My Band covering dream theater - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

My Band covering dream theater

sup guys
Me and my band covered The Spirit Carries On by Dream Theater on a school presentation on friday, could you please take a look and tell me your opinion and what I should do about my guitar playing(especially on the solo) and the overall band work (btw, im the guy thats almost fully in white with the black LTD with petrucci pups guitar and blue strap)?

heres the link to the video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqzrBxXvLFA

cheers, thanks for your time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 05:29 PM

Re: My Band covering dream theater

Hi, i thought the solo sounded pretty good! Nice work. If i were to suggest anything it might be stage presence. Its hard to replicate a rock show with no lights, but people in any audience are MUCH more inclined to get into what your doing if you are putting some life/soul/joy into your performance. That, and get the girl to be your fulltime singer...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 06:11 PM

I thought both you and the girl did great! I couldn't really hear the piano, but know they were there. You guys and gal got the job done. Nice job on the JP solo.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate the nice comments, thx
and btw it was just a band we formed for covering a song in that occasion, not a formal band or something like that hehe
any comments on technique?I know I was a little kinda static because of being nervous hehe but I noticed that and tried to show more feeling especially in the ending

cheers
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 03:38 PM

Reviews: 3

Your playing was very good. I saw you standing next to the chair and I wondered if you were going to pull out the JP guitar solo pose. Glad you did...
Yeah, my only real advice here is to keep it up. The stage presence will come with time and comfort performing. Just take any opportunity to play in front of people that you can get.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the kind words
you think I have "musical future"?hehe (my ultimate goal is to study music but im not 100% sure if ill be able to reach it)

and I agree with you, I was a little nervous this time but I think that if I get to play more live ill feel more comfortable

cheers
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 06:34 AM

enjoyed watching that!
good job!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 02:55 PM

Reviews: 3

I think that if you keep a good attitude and stay the course, you can have whatever future you want. I don't see a reason why you can't study music, of course I'm not familiar with how College music programs work in Chile. In the States, if a guitarist wants to study in College, they'll usually have two choices-classical or jazz. At some universities, even jazz guitarists have to study classical(or at least audition with it). If that's your goal-go for it! Just make sure you have at least a basic understanding of the neck(note placement and intervals), chords, and scales. Not just the chord/scale shapes, but the "why" behind them(ie, what makes a min7 chord a min7 chord) Also, be able to read guitar music. There's usually a sight reading portion in the audition.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 09:23 PM

sweet!!!

hotrod
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

thanks for advice texshred
about studying here in Chile, Im thinking of maybe enter for a contest (dunno if its the right word, srry, but u get the idea) for a scholarship to study hopely in Germany (because I go to a german school and luckily have good marks), because there the kind of music I like to hear (or maybe every kind of music thats more elaborated than rap or pop) is WAY more valorated than here (here I think I wouldnt have a chance to get a good financial situation), and I also think the music colleges there should be better than the ones that are here
Im thinking of getting in a music theory course or something like that in my last 2 years of high school (im currently 15, almost 16, and im in 10th grade, and here in chile we have till 12th grade and then u go college) to be prepared for the auditions (apart from having regular lessons with a guitar teacher, as I do now), or maybe just a composition course, ill be checking it next year.

I think my future goes more that way than studying music here in Chile.

and hotrod, thanks for ur support

cheers and thx for your time

Tags
dream theater petrucci

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode