Are Lessons worthwhile.. for me? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Are Lessons worthwhile.. for me?

Hey all... I'm back into the guitar scene again... played multiple hours a day for 4 years straight, took 3 years off, now am finished with school and back again... I feel like my chops are coming back, but i know theres still a lot I don't know, as i was always self taught. I'm wondering if you folks feel finding a good teacher would be worthwhile in my case, or if i'd simply be better off picking up a couple of books and going through them on my own?

Never had a teacher, and so just wondering how those of you who have (and haven't) feel about the topic?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 03:28 PM
ME.

Re: Are Lessons worthwhile.. for me?

Find a teacher. He'll help you answer questions you didn't even know you had.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 03:41 PM

A good teacher is always a great idea.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 04:42 PM

Another vote for a good teacher here, even if it's just for the theory. Makes it a lot easier.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 09:43 PM

Reviews: 2

I say spend $70 for the complete Metal Method course by Doug Marks. It is priceless, and
I am so thankful that I completed the course while in high school. Doug is a master teacher, and you can watch the DVD's over and over till you get it. You can even call or email him, and he is just a wonderful help. From the basics through the technical theory stuff, right in your own house.

Last edited by lynchfan6; 05-26-2009 at 10:39 PM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 12:11 AM

Get teachers, learn from them and then dump them and learn from other teachers. You can notice every teacher is different and unique in their own way.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 12:19 AM

Nothing beats 1 on 1 with an instructor.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2tom View Post
Get teachers, learn from them and then dump them and learn from other teachers. You can notice every teacher is different and unique in their own way.
I agree that every teacher is different and they'll help you plug the gaps in your knowledge, but correspondingly, each teacher will also leave gaps in what they teach you, so you'll maybe need to study with several different ones to get a fully rounded view of the guitar.

also don't rule out learning a completely different musical style to your normal one as this may give you a fresh take on things as a whole.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
also don't rule out learning a completely different musical style to your normal one as this may give you a fresh take on things as a whole.
Great point.

For example: I want to learn some Jazz; it could really help with use of modes and phrasing.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 11:40 AM

Randy Rhodes took lessons while on tour with Ozzy. He often wound up giving the lesson to the teacher, but the point is that he was always searching for a little more knowledge and insight. Even when he had "made it" by most standards.

I started with a teacher as a youth, and then went the self taught route. I'm about ready to find another teacher and fill some gaps after some 20 years of banging it out on my own.

If you know of gaps in your playing and understanding, find a teacher and express those needs. Nothing really beats one on one instruction.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 02:02 PM

Reviews: 21

I had my chops down and though I was the $%#@ until I met my last music teacher. He played bass but knew music and could play guitar way better than me. Meeting him was a humbling experience. I am eternally grateful to this person for teaching me MUSIC, not just about playing guitar.
A good teacher can have a life-long impact. Just be careful not to get some jerk who's just going to string you along for the cash flow. Lots of them these days....
And you never stop learning...
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Good insight guys Thanks! I'll be searching around for a good teacher.. not sure exactly how to go about finding one that's worthwhile though.. any tips?
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 07:40 PM

Personally for me the internet helped me learn tons more than my teacher. With a teacher it became too much like work and I lost enjoyment. Going on the internet I found so many lessons and information that it was a waste of time paying someone to give that knowledge that was free on the net. Some people just don't teach well and with the internet there so many ways of teaching that one method should click with you. You still have to practice your ass off but it makes it more fun and less like work.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 07:43 PM
Contributor

Reviews: 1

You also may want to shop around until you find a teacher you can "click" with - you'll get alot more out of them- and be more excited about learning.
Good luck!

~j
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 09:31 PM

Reviews: 4
Talking Re: Are Lessons worthwhile.. for me?

My last guitar teacher was Ron Jarzombek. Fantastic guitar player. If your not familiar with him, check his stuff with Spastic Ink or on youtube or his website www.ronjarzombek.com

Tags
lessons , teacher

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode