A Musical Education - Page 2 - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Re: A Musical Education

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Knowing a Cb is not a B is complicated, knowing why is even more so! I'm sure that there are loads of songs that were written regarding "that note" as the 4th fret on the third string from the top

A musical education can teach you to write "complicated" music because it gives you access to a deeper understanding of what is considered "acceptable" and thus access to a more complicated but still "correct" set of building blocks, a greater vocabulary if you will. A complete lack of musical education makes it harder to work out why some of the notes are black and some of them are white and why there's not a black one between every two white ones I remember in high school there were some kids who couldn't tell the difference between notes that were a semitone apart!

I'm not saying complicated is supposed to be a "compliment" but to arrange music in a way that might involve harmony as well as melody, or to be able to write it down in a way that more than one person has access to it, benefits from education. if you want to compose and score for a symphony, you need some form of education.

What I'm trying to say is that writing a piece of symphonic music for a full orchestra is harder than writing a three-chord blues jam for one guy on the guitar. Whether either one of them is "good" is up to the listener.
I understand now. I thought you were implying something else.
jono likes this.
Formerly Given To Fly is online  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode