New Kids On The Block reform!!! - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

New Kids On The Block reform!!!

YESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought the Extreme reunion was exciting, but now this?!?

New Kids On The Block To Reform
by Paul Cashmere - January 28 2008
www.undercover.com

New Kids On The Block, one of the world's first "boy bands', is planning a comeback.

Donnie Wahlberg, Joey McIntyre, Danny Wood, Jordan Knight and his brother Jonathan, are expected to make the official announcement in coming weeks.

It has been 24 years since NKOTB were 'Hangin' Tough'.

The group's official web site was reactivated last week with a new copyright notice 2008 NKOTB Inc added.

New Kids On The Block were manufactured in Boston in 1984 as a white version of New Edition.15 year old Donnie Wahlberg won the audition over 500 other entrants to become the first member.

He initially brought in his little brother Mark but the younger Wahlberg made a good choice and didn't pursue the band. He started his own group Marky Mark & The Funky Bunch, and had a number of hits on his own, including 'Good Vibrations'. He is now a successful movie star.

Danny Wood was Donnie's best friend. He got a gig. The Knight's went to school with Donnie.

Another early recruit, Jaime Kelly didn't last long. He was replaced with 12 year old Joey McIntyre.

The first album by NKOTB came out in 1986 but was widely ignored. 'Hangin' Tough', the second album in 1988 hit the spot with the single 'You Got It (The Right Stuff).

The end came in 1994 after the final album 'NKOTB'. With the guys now in their mid to late 20s, New Kids On The Block were no longer "cute" anymore.

NKOTB.com is expected to make the reunion announcement in February.

Meantime, to prepare for what this thing could turn out like, I recommend you watch the Australian movie Boy Town.

The comedy Boy Town was about a boy band that decided to reform when they are in their mid 30s. They soon discover that the old teenage love songs don't work with the audience anymore, so they right a new batch of songs for 30+ women to identify with.

The new song titles were 'P___ywhipped', Parent Teacher Night', 'Dishpan Hands', 'Cellulite Lady' and 'Special Time Of The Month'.

The reformed NKOTB might be well advised to throw a few Boy Town covers into their set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 10:42 PM

Re: New Kids On The Block reform!!!

I find it hard to believe. VH-1 tried to get them to reform and Donnie Wahlberg wanted nothing to do with it since he in an actor now. I don't see him changing his mind...thank god.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 10:53 PM

Reviews: 12
Thumbs down Re: New Kids On The Block reform!!!

And people slag Stryper?
This is definitely a pseudo event in music history...

The big shame though is that they will make a few bucks from this!
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moebius View Post
I find it hard to believe. VH-1 tried to get them to reform and Donnie Wahlberg wanted nothing to do with it since he in an actor now. I don't see him changing his mind...thank god.
Yeah but that was 1999, when Donnie's confidence as an actor was soaring thanks to his 20-second scene in The Sixth Sense. That was a loooooooong time ago.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 11:09 PM

You want to know what's on my list of sentences that don't deserve 3 exclamation points?
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 11:10 PM

24 years?
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
You want to know what's on my list of sentences that don't deserve 3 exclamation points?
I don't even know if I'm taking the mickey out of this or if I'm serious. Either way, it's fun to talk about stuff.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilch View Post
24 years?
Either that's a typo or they stopped hangin' tough long before they broke up.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 12:09 AM

Must be a typo.

1988 was Hangin' Tough wasn't it?

lol, everytime I try to remember one of their tunes I keep hearing Opposite's Attract, but seeing the version from Family Guy with Peter dressed as the cat.

"ooh I take, a-two steps forward"
"you take two steps back"
"...."
"Cause, I'm.Dressed like.A cat"

I can't remember any of NKOTB's songs (as in, hear them in my head). I guess that's a good thing. lol.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petie View Post
Yeah but that was 1999, when Donnie's confidence as an actor was soaring thanks to his 20-second scene in The Sixth Sense. That was a loooooooong time ago.
It was not 1999 it was like 2 years ago on that show "bands reunited" that VH-1 had. I think Donnie has done a good job to erase his NKOTB past with his acting e.g. "The Departed."
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
It was not 1999 it was like 2 years ago on that show "bands reunited" that VH-1 had. I think Donnie has done a good job to erase his NKOTB past with his acting e.g. "The Departed."
That was mark Walberg not Donnie. They are brothers. Mark was Marky Mark and DOnnie was in NKOTB.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotornut View Post
That was mark Walberg not Donnie. They are brothers. Mark was Marky Mark and DOnnie was in NKOTB.
My bad, knew it was one of them. Well Donnie was in Saw II and Band of brothers, that I know for sure.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
My apologies, I was going off this article and got my MTV/VH1 wires crossed.

New Kids on the Block to reunite

NEW Kids on the Block are set to reunite.

The hugely successful boy band - who sold more than 70 million albums worldwide in the late 80s and early 90s - are reportedly planning to announce they are reforming within the next couple of weeks.

The band's website, which had previously been offline, is now back up and running with a link inviting fans to sign up for information on the band.

A source said: "There's only one reason their website has come back to life.

The boy's are making a comeback and they're desperate to relive former glory."

The band - consisting of brothers Jordan and Jonathan Knight, Joey McIntyre, Danny Wood and Donnie Wahlberg - first formed in 1984.

They released their first album New Kids on the Block in 1986, before finding global success with their follow-ups Hangin' Tough and Step By Step.

The band split in 1994 after their fourth LP, Face to Face, flopped.

Jordan, 37, Jonathan, 39, Joey, 35, and Danny, 38, all forged moderately successful solo careers but never matched the success they shared together.

Donnie, 38 - the older brother of The Departed star Mark - moved into acting, and has appeared in films including Ransom, The Sixth Sense and 'aw.

In 1999, MTV attempted to reunite the band for the Video Music Awards, but their plans fell through when Jonathan refused to take part.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 05:07 PM

Well looks like they have tried in 1999 and in 2004. I am still hoping this rumor is untrue as it could be a sign of the apocalypse.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Well looks like they have tried in 1999 and in 2004. I am still hoping this rumor is untrue as it could be a sign of the apocalypse.

What other sign of the apocalypse do you need?

Sad fact, that LP in the pic is mine. I got it for my birthday when I was, like, 10 or 11 or something. Thanks mum. Its mint, nearly unplayed condition is testament to my discovery of Van Halen around the same time.

Tags
david mccarroll , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode