Malmsteen techniques - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Malmsteen techniques

Well i caught the Yngwie bug, i used to hate listening to his songs but i bought a compilation cd of his songs and i haven't stopped listening to it.

Is there a good website that shows some of his techniques and how he uses them within his playing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 06:47 AM

Re: Malmsteen techniques

Play his music then
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2tom
Play his music then
What a rediculous/stupid comment!

Anyway, back to the question. I have had the Yngwie bug for about 2/3 years now. And it still hasnt gone away! I love my USA Fender Yngwie Strat to bits - the best guitar I have ever played.

As for his techniques - alternate picking mainly 99% of the time. People keep saying that he "sweep picks", but he hardly ever does! He alternate picks everything he can. He sometimes sweeps long arpeggios though.

Apart from that, just learn his scales. Phrygian and Harmonic Minor. That IS the Yngwie sound. Those scales are it.

Also, defenitely learn Pedalling. Thats what Yngwie usues 50% of the time too. Just repeated phrases or tones of little licks. Again, played in the Phrygian or Harmonic Minor modes/scales.

And lastly.....learn some of the riffs from his songs. They have made my playing come on leaps and bounds. Playing the riffs and licks from Black Star, Rising Force, I'll See The Light Tonight......
post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.godfather
What a rediculous/stupid comment!

Anyway, back to the question. I have had the Yngwie bug for about 2/3 years now. And it still hasnt gone away! I love my USA Fender Yngwie Strat to bits - the best guitar I have ever played.

As for his techniques - alternate picking mainly 99% of the time. People keep saying that he "sweep picks", but he hardly ever does! He alternate picks everything he can. He sometimes sweeps long arpeggios though.

Apart from that, just learn his scales. Phrygian and Harmonic Minor. That IS the Yngwie sound. Those scales are it.

Also, defenitely learn Pedalling. Thats what Yngwie usues 50% of the time too. Just repeated phrases or tones of little licks. Again, played in the Phrygian or Harmonic Minor modes/scales.

And lastly.....learn some of the riffs from his songs. They have made my playing come on leaps and bounds. Playing the riffs and licks from Black Star, Rising Force, I'll See The Light Tonight......

Check out his webpage there are quite few tabs to his songs. I've had my Malmsteen bug for more than 10 years now .

Regards

Andrť

post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 07:28 AM

"Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2tom
Play his music then

What a rediculous/stupid comment!"

BWHAHAHAHAHahahahah!!! Be nice mate. hahahaha

Anyways, here's a url where you can find a couple of licks which yngwie uses.
(make sure you have your pop-up blockers on before hitting it)

http://www.intimateaudio.com/psycho_...malmsteen.html

Fong
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, i chose to ignore the first comment.

I've learnt the Phrygian mode and harmonic minor, when improvising stuff it does sound pretty close to what he would play. I'm mainly trying to focus on his pedalling. What i need is something that goes into detail about it abit more.

P.s, i've also strung up my strat again after not playing it for months ("properly" about a year). Fallen in love with it again even though it doesn't play as well as my RG. Bigger frets would probably help that and a good set up. So i've started to learn "Judas" which i thought would be a good idea because of how he uses arpeggios within the verse of the song. Very tunefull.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 08:47 AM

As already mentioned Yngwie uses the Harmonic minor scale as well as the Phrygian and Aeolian minor modes.

I don't think it's ridiculous to suggest playing his music, this way you can use your own technique and play it your own way instead of his.

Yngwie uses pedal tones too, where you basically play a phrase but alternate between one specific note and a totally different note. eg -

E|-17-15-17-13-17-12-17-----17-----17----
B|------------------------15-----13-----12-

As you can see we always go back to the A on the high E after we play a different note, it alternates. You can hear this in many of Bach's numbers and other classical music.

As for techniques, he sweeps all the 3 string arpeggio stuff, and he alternate picks the licks which are on the same string (obviously) but when it comes to those trademark runs he will usually economy pick.

Generally Yngwie's solos are very repetitive, he is just using the same licks now as he has done since this debut album, even before that when he was in Steeler and Alcatrazz, he is still great to listen to.

Last edited by Adagio_777; 11-27-2005 at 08:57 AM.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Can i have your brain andy so i can try and soak up the theory knowledge and music ability? haha
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 08:56 AM

Heh, I really have no theory knowledge at all man. I have just listened to him for a few years and just watched a bunch of his instructional videos.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

I heard that his video's were quite crap? that he didn't go into detail enough and played way too fast to see what he was doing. Is that true?
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 09:10 AM

Yeah, very true. He will play an example and then say "now I will play it at a slow speed" and it will be played slightly slower than the original tempo, haha. You can still see how he plays by watching, but you're right, he doesn't spend too much time describing what he is actually doing.

I think a very important aspect of Yngwie's playing is his wide vibrato which is always intonated with perfection, probably because he has perfect pitch.

Here are a couple of vids for you -

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...56805&q=yngwie

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...72789&q=yngwie

This is an example from his REH video -

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...56140&q=yngwie
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 09:26 AM

Joe Stump also released an instructional video, he is basically like Yngwie but without the bad attitude, no seriosly, he shares exercises and advices to get that Yngwie sound
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

I think Joe Stump is a malmsteen clone. Very similar tone, similar set up, similar dress sense and very similar songs. Chris Impelliteri sounds a hell of a lot like Malmsteen too.
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 03:43 PM

There's also George Bellas, check out his site at http://www.georgebellas.com/

He has a couple "yngwielish" lesson.
hmmm..i just went there, seems like his lessons now cost money.. but you can still check out his videos.

Fong

Last edited by Chameleonfong; 11-27-2005 at 08:28 PM.
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chameleonfong
There's also George Bellas, check out his site at http://www.georgebellas.com/

He has a couple "yngwielish" lesson.
hmmm..i just when there, seems like his lessons now cost money.. but you can still check out his videos.

Fong
George is one mean sweep picker .

Regards

Andrť

Tags
alternate picking , eric clapton , harmonic minor scale , joe stump , legato technique , neck position , picking technique , sweep picking , yngwie strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode