Metallica - Earls Court, Sat 20th - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Metallica - Earls Court, Sat 20th

Hiya Guys,

Dunno if many of you are fans of them here. But I am going to see them live at Earls Court on Saturday. Looking forward to it, apart from the travelling!!

But once I get there it should be okay.
Havent seen them before, should be good. Godsmack are the warmup band also.

Got any tips bout these type of gigs. Never been to one like this before. Might sound stupid but....

Anyway, will let you know what its like on sunday!
Gary - The.Godfather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Ah bugger, just saw that there is a thread already started about this lower down.

But not many spoke in it. Hopefully they will in this!
Gary - The.Godfather
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 07:16 PM

I had planned to go to the gig after Lars announced it at the end of the Reading Festival set.
Then I saw the ticket price and felt that I wouldn't be disapointed if I missed the gig.

It's all seating right? So no need for advice like "watch out for that flailing limb coming towards your face". That said at Reading it seemed REALLY tame.

It's Metallica, it's london, it's a saturday night, it's earls court, t shirts, food, snacks, and anything else there is gonna be dead expensive, plan your eating ahead and bring some water with you.

Should be a good gig, when I saw them they played mainly old stuff (not sure what material of theirs you like, but I prefer the older stuff + a couple of tracks from post black album era) and only two songs from St.Anger (St.Anger and Frantic).

Enjoy yourself
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 06:09 AM

haha.. tell me about it..

when i saw metallica 3 years ago, there was this hotdog&drink stand opened after the show has ended. this guy was selling a can of coke for 4.5 bucks (a can! not even a 1.5 litre bottle). hell, some folx buy the 'real' coke for less!

some ppl have no shame
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Yeah it is all seating apart from a very little standing area in the middle. But the rest is all seating. Plus we booked out tickets very very early.
So hopefully the seats wont be too bad.

And yeah according to the reviews, they only play 2 songs off the new album (unamed feeling & st anger).

But I much prefer the older stuff. They start off with Battery on this tour. And they mainly play MOP and Black Album stuff. At the end of the day, thats all people wana hear! They dont wana hear that new s**t.

Hopefully, the travelling and that wont be too bad. Once I am there it will be cool.
Gary - The.Godfather
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 02:27 PM

Yeah when I saw them it was mainly puppets and ..justice tracks.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Well, I am off now to go and see them. Lets hope its all good and everything goes okay!
Gary - The.Godfather
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 12:17 PM

And of course, Godsmack is always an amazing show. Was lucky enough to see them when they came through London w/ Alexisonfire and Mushroomhead opening, man was that a great show, especially since I was right up front-row-center.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2003, 05:12 AM Thread Starter

Well, not many words can describe how good they were. I know alot of people dont like them on here.....but damn they were amazing!!

Godsmack werent too bad, but they knew what they were there to do. To be a warmup. And they were OK.

There are just too many good points to mention. The lighters came out as usual on Nothing Else Matters. Millions of lighters, amazing.
Plus James didnt have to sing Master Of Puppets or Sandman.....because the crowd sung it for him!!

As well as all this there was Lars throwing guitars at Kirk, Kirk having ago on the drums, Kirk playing with Lars drumstick instead of a pick! Lars playing guitar!

It was a brilliant set all round, with good song choice and only 2 from St Anger which were Dirty Window and Frantic. The rest were all the faves.
It was interesting to see they also played tracks like Blitzkrieg and Creeping Death also.

It was brilliant!
Gary - The.Godfather
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2003, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.godfather
As well as all this there was Lars throwing guitars at Kirk, Kirk having ago on the drums, Kirk playing with Lars drumstick instead of a pick! Lars playing guitar!

Gary - The.Godfather
They did this at reading, lars threw his sticks and kirk threw his relic to each other at the same time, the second time they did it lars seriously almost dropped the guitar, and this is a strong throw from over 7 feet away.
Lars and kirk also swapped instruments and announced their new band "the black stripes" "we are a TRIBUTE to the white stripes not a piss take". This was because jack white broke his hand, and they cancelled reading, and lars is apparently a big fan so this happened. They started playing nothing else matters, and sure as hell it sucked :P
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2003, 05:22 PM

clowns , and sh*t musicians imo
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2003, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.godfather
It was a brilliant set all round, with good song choice and only 2 from St Anger which were Dirty Window and Frantic. The rest were all the faves.
It was interesting to see they also played tracks like Blitzkrieg and Creeping Death also.

It was brilliant!
Gary - The.Godfather
That's because they know the old stuff is 10,000 times stronger than the '90s and newer crap! At least they still kick live........I was really impressed to hear they are playing Hit the Lights again.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2003, 11:35 PM

I don't get why people bash the new CD so much. It was an experiment, which they're still happy they did, and even they realize that it's not an amazing CD since they don't play many of the songs live (rather than some bands that play almost exclusively songs from their most recent albums). Everything they've put out was what they wanted to do. If a band can't grow and change and experiment, then what's the point of sticking around and writing the same songs for the 13th time?

Tags
playing guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode