New Living Colour - Collideoscope - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

New Living Colour - Collideoscope

Woohoo! It's here! The new Living Colour album! I'm about to write a review for my webzine, but in a nutshell the production and tones are very reminiscent of "Stain" for much of the album - but once again they sound about ten years ahead of their time. And Vernon Reid continues to be out of his mind - there are several solos which sound eerily like Frank Zappa. Love it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2003, 12:34 AM

Glad you like it!!!! I'm a big LC fan and spend a lot of time over on the Yahoo LC group. The album was supposed to be out by Sept 23rd worldwide and on Oct 7th in the US, but it seems that quite a few countries were for some reason framed into the later release date (i.e. Australia, Canada)...the bottom line is: I'll have it on Tuesday.

I heard most of the tracks already on some live bootlegs, and it sounds very very promising...oh, and I hopefully get to see them live with King Crimson in a month
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2003, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

My copy is a British import. Had no trouble finding it though, the store had about 20 of them
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2003, 10:48 AM
EKG

Picking mine up tomorrow....always been a big fan.
EKG is online  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 03:08 PM

Got it, I love it!! (but then, if Living Colour released an a capella album of Barry Manilow hits in Japanese, I'd love it too...)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 12:54 PM

I saw them on their reunion tour, after they'd started introducing a few new songs to the set. i particularly remember one song with a chorus that went something like "yes sir, no sir, have a ncie day sir" about how "the customer is always right" and how hard it is working a customer service job. it was horrible- i had the chorus to Rage's "Down Rodeo" running through my head the whole time ("so now i'm rollin' down Rodeo with a shotgun, these people ain't seen a brown-skinned man since their grandparents bought one") i mean, if that was their idea of social injustice and a protest song... they were doing a ton with drum loops too, and it sounded as if they hadn't quite integrated it into their "sound."

I'm hoping things have changed a bit since then? This was over a year ago...

(oh, and re: vernon- i swear to god the guy's just playing pentatonic licks with really fast chromatic connections- thoughtless shred, basically. but, the thing is, he makes sure he lands on "useable" notes, so it totally works. There's a lot that could be learned fromt hat, iMO...)

-D
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 03:27 PM

Yes, the song you heard is "Happy Shopper/Choices Mash Up", I gotta agree that on some songs the lyrics might be somewhat infantile (I could notice it on the previous album) but it still works. As for loops and samples, it works out pretty well on the album...i wouldn't be surprised though if it didn't sound so well live. And Vernon, he's definately one of my very favourite, if not the favourite, rhythm player, and as a soloist, he's unpredictable but he did play some amazing leads over the years. All my doubts whether he actually knows what he's doing (I'd assume he does since he started off playing jazz) went away when i heard his solo perfrmance with the Metropole Orchestra featuring DJ Lgic...stunning

But then, I'm biased
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 12:01 PM

I've had it for a couple of days now, it's kind of starting to grow on me. I'm going to grab Time's Up and Stain just to hear some of the older stuff since it's been awhile. Reid is still one of my favorites, although his lead work seemed (I don't know what word I'm looking for, here)...confident? Some of the lyrics just don't work for a band of L.C.'s caliber. Glover's voice still sounds great, though. And Calhoun and Wimbish make an excellent rythym section. I never pay much attention to bassists, but when Wimbish is on a record, he has a distinctive tone that I really like.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 12:11 AM

I was in the front row at their Hamburg show on Thursday night. Man, those guys can play! Pity that they didn't put on much of a show and interact with the crowd for more than a couple of lines, though. But despite that I walked out happy at having just seen great musicians doing what they do best...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 01:23 AM

Sweet, I have my tickets for the Nov 11th show, can't wait!

Tags
frank zappa , vernon reid

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode