Need Help With Scales And Speed - Someone Please Help Me - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2001, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Need Help With Scales And Speed - Someone Please Help Me

Ok I have always wanted to learn lead but never have, I have always been the rhythm player. I tryed a couple times practicing basic scales but when ever I tryed to solo it always sounded like I was well playing a scale. I need some help on this part of my playing BIG TIME. And wondering if there is certain scales I should learn over others, and is there anywhere on the web to view scales etc etc.

My basic styles of playing has been, Dave Matthews yes I know but he is a extremly talented player listen to his solo stuff, his songs can hold up on there own with or without a band, and his unorthodox style of chords and rhythms is amazing. Mr Vai of course but I need to walk before I run, I can however play the rhythm parts. And Classical guitarists, not neo classical shredders but actual classical guitarists.

Styles im interested in learning, Mr Vai, Neo Classical Shredders, blues players ALA SRV and jazz greats like Grant Green and Wes Montgomery.

Wow now that I read this before posting it seems like im asking alot of y'all

but any point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Brett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2001, 10:36 PM

Need Help With Scales And Speed

This is a rather large endevour indeed. *If you were in Seattle or St. Louis I'd say come take lessons from me *Seriously tho, if you don't know where to start, perhaps you should seek out some shred head for a few lessons.

Later, Rich
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2001, 02:20 PM

Start learning all the seven modes, in three note per string patterns. Play them every day up and down, and in different picking patterns etc. That will develop your technique quite much. And it is important to know the seven modes...

Buy John Petruccis "Rock Discipline" video, that should really get you going.. * And listen to alot of guitar players, to get to know what kind of style you want to develop. Try to learn the things you like by ear, and soon, youll start *making your own terrifying licks...

(Edited by Jay Satriani at 8:22 pm on Nov. 22, 2001)
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2001, 03:27 PM

Skip the video, and get a nice scale book and a decent metronome. *There are also a dozen good FREE drum machine programs at Download.com.

Start slow, build your speed up until you're blazing, but also accurate and CLEAN. *Playing with a clean sound on your amp also helps. *

As far as videos, I'll recommend the following:
• Both of Shawn Lane's videos.
• Any Paul Gilbert videos, esp. "Guitars From Mars" and "Intense Rock 2".
• Chris Impelliterri's "Speed Soloing". *(just kidding. LOL)

Speaking of JP, didn't he rape his fans for over $25,000+ to make a new video? *Well.....wherethefu*k is it? **taps foot* *
Your "fans" are waiting....
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2001, 05:29 PM

Quote:
quote by Kevan:
Skip the video
In my opinion, the JP video is a really good starting point since it explains all the techniques and how to practice them. I warmly recommend it as a handbook over different techniques...

(Edited by Jay Satriani at 11:31 pm on Nov. 22, 2001)
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2001, 06:02 PM

What'er...
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2001, 06:05 PM

Yeah...that video...well...he kinda had that like, new album to write...then that G3 tour we all swooned over...now another tour...he's had a much busier tour schedule than Vai, and it's not slowing down at all.

Personally for me, the Rock Discpline video did help quite a bit. I'm also a huge DT fan, so 'sitting down with Petrucci' was an enjoyment as well.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2001, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Kevan:
Speaking of JP, didn't he rape his fans for over $25,000+ to make a new video? *Well.....wherethefu*k is it? **taps foot* *
Your "fans" are waiting....
Quote:
Andy J Dampier:
Yeah...that video...well...he kinda had that like, new album to write...then that G3 tour we all swooned over...now another tour...he's had a much busier tour schedule than Vai, and it's not slowing down at all.
That pretty much explains it i think... BTW, [EDIT] LOL

(Edited by Kevan at 9:39 pm on Nov. 22, 2001)
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2001, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Kevan on 6:02 pm on Nov. 22, 2001
What'er...
I didn't feel like typing it again.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-23-2001, 07:53 PM

Reviews: 5

there is a book called

Scales and Modes, Basix Press

It outlines all 7 of the most popular modes.

It's a great place to start. *Learn those. *Then pick out music you want to learn and analyze the scales used in those pieces. *Examples:

Mixolydian
------------
Steve Vai - "Juice"
Joe Satriani - "Rasberry Jam Delta V"

Lydian
--------
Steve Vai - "Answers"

Dorian
--------
Everything Carlos Santana ever touched.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-28-2001, 06:21 PM

Still the most striking example of dorian is Page's solo in 'No Quarter' off the live Zep album.

Chris, do you have any cool locrian tips. Everytime I try to go locrian I get pulled back into another sound. Maybe it's the chords I'm playing over??

Guy
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-07-2001, 03:49 PM

first of all I just want to say that this site is full of usefull tips and tricks from a whole load of excellent guitarists.

I did get Rock discipline (my first instruction video) but watched it once and learnt everything from the book, scince then I have only got Stanley jordans master class vid (not great unless you like hearing people compare jazz to food and spending 90 mins talking and 6 mins playing) and recently I got chop builder, not very useful to me now, maybe three years ago it would have helped me get started.

at the moment Im looking around for the gilbert ones.

Im also wondering where JP's next vid is, didnt they make that around the time of the great switch, maybe thats the problem
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-18-2001, 10:52 AM

As far as learning the 7 modes of the major scale, *that is important, but I have gotten to the point where all the modes bleed into one giant fret map on the fretboard.

To the point where you no longer think of each mode, *you just know every note on the fretboard because of the modes.

I guess another way to explain it is, Use the modes as Small "building blocks" *to make your entire fretboard light up in your head like a "fret light" *guitar. *

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-18-2001, 11:21 AM

Of course I'll disagree with Kevan because, well, he's wrong (as usual), and it's downright fun! :biggrin: The JP video is really useful for someone new to soloing. It's not very musical, but it will get you through most of the mechanics and help you develop a practice routine.

That's 50% of soloing; mechanics and practicing.

The other 50% of it is being musical. That comes from just doing it. I find improvisation is key when it comes to this.

For me it's (soloing) has always been a right brain/left brain thing.

You have to get the analytical/technical side of your brain comfortable enough with soloing (scales, mechanics of actually doing it, modes - which are just repeated scales etc) so the emotional/expressive side of your mind can take control.

It gets to a point of where you don't really look or think about it at all.

You just play.

(Edited by jeffrey at 1:07 pm on Dec. 19, 2001)
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-18-2001, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Kevan on 9:40 pm on Nov. 22, 2001
Quote:
Kevan on 6:02 pm on Nov. 22, 2001
What'er...
I didn't feel like typing it again.
...nor again. *:-)

Tags
guitar players , joe satriani , john petrucci , paul gilbert , shawn lane , stanley jordan , steve vai , sweep picking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode