More playing. - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 02:55 AM Thread Starter

More playing.

Everyone that talks with me knows I'm laid up with this arm. No playing until some time in November.
These are a couple of practice recordings I made. Mostly just goofing around.
As always; be gentle but firm with your criticism, please.

http://1drv.ms/Zu6Xhj

http://1drv.ms/1rL6hyk

I'm not sure what guitars I played on each.
The amp is my VOX VT30.
I used the built in presets for the solo (with delay) sound and the standard, no delay, preset that has a little more mid range. Gives a thicker sound, and the solo with the delay seems to make it 'sing' more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 08:39 AM

Re: More playing.

Nice tones, I'm a big fan of mid's unlike some. Wouldn't mess with that as it has some EVH punch to it. You can clearly play very well, just needs some context for me - bass, drums etc. But you know that. Use that one good hand to get surfing for some loops... :-)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 10:22 AM

Cool... Hope your arm is healing nicely. How many weeks has it been already?

Cat Scratch Fever is a fun one to play... thats one I jam when the family is out of the house and I can crank it up. I was bummed that you didn't do the solo though! ;-)

Delay and a little reverb... two effects that I use at all times. Especially for lead stuff.

Hang in there Meechy!
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 04:53 PM

Reviews: 6

Great playing and sound. I seriously take my hat off to anyone who can get a great sound out of a mic and amp. Everytime I tried I ended up with a sound akin to a cat farting on a stormy night. I'm also totally schizophrenic about amps, one day I love the sound of a marshall, next day I hate it, in the end I went digital and simulate everything, it still sounds terrible, but I am comforted by the ability to chop and change.

Best of luck with that arm... what did the quack say? Light exercise or do nothing?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Acer laptop microphone placed about 3' from the amp. LOL
Thanks, but honestly' it sounds much better in the room.
Someday I'll buy a good microphone, but right now stuff for the house, and the house itself, is more important.
Thanks for the compliment on my playing as well.
Well, doc said we'll have to go by how it feels and what mobility I have when the cast comes off. Said guitar would be good therapy, but still says, if therapy is needed, he'll still want me to go to a therapist. (Insert psychiatrist joke here)
It's the torn tendons that are the main concern. But we'll see what goes from here. The cast won't be off until the first week of November. He said since my bones are so small, and fragile, he doesn't want to go for 6 weeks so 8 it is.
Apparently I'm a bit calcium deficient too, even though I drink a quart of milk every two days, between the cereal and cookies I have just about every day.
Aside from not playing guitar, I can barely work out too. Doing some walking, when I'm not stoned from the pain killers (but that's less and less as time goes on, so that's good) but I like to try to get at least three days a week at the gym, cardio, a little light lifting, you know the routine. Not that I'm a fitness junkie, but I like to try to keep in shape.
Rich can vouch for that. (Only person I've sent a picture.) LOL
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

God, just realized how vain that last sentence sounded....but I'm going to leave it there since it's funny too.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2014, 01:34 AM

Reviews: 6

That's great news. I think your guitar playing will be fine, but don't get frustrated when you get back into it, take baby steps and don't beat yourself up or allow negativity to creep in because you're not where you were at. I was in Taiwan for a month and a bit last summer, didn't touch a guitar for weeks on end and had serious withdrawl symptoms, tried visiting some of the best music stores I've ever been to, but the guys were just too keen to have me try instruments and every time I touched one all eyes were on, it's sort of like when someone Asian looking arrives in a martial arts place white people think they are going to be the dogs bollocks, I can never function in a music shop environment at the best of times so that was just hell. When I returned my playing had taken a severe nose dive and was frustrating to say the least.

I once did most of the tendons in the lower leg and it took months to get back to full joint range, you'll probably see that your affected wrist looks thicker than the other one, that may be permanent, but I think your wrist mobility rather than your finger mobility will suffer for a while. When you get back to playing do it in 10 minute busts with 15 minute breaks in between, you'll notice by your third 10 minutes that you will feel much more like your old self. You go to the gym (wish I could - gyms just make me feel like a hamster surrounded by narcissists - I run, walk, punchbag, spar - I have tried to love gyms, but when I see beefcakes adoring themselves in mirrors I just want to take a pin to them) It's sort of like warming up, recovery, something intense, recovery, after each recovery most people feel stronger until they start to fatigue too much and then it's time to warm down and call it a day.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2014, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

I've been hurt before. I know the drill, but it's all good advice. I've actually played my guitar until I've stiffened up. Learned my lesson about over doing it with just that.
I'll likely be more prone to tendinitis after this, so I'll be extra careful when I do get back into it.
This may sound a little vain, but I actually kind of enjoy it when I catch people looking at me in the gym. Means I'm doing something right!
Just kidding.
I'm as shy there as I am just about anywhere. I wear baggy sweats and always shower at home. (Besides, God only knows what those other girls are carrying. ) You'll never catch me in yoga pants, even though I have taken a few yoga classes, I just don't think I have the body to pull that look off.
And now I see it already, "No pictures - didn't happen!" LOL
I agree about the 'mirror flowers' though. If you have to spend an hour in front of the mirror posing for yourself, I think you need to get a life.
I was juggling school and work, and when I went to the gym I just had time to work out. Ogling myself in the mirror, even if I were an egocentric, narcissistic little Barbie, wasn't going to happen since I didn't have the time anyway.
Now it's work and, well, I'm one of those 'pain in the ass' girls that's never happy with where the couch is. "A little more to the left......a little more....oh wait! How about over on that wall instead?" So we're still getting everything 'just so' with the house.
I tell you; if looks and exasperated sighs could kill. LOL
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 12:11 AM

Reviews: 2

Dammit.............. another younger (and prettier) Jemsiter that blows me out of the water.

Nicely done Meech, I can tell when your in your "comfort zone" and when your not. Dump the "Cat Scratch" crap and keep noodling. Your "messing around" MP3 sounded much better than anything else. I really liked some of your runs..... they sounded like you were really comfortable playing through them. Almost like second nature.........

Put the couch in the kitchen and start dancing with your man in it's place....... your young- enjoy it all you can.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 12:11 AM

Reviews: 2

Dammit.............. another younger (and prettier) Jemsiter that blows me out of the water.

Nicely done Meech, I can tell when your in your "comfort zone" and when your not. Dump the "Cat Scratch" crap and keep noodling. Your "messing around" MP3 sounded much better than anything else. I really liked some of your runs..... they sounded like you were really comfortable playing through them. Almost like second nature.........

Put the couch in the kitchen and start dancing with your man in it's place....... your young- enjoy it all you can.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2014, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

LOL Thanks.
Prettier? Don't know about that, you might be a very pretty man for all I know.
Isn't it usually the case when you're just 'wanking' that it sounds more natural and comfortable?
When I'm playing a structured song, I tend to stiffen up, not wanting to make a mistake, and inevitably, end up sounding stiff.
When I just pick up and play whatever my fingers feel like playing, even to my ears, it flows better.
I guess that's why Jeff never bothered to learn any songs 'note-for-note'. He knows the changes and just works from there. I find that more to my liking too. For one; it's less work, and two, I think more of 'me' (or you, or whomever) comes through that way.
If I wanted to play just like Joe Satriani, I'd work on that, night and day, but I don't (most like; can't anyway).
I want to play like 'me'. Just me, only me. Everyone else be damned.
What I'm saying is, thank you for thinking that I sound better when I'm just trying to be me, that's what I want.
As for the couch; it's now nailed upside-down to the ceiling. We're going to sit on milk crates with newspaper for cushions.
I think after moving the damned sofa so many times, Jeff would be happy with that. LOL
In my defense; before I broke my arm I moved just as much, if not more, than he did.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode