Make my guitar gurgle - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2003, 04:35 AM Thread Starter

Make my guitar gurgle

I was wondering if anyone knows how to perform the gurgle technique. I know you use the tremelo and possibly a pinch harmonic? It sounds like you tap on the tremelo bar as you push it down or maybe let it up slowly with a strong vibrato. There are plenty of musical examples I could choose from. Vai uses them all the time. There is a good example in the first part of the solo in "Don't Tell Me You Love Me" by Night Ranger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2003, 10:59 AM

this is quite a common technique, and almost everyone with a whammy bar can do this little "trick" for the maximum effect, press the bar down, play a natural harmonic, and slowly depress or even pull up the bar to get a nice yell out of it good harmonics for this are the ones around the fifth fret. to really make it scream try harmonics around the 2nd and 3rd fret they require some practice tho Of course you can always do pinch harmonics too, but it wont allow you to press your bar down before... What you can do with PH's is swap hands, use your right hand to pinch over the pickups and your left hand to control the bar Sounds tricky ey? Satch uses it all the time, so be sure to check out his DVD
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2003, 06:22 PM

I think he means Vai's "purring cat/drowning frog" technique....for that, you just start at a low (1-3) fret, and slide to a high fret, all while depressing the bar....that way, you get the effect of sliding while keeping the actual pitch the same.....or you can do it the other way....depress the bar fully, start at a high fret, then slide to a low fret while allowing the bar to raise....I think that's what he means.

Just my two cents.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2003, 04:12 AM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot guys. I know how to execute screaming harmonics on the low frets quite well. I installed hot EMGs in my white PGM and it is very easy. I think I was asking about the Purring Cat technique. Thanks. I will try it out. I have heard this executed very fast on different notes in sequence. Can this be done over just a few frets?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2003, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

I finally got it. I sort of tap/press the bar at the same time as picking the note and I get the sound. Now I will work on the dive bombs that vibrate/gurgle. Heard alot in speed metal solos. Any tips for that?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2003, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouble311
I think he means Vai's "purring cat/drowning frog" technique....for that, you just start at a low (1-3) fret, and slide to a high fret, all while depressing the bar....that way, you get the effect of sliding while keeping the actual pitch the same.....or you can do it the other way....depress the bar fully, start at a high fret, then slide to a low fret while allowing the bar to raise....I think that's what he means.

Just my two cents.
Yeah, i think this is what he means. I've heard Satch do it too. I always called it a "lizard down the throat." You can hear it in Blue Powder well, right at 0:29. Vai frets the note and depresses the bar while sliding, keeping the same pitch, then lets the bar back up and holds the note.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2003, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

The first tech. I was talking about happens in "Blue Powder" at 4:02 and in "For the Love of God" at 3:06 and 3:34.

That reminds me, is there accurate tab for what steve does in FLOG at 4:08 to 4:16?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2003, 09:43 PM

I think you are referring to what we usually call 'flutter'

~K
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2003, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wblyheaded
That reminds me, is there accurate tab for what steve does in FLOG at 4:08 to 4:16?
Buy the book.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2003, 04:45 PM

Unless I missed it, I'm going to toss in my suggestion.

I call it a gurgle or a flutter..depends on who's doing it, how he's doing it and what it sounds like at the the time...but they're both the same to me.

There's a couple of ways to do this. One is playing a note or a series of notes and 'beating' on the body of the guitar near your trem. This causes it to 'flutter' and you get that sound. I don't care for this one as the actuall pounding on the guitar tends to echo through the pickups and the amp and eventually your head. The other way is to hit a note (pluck a harmonic on the 5th fret, b string (high b if you're on a Universe) and then start to pull up on the trem..when you pull it up, let it go quickly.

The hard part is to get this effect to happen when several notes are being played in succession. Takes practice, but if it's the effect you are looking for, you'll know if it's right.

I got inspired to learn how to do thisn when I heard a song by Forced Entry back in 91. Tempo was like 160 bpm and this guy would hit a three note progression, flutter, hit a a four note progression, flutter, three more notes, flutter. Each flutter was a different note but that whole rif repeated and each time sounded amazingly the same.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2003, 05:14 PM

This question comes up far too often, perhaps someone could write out a nice explanation of both techs with the most common name for each and make it sticky in this forum.

Steve
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2003, 09:10 AM

Agreed. I was asking fo the same thing about a week ago (I think ). Now I'm getting all confused again.

Tags
pinch harmonics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode