more lessons PLEEEEEEEEEEZ!!!!!!! - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

more lessons PLEEEEEEEEEEZ!!!!!!!

I want more lessons!!

Jem7vwh hellllllllllllllllllllppppppppppppppp

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 11:40 AM

I agree. I don't know if we would get into legality issues, but maybe if jem7vwh took a song and broke it up into parts and did a few lessons on that. Perhaps take FTLOG and break it up into sections. That would be cool.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 04:43 PM

Reviews: 5
To be honest- I've kinda lost my fire for doing this stuff because I got a lot of feedback saying "the lessons are good" but I couldn't get any vote on songs people wanted to hear.

At one point, I put out a poll that just said, which song do you want to learn?

- EVH - "Beat It" solo
- Steve Vai "Hina"
- Steve Vai "Juice"
- Joe Satriani "Always With Me..."

etc.

and the answer I got mostly was "so and so is easy... i don't need a lesson on that."

I'll be happy to try and break a song into pieces as a teaching aid. What I don't want to do is try to wade through a wank-fest to teach ya'll 64th note septuplets. So basically- name your song- except Dream Theater or other wanking.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 07:00 PM

What I was thinking is I guess what you've said you don't want to do. If we take a song and say there is a complex technique involved, maybe you could explain that. Oh well, it was an idea.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7vwh
To be honest- I've kinda lost my fire for doing this stuff because I got a lot of feedback saying "the lessons are good" but I couldn't get any vote on songs people wanted to hear.
Keep up the good work man, I think the lessons are well thought out and presented. If your ever gonna do songs or parts of songs, the "solo" section of FTLOG has always given me problems, so that one would be cool.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 01:21 AM

[/quote]
If your ever gonna do songs or parts of songs, the "solo" section of FTLOG has always given me problems, so that one would be cool.[/quote]

It has me too. Maybe jem7, you could do a lesson on the solo of FTLOG.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2003, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Yeah ok well flying in a blue dream has always troubled me, i got everything till he actually starts to solo, maybe its cos my legato is a bit scratchy but i find some parts of it hard

any suggestions?
thanks
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2003, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7vwh

At one point, I put out a poll that just said, which song do you want to learn?

- EVH - "Beat It" solo
- Steve Vai "Hina"
- Steve Vai "Juice"
- Joe Satriani "Always With Me..."

etc.

and the answer I got mostly was "so and so is easy... i don't need a lesson on that."

I'll be happy to try and break a song into pieces as a teaching aid. What I don't want to do is try to wade through a wank-fest to teach ya'll 64th note septuplets. So basically- name your song- except Dream Theater or other wanking.
I'd recommend the intro section to Answers... the chords are easy as hell, but playing them in rhythm is nearly impossible! I think that would be a good one.

Also, when I went through them, I noticed that often when you discussed soloing, you used the I-IV-V quite a bit. How about a lesson on how to solo over other chord progs?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 10:35 AM

Reviews: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeithc82
What I was thinking is I guess what you've said you don't want to do. If we take a song and say there is a complex technique involved, maybe you could explain that. Oh well, it was an idea.
well- I don't mind complexity, I mind blandness. I have no problems explaining, tutoring, or otherwise flapping my gums about good music, I just don't want to cover Dream Theater or other mindless wanking. I've got a few songs that cover some great techniques in mind.

What about these songs?

White Lion - "Wait" - awesome solo here
Van Halen - Pretty much everything on the 1984 album
Vai - Ladies Night in Buffalo

There's been a bit of mention of FTLOG, to be honest, I've never learned it because it's not my favorite by far. I think Vai's done far more interesting stuff, but if that becomes a common request, I'll learn it and teach it.

What other songs?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 10:58 AM

The "Wait" solo would be a great choice. The amount of melody in there and the fact that it's virtually all tapped has always amazed me. I'd love to see an analysis of it.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

if your gonna do FTLOG then could ya gimme sum tips on pulling off the really fast burst cos i just duno where to start
thanks
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 03:30 PM

Hey, i happen to like DT.

How's this for a tune to analyze- Joe Satriani's "Friends"? There's some cool chromatic and bluesy arpeggio based lines in there that would make for an interesting exploration.

Hell, if you don't do it, i might, if i can just get far enough ahead on this thesis to give myself some leeway...

..or i could just spend about 10 minutes a day typing stuff up on it... That might be better. I'll take a look at the tab again and start to plan out a means of approach, if anyone's interested...

And while i'm not jem7vwh, i'm a theory minor up here at Middlebury, so i kinda know what i'm talking about...

-Drew
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 07:33 PM

Wait - White Lion

you better start with the song "wait (white lion)" because this is a simple solo i think... but that is great. when u wanna start 'sifu' JEM?

Tags
joe satriani , steve vai , van halen , white lion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode