My first build/mod from scratch. - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 12
Talking My first build/mod from scratch.

I started playing again after 19 years off. I never could afford an Ibanez in the 80's-90's. I got a RG270 in april. I then replaced everything but the body with MIJ parts and seymour duncan PU's. These pics are from my project RG570 body I got a couple months ago. I decided to add my own Herman style grip and I decided to shape the back of the body so I can access the higher frets easier. I wanted to try staining to see how it would come out so here it is. just remember this is my first attempt at anything like this and I am having a blast.

I am now deciding if I want to use the neck and fingerboard I have or replace the maple fingerboard with a rosewood one with sharktooth/lightning inlays. I took a wizardII neck shaved it down to 17mm at 1st fret and 19mm at 15th fret. I did re radius the fingerboard to 430mm but I really like the rosewood look and inlays. I have a rg550 neck with rosewood and sharktooth on my other guitar that I replaced everything on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 08:01 AM

Reviews: 37
Re: My first build/mod from scratch.

looks good , i was going to put that grip on a jem body too nice. would have been better painted though. what process did you use to make the grip, files ?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsfury View Post
i was going to put that grip on a jem body too
Double grip. Now that would be interesting.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 03:21 PM

wow, great job for your first mod!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 03:38 PM

Reviews: 2

Looks like the wood didn't take the stain evenly - which has nothing to do with you. Did you use conditioner before you stained? I used to be a skeptic, but after using it on cedar and getting uniform staining I became a believer.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 06:35 AM

This looks killer, looking forward to seeing more pics
good job

Tags
custom body , project , rg's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode