May guitar challenge track?? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

May guitar challenge track??

Any backing track suggestions for the May guitar challenge?? What do you guys want to do for this month?

Feel free to post ideas or links!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 11:42 AM

Re: May guitar challenge track??

I know we can't take this one exactly, but I think track in this fashion would be great:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFQoOHJCec4

Suggesting something in Phrygian or Mixolydian, with couple percussion or ethnic instruments and eastern/exotic feel. Tried to search but haven't found so far...

Also, sorry you didn't upload your funk jam, FireEagle! Maybe you can still do it before the next one?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianblack8 View Post
I know we can't take this one exactly, but I think track in this fashion would be great:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFQoOHJCec4

Suggesting something in Phrygian or Mixolydian, with couple percussion or ethnic instruments and eastern/exotic feel. Tried to search but haven't found so far...

Also, sorry you didn't upload your funk jam, FireEagle! Maybe you can still do it before the next one?
I dig that song... great backing track too! Search around youtube and post up some tracks that you guys think might be good for this month. I'll try to dig up some various tracks too...

Rock D Mixolydian - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qarfXLsgeJ4
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 06:37 PM

That one sounds pretty good already.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Trying to find some more... Hard to find much in mixolydian and phyrgian! Any help finding a track would be much appreciated...

Here is an A Dorian one that Drew suggested a while back, pretty tasty...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMAtiE95JPM

This one is kind of fun... E Phyrgian...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-DGXdAbuGo
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianblack8 View Post
That one sounds pretty good already.
I liked it too... Seems like a decent sounding track and open enough to jam over.

Oh, I thought you did a great job improvising on last month's track. If I had been able to get anything cohesive together I would have submitted it. After watching those that you and the others submitted.. you guys made it look easy!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 09:43 PM

I am ok with the Rock D Mix one. Just been letting the backing tracks go on youtube and just playing along with whatever is next.

I is good with any of them.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 07:30 AM

The Rock / Metal Backing Track (E-) seems, good I think.

Hmm, also I stumbled upon this one and it has some interesting stuff going in progressions Maybe too harsh to jam over, though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_NI20UKeok

Last edited by ianblack8; 05-06-2015 at 07:40 AM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 08:08 AM

I like the Eb mixolydian one. It is a bit too long, but we can always cut it down and do our improv for however long we feel like. It is almost exactly the same the whole way through, in any case.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 11:00 AM

Yea, we can take it, hopefully Joey won't sue us or something, haha.

Also, this one is weird, but here's another one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-ymCH0ncZ8
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Might be hard to use Satch's track... all I can hear is "The Golden Room"! I do like the track though, very open and interesting. Joe doesn't allow use of his music as backing tracks for some reason, I know they had to take them off of guitarbackingtrack.com (luckily I downloaded a bunch). I think it's ok if you make your own copy of his, as long as it's not actually his.

Thanks for all the suggestions... hopefully we'll get some feedback on here regarding them. Might be a good idea not to get too "weird" this month though... Just to get more participation. I can't say much though, since I didn't do one last month...

So far the D Mixolydian has some support... and the Satriani track you posted too.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 01:41 PM

I'm surprised Joe doesn't let people do that... I like that Vai actually produces "naked" tracks for our use. With those artists having a consumer base who actually try to play their songs, you'd have thought backing tracks would have been welcomed /shrug
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 03:33 PM

It might be due to publishers and copyright owners, I think, not Joe personally... since he's being published by Epic and major labels like that, and Vai operates kind of on his own and (it seems) owns most of rights on his music.
edit: apparently, most of his albums (I previously thought only a couple) were published by Epic as well. Then it's really strange.

Anyways, as of backing track, I still like the D Mixolydian idea, we should decide tomorrow I guess (maybe some other track will surface).

Last edited by ianblack8; 05-06-2015 at 03:39 PM.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_Shaft View Post
I'm surprised Joe doesn't let people do that... I like that Vai actually produces "naked" tracks for our use. With those artists having a consumer base who actually try to play their songs, you'd have thought backing tracks would have been welcomed /shrug
I agree... especially an instrumental artist. I could be making assumptions, but when I inquired on the guitarbackingtrack.com forum as to where the Satriani backing tracks went, I was told that he (or more likely publishers or copyright owners as ianblack8 mentioned) requested that they be removed... or else. Joe is so easy going I can't picture him being that way about his music. He even shows you how to play his songs, etc...

Quote:
Anyways, as of backing track, I still like the D Mixolydian idea, we should decide tomorrow I guess (maybe some other track will surface).
We can look around a bit more, but I'd also like to pick one soon. I have a new candy apple red toy coming tomorrow that I'd like to put to good use! (Satch related as well...) I challenged myself to do a single take video entry on the guitar challenge, if I can get the merging video/audio part figured out. You guys are great inspiration!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
I dig that song... great backing track too! Search around youtube and post up some tracks that you guys think might be good for this month. I'll try to dig up some various tracks too...

Rock D Mixolydian - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qarfXLsgeJ4
+1 This one's cool. You have good taste!

Tags
jemsite guitar challenge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode