Name a guitarist who has improved in the last 20 years? - Page 2 - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 08:29 AM

Re: Name a guitarist who has improved in the last 20 years?

YOU CAN NEVER STOP IMPROVEING ON GUITAR BECAUSE THERE ARE SO MANY STYLES TO BRANCH INTO. IF YOU COME TO A STICKING POINT WITH YOUR METAL LICKS YOU CAN TRY INCORPORATING THINGS FROM OTHER STYLES LIKE CHICKEN PICKING(ZAK WYLDE, JOHN 5) ETC HAVE DONE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 12:15 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by IANSPA View Post
YOU CAN NEVER STOP IMPROVEING ON GUITAR BECAUSE THERE ARE SO MANY STYLES TO BRANCH INTO. IF YOU COME TO A STICKING POINT WITH YOUR METAL LICKS YOU CAN TRY INCORPORATING THINGS FROM OTHER STYLES LIKE CHICKEN PICKING(ZAK WYLDE, JOHN 5) ETC HAVE DONE
You can easily stagnate if you don't challenge yourself.
There is also a line that should be drawn, if you're just learning chickin' pickin' to throw it someplace in a song, or does the song actually call for it?

I've improved in some ways and stagnated in other areas.
One thing that challenges me is when writing or co-writing new music is if the song requires something I'm not proficient in, I have to force myself to learn that style.
My slide playing has improved a bit recently, and hopefully my overall solo technique as well.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IANSPA View Post
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 01:09 PM

post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 01:31 PM

I guess that depends on your definition of improvement. If it's just pure technical ability, then very few of the "shredders" will have shown technical improvement in the last 20 years. To become a "Shredder" 20 years ago took an insane amount of technical ability.

Yet I find Satch's music to be way more mature. I feel like he's grown musically. And I say growing musically is most assuredly an improvement. I've found his last two albums to be among the very best of his career.
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 02:43 PM

Devin Townsend and Alex Skolnick.

That and just about everyone under the age of 30.
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 04:01 PM

I would agee on Al DiMeola, and add Steve Morse and John Petrucci. At some point in your career, if you are lucky enough to get a recording contract and make money, you need to focus your attention on songwriting to keep your fans. So, while it can seem that playing chops are getting stagnant, there are other areas to work on. Just sayin'
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 04:20 PM

Steve Stevens
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 06:45 PM

Reviews: 120

Definitely Paul Gilbert. His phrasing, sense of melody and timing has grown heaps. He talks about it himself quote a bit in the video and magazine lessons he's done over the past few years.

He may not be shredding quite as fast as the early Racer X days, but it sounds so much better as he's synced in so much more to the tempo and groove, and his phrasing is fantastic. The string skipping stuff is insane too.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 10:51 PM

Mattias Eklundh. With his influence from indian music these last years, he has become very good with reduction. 1234567 123456 12345 1234 123 12 1. Hooray!
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 07:19 PM

I'd have to vote for Michael Amott... not that he was ever bad, but I was just listening to the new Arch Enemy album and he's gotten better in just about every respect. Technical prowess, the ability to meld styles seemlessly, the ablitly to write memorable phrases, overall songwriting, simply making songs heavy AND fun.

Tags
alex skolnick , devin townsend , steve stevens , string skipping

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in