Neal Schon - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Neal Schon

Though I've heard of him a lot before, I've been listening to a lot of Journey for the past few months. His playing is awesome, no doubt about it. Out of my top 3 favourite guitarists, he's #3 (after Vai and Metheny of course).

I'm very interested in getting 'I On U', but alas, we don't get much virtuoso albums here in Malaysia, so I may be ordering it through Amazon instead. Is the album worth buying? I've heard some good reviews about it which were not pretty convincing IMHO.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by King Knall; 12-22-2005 at 11:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 10:32 AM

Reviews: 10
Thumbs up Re: Neal Schon

Anything by Mr Schon is superb!!!! he is one of the greats man, he can really
lay down some great melodic solos ala Journey but he can also be harder if he wants to, just listen to his solo in the Hear and Aid STARS project, he can definitely rip with the best of them... buy anything by Neal you can't go wrong!!!
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 11:37 AM

Re: Neal Schon

Anyone heard his latest titled IonU or something. Is it good?
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 12:29 PM

His solo stuff on Favored Nation is awesome too. I've always liked Neal Schon's playing too.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 02:57 PM

The Journey 2001 live DVD is essential for NS fans. His PRS tone is beautiful.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 10:14 PM

I on U is a great album. i think if you're a fan, its no doubt worth it. although my favorite work by him is the 2-disc album from the 90's (i forgot the name unfortunately)
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 10:28 PM

Neil always has been somewhat of an underrated player, I think. Journey was never really considered a "guitar" band....most of the attention went to Steve Perry.
His studio work with Journey, Jan Hammer, etc is remarkable, but when he plays live he totally pulls out the stops...if you get a chance to see him, take advantage of the opportunity. Live Schon is 10x whatever you may have heard on studio recordings.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfdog777
Neil always has been somewhat of an underrated player,
yes he's very underrated
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfdog777
Neil always has been somewhat of an underrated player, I think. Journey was never really considered a "guitar" band....most of the attention went to Steve Perry.
His studio work with Journey, Jan Hammer, etc is remarkable, but when he plays live he totally pulls out the stops...if you get a chance to see him, take advantage of the opportunity. Live Schon is 10x whatever you may have heard on studio recordings.
Very true. Steve Perry seemed to get more credit than Neal. I like Neal's guitar work alot in Journey, especially in "Who's Crying Now".
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 11:16 PM

Reviews: 1

Fantastic musician! Very underrated....
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 11:09 AM

Reviews: 10
Thumbs up Re: Neal Schon

He is just underrated in the sense that he hasn't gotten a lot of acknowledgement as a guitar soloist but that doesn't mean that a lot of people including other guitar players don't consider him to be up there with the best 6 string slingers. The way I see it he hasn't been very interested to stablish himself a solo guitarist he's more of a team player he likes to be
part of the oveall picture rather than on the spotlight and that's what makes him great, that's why his guitar playing is one of the best examples of
melody, he plays for the song not just for the guitar solo.
For me he is up there with Steve Lukather, David Gilmour and Steve Rothery
as the kings of melody IMHO.
Check Neal's work with Bad English and HardLine it's fantastic!!!
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flobanez
Very true. Steve Perry seemed to get more credit than Neal. I like Neal's guitar work alot in Journey, especially in "Who's Crying Now".
Not forgetting 'Any Way You Want It', 'Lights' and 'Wheel In The Sky'.

post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 11:49 AM

I'd have to include "Line of Fire" as my personal favorite, along with the segue solo from the live version of "Lights" into "Stay Awhile". The solo isn't all that complicated, but just oozes melodic tone....
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 09:32 AM

December 19, 2006

PRESS RELEASE

JOURNEY NAMES JEFF SCOTT SOTO

OFFICIAL NEW LEAD SINGER

December 19, 2006 -- Jeff Scott Soto has been officially named the new lead singer of Journey. He had been filling in for Steve Augeri, who had to leave the U.S. tour with Def Leppard shortly after it began on June 23 due to illness.

“We are so grateful to Steve for all the years he dedicated to Journey,” says Journey in a joint statement. “We thank Steve for all his hard work and we wish him only the best in his future endeavors. Over the past few months, we’ve come to realize that Jeff has proven himself above and beyond that he can sing the hell out of our songs and we’re happy to officially welcome him as part of the family. We’re excited to start a new chapter with Jeff and we’re excited about what the future may bring.”

Steve Augeri states: “Singing for Journey these last eight years have been the most challenging and the most rewarding of my career. I would like to take this opportunity to thank the band, and especially the fans, for the privilege of being part of a musical legacy that has touched so many hearts and souls. I wish my fellow bandmates success and happiness as they continue to make great music in the future, as I will strive to do the same myself.”

Jeff Soto also adds, “With delight & pleasure, I am accepting the offer to continue my tenure with Journey now as their permanent vocalist after the amazing past months we've spent together on tour. I also pay high respect to Steve Augeri for coming in and helping Journey continue their legacy for nearly the last decade and to Steve Perry for co-creating this legacy. I hope to now add and help drive Journey into the next stage of this band's future.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwZJ5...elated&search=
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 10:50 PM

Smile Re: Neal Schon

Neal is a VERY underrated player!!!
I On U is a pretty nice album too
But check out Neal's earliest stuff, with.....SANTANA!!!!
Santana's Caravanserai is a great album, it also features a couple members of the Mahavishnu Orchestra!
After trying to fire Santana from Santana he left and formed JOURNEY

Tags
chris brooks , david gilmour , def leppard , guitar players , guitar playing , heavy metal , neal schon , sammy hagar , steve lukather

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

WHAT GUITAR PLAYS DEAN SCHON

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode