New original prog rock/metal instrumental from my band - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up New original prog rock/metal instrumental from my band

Hi fellow Jemsiters!

My band just finished recording a prog rock/metal song called 'A Journey Through Time' and since it came out pretty nice for a home recording, I though I'd share it with you guys. We're currently looking for a new singer, but it didn't hold us from doing this one. Also, a chance came by to mess with a smoke machine so we had some fun and shot a video to go with the song...

Anyways, here's the song: http://youtu.be/uNw6kdLVJzU

If you have any questions regarding the gear used or anything else, I'd be happy to answer. Some brilliant music here on the forum so keep it up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015, 03:39 PM

Re: New original prog rock/metal instrumental from my band

Excellent, i enjoyed that very much. Please post some more.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015, 04:07 PM

Reviews: 6

the snare drum sound seems like John Macaluso! A bit too heavy on the guitars but kinda liked it!
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015, 04:39 PM

Very nice... Great work!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxsys View Post
Excellent, i enjoyed that very much. Please post some more.
Thank you Maxsys! I'll let you guys know when there's more to show. We have three other songs up on the channel if you didn't watch those yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satch_jr View Post
the snare drum sound seems like John Macaluso! A bit too heavy on the guitars but kinda liked it!
Have to admit that I hadn't heard of Macaluso before. Looked him up and now that you said it, there's definitely something similar in the snare sound! Nice to hear you didn't hate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
Very nice... Great work!
Thanks FireEagle! Getting positive feedback from a forum of this much talent is inspiring.

The guitars were recorded with Amplitube and we're pretty happy how good sounds you can get out of it effortlessly (is that even a word?). Drums were tracked in our rehearsal studio. All the kick-ass singers - REVEAL YOURSELVES!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 06:49 PM

That's gothic! Is it standard tuning, or is the low E really tuned down to a C# or D?

I like the total depth of the low strings on guitar. It's here that I got turned onto 7, 8, and 9 string guitar tones and lowered tuning on those extended range instruments.

You know what would sound great on vocals?...something with a lot of growl if you want to distinguish yourself from a neo-King Crimson type thing. It's not easy and too many otherwise great prog metal bands go too far the other way and sound like extreme metal on vocals. It's a balance that's hard to find without sounding like 1983 or jumping on some flavor of the month djent bandwagon.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 02-02-2015 at 06:57 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 08:04 AM

Great playing. I'm not really a prog fan but good stuff is good stuff and I liked that a lot. Being predominantly a bass player these days I liked what your man was doing there on the SR..
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
That's gothic! Is it standard tuning, or is the low E really tuned down to a C# or D?

I like the total depth of the low strings on guitar. It's here that I got turned onto 7, 8, and 9 string guitar tones and lowered tuning on those extended range instruments.

You know what would sound great on vocals?...something with a lot of growl if you want to distinguish yourself from a neo-King Crimson type thing. It's not easy and too many otherwise great prog metal bands go too far the other way and sound like extreme metal on vocals. It's a balance that's hard to find without sounding like 1983 or jumping on some flavor of the month djent bandwagon.
Yup, it's in standard tuning B being the lowest string. We like what the 7th string brings to the table and have more songs written for that but nothing wrong with a good old sixer either.

Good singers seem to be hiding somewhere, hopefully not for too long tho! Thanks for taking a look, Blazer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiano View Post
Great playing. I'm not really a prog fan but good stuff is good stuff and I liked that a lot. Being predominantly a bass player these days I liked what your man was doing there on the SR..
Nice man, I really appreciate you taking the time, especially knowing that you went for it and not being a progger yourself. We dig our bassist too... Thanks robbiano!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 10:50 AM

hey Tanttu I thought that was a GREAT freakin' song. Subscribed to your channel.

Good luck to you guys, wish you the best in finding a singer (you'll find one for sure).
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanttu View Post
Yup, it's in standard tuning B being the lowest string. We like what the 7th string brings to the table and have more songs written for that but nothing wrong with a good old sixer either.

Good singers seem to be hiding somewhere, hopefully not for too long tho! Thanks for taking a look, Blazer.
I was impressed and showed this to drummer in my band and he turned me onto Dream Theater who said that your song reminded him of. But after that I listened to everything they had on youtube and then rewrote a remake surf song we have to get your/Dream Theater's sound. So I say a major thanks!

That break at 4:42 is totally amazing and honestly the best and most musical thing I have heard here at Jemsite. Keyboard lines are perfect and drummer on brushes is the perfect touch. I may want to try that, too metal>softer rock>bebop>back again

We were in a rut as far as finding stuff to play after 20 years and we tried the usual jamming with Rush type or Yes type progressive rock but the new progressive rock turns it up a notch. I have never found an easy place to put in vocals so we just make them instrumental and the more accessible stuff with vocals.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 02-07-2015 at 11:23 AM.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 11:33 PM

Pretty great. Enjoyed the break, could definitely feel the emotion behind it.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzle View Post
hey Tanttu I thought that was a GREAT freakin' song. Subscribed to your channel.

Good luck to you guys, wish you the best in finding a singer (you'll find one for sure).
Razzle, thank you for the support! Really means a lot to us. We'll do our best in hunting a capable singer down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
I was impressed and showed this to drummer in my band and he turned me onto Dream Theater who said that your song reminded him of. But after that I listened to everything they had on youtube and then rewrote a remake surf song we have to get your/Dream Theater's sound. So I say a major thanks!...
Wow! Happy to have inspired you guys, that's a great compliment. We do like to have depth and dynamics in our songs whenever it's what the storyline (see what I did there? ) needs. I think we approach making songs from that perspective in general too - it's more a story than a song, at least in most of the cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZoneD25 View Post
Pretty great. Enjoyed the break, could definitely feel the emotion behind it.
Nice to hear that, RedZoneD25! I think the break is a nice breather too. We tracked the snare brushing in a living room and it came out nice. Thanks for watching!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 09:35 AM

Very nice work, congratulations!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 10:20 AM

nice song. didnt listen to it till the end though.

Tags
ibanez , instrumental , prog metal , rg1527 , solo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode