Lesson on Soloing/How to make up solos? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2003, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Lesson on Soloing/How to make up solos?

Hi there. I dont normally make up my own stuff, but recently i have been offered to join a band, and i feel i need to learn a bit more about how to improvise etc.

I have always been troubled when trying to turn a scale into a solo. As when im trying to make somthing up all i do is play the same pattern of notes, in the same order, which sounds not suprisingly ****.

I was wondering, could someone please post a lesson on solo construction? Or similar

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2003, 04:24 PM
Ash

practice. try making a tape with chord changes and solo over that. just remember that in order to solo correctly, you need to always know where you are, either because you memorized the notes of the scale, or by following your ear. try to hear a melody and let it come out in your playing, start slowly and you'll see what i'm talking about. the more you do it, the better you'll get. good luck!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2003, 08:32 PM

the only advice i can give, not knowing very much about this myself, is to really try sing along with the guitar in your head at the same time as you play....

no matter what you play your going to be executing some pattern or combination of smaller patterns that your brain has absorbed through years of playing. so the thing is to just try let em flow out... in the most musical way you can... let your mind create and hope your fingers keep up thats what i do anyway..... just play along to anything.. pop .. rock ... jazz..... rap.... classical.... sometimes i play the vocal line most of teh time i try invent new lines... just playing on the guitar what i sing in my head......

a great way to learn unusual patterns that sound 'organic' and improvised when you play them is to play along to pop music and try play the vocal line... or if your cray enough to do it... i once tried to read poetry with my guitar.... just read it in your head and try get the rythm of teh words on teh finger board.. even people speaking.. speach has a natural rhythm... if you get a few seconds of speach

... take my opening line for example has two commas in it.... if you say that to yourself get teh rhythm .... and then learn to play that rhythm on the guitar.... tehn you have with two short phrases and a long phrase... as a very basic idea ..... for teh first short phrase you can maybe play a scale up, teh second you can play around where you are and for the long phrase you can scale down ... if you put that over some chords it wouls sound pretty good and improvised....

anyway thats just what i do... and it works ... but im probably doenst work for everyone....
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2003, 08:33 PM

double posted due to slow isp and impatience ... sorry
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2003, 03:10 AM

Ok this is a very simple, dumbass way of doing it but it worked for me: try taking the main riff, transpose it up an octave (12 frets) and play around with the notes of the riff, while adding some new ones...

Although some people may disagree, i think the best way to start soloing is to learn some pentatonics and listen to a lot of blues...that's how i learned...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2003, 04:55 AM

for me i love to use more of the expression. some sort of like the feel.
u don;t need to be correct in what you play. what i mean is that what or how you want it to sound is more important than how or what scale.
you might even sometimes play a wierd phrasing which you think it's terrible but for a others it might be like 'WOW'..
the matter of your touch is also important as it emphasizes on harsh sounding notes or relaxed notes and even changes how you tone sounds!
hey, i;m also still learning this allright...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 05:47 AM

lol

All i can say is, practise your bends, make sure you bend in tune!! that way, when you hit the wrong note, and everyone goes...URRGH!! that sounded really off, you can sloooowwlly bend it into pitch, and then hit it with a harmonic, and then everyone will think 'koooool'

But not us guitarists. We'll know your blaggin it...

R.L.L

Tags
finger board

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode