Lets talk Tommy Emmanuel - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Lets talk Tommy Emmanuel

Anyone listen to Tommy here? He's by far one of my favourite guitarists, Just wanted to tell everyone who never heard him to get some of his music, this guy totally redefines acoustic guitar, just a truly amazing player.

Here are some videos of him playing the woodsongs.com oldtime radio show:

http://webcast.msc.uky.edu/woodsongs-349.wmv (beautiful version of somewhere over the rainbow here)

http://webcast.msc.uky.edu/woodsongs-245.wmv

There is somthing in just sitting down with an acoustic, without anyone playing with you, and making such great music, somthing that electric guitar cant ever replace.

so, any acoustic guitar maniacs here?

Share some luv

Last edited by hanban; 07-17-2005 at 07:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 08:28 PM

Re: Lets talk Tommy Emmanuel

tommy is awesome. his brother phil is great, too.

i have a cd around here somewhere that showcases some aussie guitar talent. tommy and phil do a tune called (if i remember correctly) townhall rag. it's a lot of fun.

he's quite a showman in his own way. injects some fun into his playing. mind you, has a terrible sense of humour.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I've heared his brother Phill, Pretty good player, they also played the opening tune in the olympics (2000) together.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 11:36 AM

I will be seeing him here in Eindhoven next year, also I will attend a masterclass by Tommy

Tommy is great, I once posted a very nice video-interview with 'm in this section...I can't find it anymore...it also had a few performances in it.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 03:01 AM

I've seen Tommy play probably six or seven times, and met him a bunch of times too. He taught me to do harp harmonics and he listened to my demo when I was 15. He was very encouraging. I'm glad Tommy's getting wider recognition.

His electric stuff is kinda reminiscent of Eric Johnson in parts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 04:01 AM

i hav played with him before ....he is great..we had alittle guitar duel..lol....
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

It's cool you guys in australia get to meet and play with him, he seems very down to earth, i know he's doing those fingerpicking masterclasses all over the world these days, must be nice!

krizz: here's the file you posted once:

http://www.acousticplayermagazine.co...mmy_3_002.html

go down and click play video.
shep,, so who won?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 11:08 AM

it was 2 years ago and i was 16 at the time ..lol...yeah ..i had been playing for about 10 years at that time so i wasn't to bad...um..i think he went eazy ( very very eazy ) on me but everyone who watch it seem to like it and think good things....yeah..so that was my 15 seconds of fame..lol...after he said nothing but good things....
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 05:29 AM

Very highly recommend Tommy Emmanuel In Concert - Live At The Historic Sheldon Auditorium St. Louis, MO - brilliant playing and he's obviously having a blast - highly entertaining.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 12:09 AM

Resurrecting this thread. I just got back from watching him play here in Jacksonville. I had seen him live 10 years ago and he has not lost a beat. The man is the real deal. An awesome performer. As Steve Vai was quoted as saying, "Tommy is the greatest guitar player in the world."

Tommy does not inspire you to practice but rather makes you want to quit and take up pottery.

Tags
acoustic guitar , electric guitar , eric johnson , tommy emmanuel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

Stanley Jordan - Street Talk - Live at the Letterman show 88
tommy des whoo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode