones from the tonic.

The Minor Second is one half step from the tonic. *Let's use A again. *One half step from A is B flat. *Notice that B flat is the same as A sharp, however since A is the tonic, we need the next letter for the second note.

The Major Second is two half steps (or semitones) away from the tonic. *If we use A again, a Major Second is B. *

Try some on your own for practice
give me a minor second and major second from these
Bb
E
G
D
PRACTICE!! next time, Minor Thirds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 05:04 PM

Re: Lesson 9: *Intervals - We are now entering the tritone zone!

lesson 8....GOTCHA! it's lesson 9.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode