My first song uploaded here .... "November" - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2003, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

My first song uploaded here .... "November"

Gear:
Ibanez RG1550 with stock pickups
V-amp2 (Patch 9D with Gain at 50% for rythm, 90% for lead. patch 11E for clean)
Straight into naff onboard sound card and edited with Cool Edit Pro2.

kind of a rocky/ballad type thing (maybe a hint of pop in it )

http://foofighter.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/november.mp3

yet to write lyrics or find a singer hehe

hope you enjoy

*edited new version uploaded, shouldn't have noticeable hissing apart from on divebomb before solo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2003, 06:15 PM

Pretty good.

Compositionally, I like it. Maybe the rythm could use a bit more excitement, and the main theme from the lead is dying for a strong harmony, but otherwise very good.

I did notice a persistant hiss throughout the song. I don't know if it's the v-amp, your guitar, recording program, sound card, etc, but it's fairly audible and a bit distracting. The recording would benefit a LOT if you could find the source of the hiss and kill it.

Good luck! Keep rockin'
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2003, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithb
Pretty good.

Compositionally, I like it. Maybe the rythm could use a bit more excitement, and the main theme from the lead is dying for a strong harmony, but otherwise very good.
thanks, i was planning on a harmony but never got round to it as i was eager to mix down, i'll have a go later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithb
I did notice a persistant hiss throughout the song. I don't know if it's the v-amp, your guitar, recording program, sound card, etc, but it's fairly audible and a bit distracting. The recording would benefit a LOT if you could find the source of the hiss and kill it.

Good luck! Keep rockin'
i couldn't hear the hissing at all until i put on some headphones this morning and listened to it. eek better try and sort that out.

thanks for the comments
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2003, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

new version uploaded.. not completely happy but its better i think

and ignore the few wrong harmony notes, i'll be working on it more
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2003, 03:31 PM

cool man , i like it
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2003, 06:17 PM

Nice

Looks like you nailed the hiss, everything sounds great to me.

Good stuff!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2003, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

thanks "noise reduction - hiss reduction" is a great feature in cool edit pro haha.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2003, 07:29 PM

Sounds good to me... I listened to it last night, and again after you made your additions. As with everything, it could use a little more tweaking, but all in all, good job!

-Ben
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2003, 07:33 PM

Sounds good so far. Nice tones. Drums could use some life...sequenced, right? Or are they real drums? Anyways, not bad, thought the mix could be better, and it could use some bass. I like the harmony though.

Sounds like a bit of Nirvana snuck in there? Maybe? I dunno, that section at 1:16 sounds very Nirvana/Offspring (not a bad thing, it's just a chord progression that pops up everywhere. See also: Evanescence - "Going Under" chorus)

Take a look at my demo (just posted in this section) if you get a chance
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2003, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the comments..

the drums are sequenced yet (i can't do drums to save my life )
as for bass, i haven't got access to one but i do have ideas for the bass (wouldn't be any palm muting behind the arpeggio verse thing, that would be bass fills)

as for the "chorus" progression, can't really escape sounding like nirvana, they've done it all and were a big influence on my musical taste a few years ago.. and with a common progression like that its hard to escape sounding like someone else (i was wearing a Green Day t-shirt when i recorded it so maybe its from one of their songs heh)

i'll go check out your demo now two hands and leave you some comments.

thanks, matt.

Tags
chord progression , palm muting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode