MyHELP lack of good string muting is KILLLING ME!! - Fret ha - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-24-2002, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

MyHELP lack of good string muting is KILLLING ME!! - Fret ha

Well, you know how it goes, you think you have a good muting technique, then when you play loud enough you see it's not all there. When you jam with a band, you sound pretty good, but there's alot of background noise so you get away with it. But when you turn that amp up loud and play solo, there it is again, bad muting technique. I just can't live with my dirty little secret anymore.

My problem seems to stem from fret hand muting. I almost alway get noise when going from high to low strings (E,B and G). I've looked at my finger technique, and it seems O.K. My fingers come pretty much strait down when fretting a note ( while muting the string I just left). I'm not hitting any other string when I fret a note, but when I move up to the next string the string I was muting vibrates. Example: I'm plying two notes per string starting on the high E and moving up to B then G string. I play the note on the E and move tho the B string while muting the E with the finger I have on the B string. Then when I move to the G string the fretting finger is muting the B string. THe problem is now the E string is vibrating.

While ascending up the strings EADGBE, my palm mutes pretty good, but when playing fast I end up muting notes and not just open strings.

Also, the muting problem is very evident when playing quick fills in rythym parts. The licks between the rythym parts get king of muddy and don't stand out enough

ANY advice/exercise or tips would be GREATLY appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-24-2002, 06:03 PM

MyHELP lack of good string muting is KILLLING ME!!

what helped me was to SLOW EVERYTHING DOWN ALOT!!!!

and i mean ALOT!!! (this is where the metronome comes in handy)

learn everything you want to play at an extremely slow speed, and play it as cleanly as possible. this increases you finger strength and articulation because you're paying alot more attention to the single notes or chords at a speed where you can make changes to your technique easily. pay close attention to your finger and hand posture of both hands, and if you notice mistakes or accidental noise, try your best to correct it through change of posture, etc.

then speed it up a notch or two, and do the same... keep doing that until you are up to normal speed, and then things should sound alot better. keep in mind this takes alot of time and patience, but its what makes alot of our great guitar heroes sound so damned good :biggrin:

(i.e. JP, Vai, and Satriani did this for like 10 hours a day in their late teens, and believe me, it helps)

i hope this helps!!
-Pryde

(Edited by Pryde7 at 5:04 pm on Mar. 24, 2002)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 06:14 PM

Re: MyHELP lack of good string muting is KILLLING ME!! - Fret ha

i have a rather ****ed-up picking technique involving a lot of movement from the wrist (hey it works!!) but i find that this allows me to put lots of right hand all over the lower strings, and then i use my left hand to mute higherstrings with the fleshy bits of my fingers, and i have no unwanted notes climbing out as a result!!
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 08:57 AM

Re: MyHELP lack of good string muting is KILLLING ME!! - Fret ha

+1

Learn how to mute with both hands. Usually the right one mutes the low ones and the left one mutes the high ones.

Tags
low strings , lower strings , palm mute , picking technique

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode