malice mizer - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

malice mizer

I've always been fascinated by japan, and heard about this band on the travel channel when they did a documentary on japan.

is it any cool? goth, as far as i could understand...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 08:13 AM

Re: malice mizer

Hi, I'm now living in Japan and I must say Malice Mizer was certainly a component of the culture that attracted me here. They look awesome I think, the way an alien rock band should look. They were one of the most influential bands in terms of creating the Visual Kei imagery, the gothic lolita style of dressing and the warped androgyny. But!

Their music is "blah".

Oh what a shame, it would've been so nice if they could shred, but I'm sure they were all so busy applying their mascara that they didn't have time to practice their pentatonics. They are very much like the dozens of J-Rock bands that followed them, in that they are as likely to do a rock number as a synthy pop Brittney piece and then a cringeworthy ballad. Ugh!

I wouldn't classify them musically as Goth, although the look is there. As much as I adore Steve Vai's music, I love the fact that he looks like a hyper rock star too. It's the whole package and it works beautifully. Of course, I love Satch's more laidback coolness, but Malice is lacking in a vital department: the music.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

thanks!

do you have any japanese bands you could recommend?

the only japanese discs i have are some ruins and casiopea records....
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 07:56 AM

Dude, I can honestly say a big fat "NO!", in terms of recommendations. I had been listening to MTV Japan for the first month or so that I was here and the one good thing about them is that they play all styles of music, not just chart pop crap. But really - everything is just bland. Japanese hip hop was particularly grim.

I will say that Gackt, ex lead singer of Malice Mizer, is certainly fascinating, if only because he is more alien than Steve Vai. I have actually enjoyed a few of his pieces, but having five men dressed up as Hello Kitty characters, and dancing on stage with him at one of his concerts hurt my head. The next song he did was a sensitive ballad, and the next was dark gothic metal. Eclectic is one thing, borderling schizophrenic is another! My good friend Sarah put up an interesting movie of him here:

http://www.glasscicada.com/gackt.htm

Enjoy, but don't blame me for any stress induced.

Cheers.

Tags
steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode