New Dream Theater album, poor quality material? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

New Dream Theater album, poor quality material?

Im mostly posting about the physical CD itself, although I'd love to start a new discussion on thoughts about the music.

my question is.....is anyone else's CD skipping brand new out of the case? I bought one from a local store, and my wife bought one online, and both of our cd's are starting to skip, only a week or 2 into having it, and the cd itself isn't showing signs of scratches
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 12:06 PM

nope, mine is fine. You checked your CD's for scratches?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 03:39 PM

Quite often the record labels have a "QA" department you can contact. I emailed BMG Canada's QA department after their copy-protected version of Massive Attack's 100th Window failed to work on my computer, despite claiming on the package that it would. They sent me a new un-protected copy.

Since you have two discs that are exhibiting the same problem, you have a bit of a case for them to look into.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 04:24 PM

Mine skipped on track 1 the first few times. Its good now, though.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 05:27 PM

No problems here.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 04:20 AM
dex

Mine works absolutely fine and little by little I'm starting to like the music on it as well.

ilia
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 07:17 PM

Mines fine.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 09:20 PM

Mine is fine. It could be that your CD player is confused by CDs with multimedia content. I know that my discman does exactly what you're describing on some multimedia CDs (but not this one for some reason).
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 01:22 AM

Yeah, my car cd player, which is finicky with cd-r's and media enhanced cd's, has some difficulty with it. I have to keep putting it in and start skipping around the songs to trick it into working.

AND WHEN IT WORKS IT ROCKS!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 09:32 AM

Been working just fine, and keeping me headbanging through many a day now.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 10:24 PM

My CD is fine. I didn't like the music, though. Maybe it'll grow on me, but so far it sounds like a quckly hacked together album to fullfill the contract with recording company. They can do so much more than they've shown on this CD.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2003, 05:18 AM

No problems here
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by microdmitry
My CD is fine. I didn't like the music, though. Maybe it'll grow on me, but so far it sounds like a quckly hacked together album to fullfill the contract with recording company. They can do so much more than they've shown on this CD.
Well, they went for a specific style on this album and nailed it, IMO. Portnoy and Petrucci have both said that this was a one-time thing. Of course they can do so much more than that. They can do so much more than what they did on Images and Words, too.

Oh, and my CD is fine.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 04:18 PM

Reviews: 4
My CD plays fine.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory
Quote:
Originally Posted by microdmitry
Well, they went for a specific style on this album and nailed it, IMO. Portnoy and Petrucci have both said that this was a one-time thing. Of course they can do so much more than that. They can do so much more than what they did on Images and Words, too.

Oh, and my CD is fine.
I guess I'm just being naive. I want them to eclipse LTE2 (even though technically it's not DT), and this is not gonna happen.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode