metal is dead....... - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-04-2003, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Suspension: Multiple Users

metal is dead.......

Heard something to day and it was like wow! I was talking about shredding and what not and this dude was like no I cant do that because I dot want to do that cause shredding and speed metal is dead. He canít play it so he had to come up with an excuse. Personally to me a genre of music isnít dead until nobody feels it within them selves. I love metal. Just wish I was older and knew of more groups who play metal? I know of Nevermore and Soilwork but who else is out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 12:12 AM

Re: metal is dead.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyW
.....so who plays metal of today?
I do.
Nice to see another with roots in Houston, too.
Born & raised, but then I jumped ship.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 12:52 AM

I don't really subscribe to the theory that any music is dead...it just acts like a sponge and soaks up other elements that may seem unrelated. Even though disco is officially dead to most of us, it's alive and well in elements of people like Wayne Static (Static X) and any Euro club will have the occasional hit. Hell even rap (ahem) "artists" sample disco tunes on occasion.
Metal itself doesn't really feel dead to me. I catch myself acting like my dad on this subject, because he always said "There'll never be another White Album/Abbey Road/Sgt. Pepper/ yada-yada-yada,whatever". The other day, I was listening to System of A Down, which has alot of the same elements of my old metal stuff, and a kid asked what I thought of it. Like my father when I was a kid, I said "There'll never be another Peace Sells, or Master of Puppets, etc..."
But those elements are out there still...they are in the influences of what's heavy today. Maybe watered down considerably, but they're there...
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 08:33 AM

Re: metal is dead.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyW
i heard something to day and it was like wow!....i was talking about shreding and what not and this dude was like no i cant do that cuz i dont want to do that cuz shredding and speed metal is dead......i think its a cop out....he cant play it so he had to come up with an excuse....personally to me a genre of music isnt dead untill nobody feels it within them selfs....i love metal....just wish i were older and new of more groups.....so who plays metal of today? i know of nevermore and soilwork but who else...
I don't know about metal, but writing an intelligible, well-written paragraph certainly seems to be dead.

~K
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 09:11 AM

kennydoe , aka mr negative ?
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 09:48 AM

I don't think metal is dead per se...

I think the popular press it used to get has gone away and is being percieved as dead. Alot of the excess that got lumped on in the 70's and 80's is going away and with that people tend to associate the bathwater with the baby.

But I will say that shred is dead....or at least shredding for the sake of shredding is just about gone...which is fine with me. I've always loathed acrobatics simply for the sake of them being acrobatics; if there isn't an interesting framework underneath it then there's no sense in it making a sound anyway. Which is why I always dug Vai; even without the solo there was "something" there. Something made sense and made you perk up your ears even before you got to a verse; it compelled you to keep listening and pay attention. A killer solo was just icing on the cake.

Songs can exist without a solo....but a solo shouldn't exist without a song.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 09:48 AM

As long as I and so many others are alive, metal will not be dead .
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 10:04 AM
ns9

Hi!
Actually, I like that metal isnt in the spotlight, at least not the type I like. Anytime a genre of music gets "in the spotlight," it opens the door for tons of people to imitate it simply to make money, record companies search for people to mold, and the resulting flood makes it difficult to find good stuff, simply because of the number of acts and albums one has to weed thru.

Metal is hard to really define, because any group of people may see one band as metal, while another says, "Them metal? You have got ot be kidding me!"

Current cd's I am into most are the new King Diamond, and all of Evergrey's cd's. Symphony X gets in there as well.
Nikki K
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 11:04 AM

Reviews: 3
It's not that the audience is shrinking, they are just getting more selective.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns9
Hi!
Actually, I like that metal isnt in the spotlight, at least not the type I like. Anytime a genre of music gets "in the spotlight," it opens the door for tons of people to imitate it simply to make money, record companies search for people to mold, and the resulting flood makes it difficult to find good stuff, simply because of the number of acts and albums one has to weed thru.
I agree, how many rock bands now sound like Staind? Then advertisers and everyone else in the media jumps on the bandwagon and starts using that type of music to promote things; to the point to where it's shoved in your face everywhere you go and people get tired of hearing it.

That's what's going on with hip-hop/rap right now. Everyone and thier geriatric grandmother is getting signed to labels, regardless of whether or not they have any talent. They even use hip-hop in commercials for peanut butter.

From what I remember, 80's metal never got that far. I don't recall anyone dressing up a kid in pink spandex, with a massive wig of teased (and subsequently fried hair), holding a paint splattered guitar, pretending to do EVH-style tapping runs with a tagline like "Dude, Eat Skippy: It's The Peanut Butter That Shreds Your Tastebuds."

More to the point: metal's not dead; most of it just went overseas. There are a ton of metal and metal influenced bands that come out of Europe or American bands that find more success in places other than the U.S simply because from what I've seen, in my opinion, is that other places aren't so set in trends like we are in America and people are much more likely to listen to what they like, rather than what's pushed at them.

Some of the metal bands I currently listen to are: Children Of Bodom, Arch Enemy, Symphony X, Adagio, Blind Guardian, Dark Tranquillity, Nightwish (heavy guitars with operatic female vocals. Odd, yet it somehow manages to work), and Opeth.

-Waylander
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 06:52 PM

As a child I longed to play metal and do speed solos. I've accomplished my dream, and it delights my soul to play it. If it were a person, I'd shake Metal's hand.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 07:51 PM

true metal is now underground and actually I'm glad that it is. I'm all about scandinavian black and death
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 08:23 PM

Frankly I could care less what the general public thinks of metal or any other type of music that I may play. They are not paying me to play it, so I play what I like. It may be dead to them but it's still alive and coursing through my veins. Also quite frequently emanating out into the world from my garage!!
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Suspension: Multiple Users

Well all guys are right metal isnít dead its just not out in the open for everyone to copy and think there cool doing it!
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 04:39 AM

Was this a test?

Tags
king diamond

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode