Need Soloing Help - ~little odd progression - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-05-2001, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Need Soloing Help - ~little odd progression

I would like to know what modes/scales you would use to sound good over a weird blues progression my school is doing in Jazz band. *The song is fairly slow, and it sounds goofy (no pun intended :innocent: ) when I use Minor pentatonic.
These are the chords/changes:

F minor seven add 9 (4 bars)
C Dominant Seven Add Flat 10 (2 bars)
The F-chord again (2 bars)
B flat Dominant Seven Add Flat 10 (1 bar)
The C-chord again (1 bar)
The F-chord again (2 bars)
REPEAT

I have been practicing it over a recording, and I can't make a solo that sticks together... * I have been using Minor and Dorian over them, but it lacks dynamic-ness. *Someone try it out, it will be a good exercise for you too!
Thanks in advance,
* * Goof-Dogg
P.S. *Sample licks would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-05-2001, 07:39 PM

Need Soloing Help

F Harmonic minor throughout except for the B7#9 play B mixolydian (b9, #9, b13).

Good luck!
Dave
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-06-2001, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Need Soloing Help

Thanks Dave, any other suggestions?
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-06-2001, 12:20 PM

Need Soloing Help

Hi-

First, those "flat 10" chords are actually dominant 7 sharp nine chords; just a nomenclature difference. *The reason is tens are threes up an octave. *When you name a chord, say C7, the notes are: CEGBb; to add a b10 means inserting Eb into the chord. *Because E is already natural, the third, you must call the Eb by it's enharmonic name, D#, whenever possible. *In some cases, you'll end up with doubly- and triply flatted or sharped notes.
Your chords read:

Fm7 add 9
C7#9
Bb7

So you're doing a minor blues. *Jazz-blues' always have a dominant IV and V chord, the Bb7 and C7#9 respectively. *Basically, anything with an Eb major key signature will fit all notes in the scales dictated by the chords. *If you want to get a little funky, try an A- or a B-diminshed arpeggio or scale when moving to the Bb7.

Good luck.

-Devin
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-06-2001, 06:53 PM

Need Soloing Help

Over your dominant chords there is a scale that would work out nicely called the Mixo-Blues scale. *It is basically the b5 blues scale with an added major third. *This way, you get that #9/b10 note AND a major third, so you can go either way. *I'm playing it right now and it sounds pretty good fast with the 5 chromatic notes.

The scale is 1 - b3 - 3 - 4 - b5 - 5 - b7. *Enjoy.

(Edited by Josh Blagg at 6:58 pm on May 6, 2001)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode